XF86Config ATI Mobility 9000 RedHat 7.3

  • Ben Strawbridge <ben@benstrawbridge.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
      Hello -

      I have a 2.0ghz Inspiron 8200, w/ 512mb ram and an ATI mobility 9000
      graphics card & 15" super uxga display.

      it all worked of the default install... not at a great resolution, but
      it worked. I wanted to try for 1600x1200 screen resolution so i made
      an edit to my Xconfigurator.

      To make a long story short I have blown out my X-Server, and it
      wouldn't start. I had a friend fiddle w/ the XF86Config file and he
      managed to get it running at abysmal 640x480 or less resolution... but
      that is obviously not acceptable.

      Can anyone out there help me -- I'd love to see some config files, or
      experiences w/ ATI Mobility 9000 64mb video card on RedHat 7.3
    • Doug Campbell
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
        > To make a long story short I have blown out my X-Server, and it
        > wouldn't start. I had a friend fiddle w/ the XF86Config file and he
        > managed to get it running at abysmal 640x480 or less resolution... but
        > that is obviously not acceptable.
        >
        > Can anyone out there help me -- I'd love to see some config files, or
        > experiences w/ ATI Mobility 9000 64mb video card on RedHat 7.3

        You could just install the ATI-supplied driver, which will
        create an XF86Config file for you, in addition to giving
        you good 2-D, 3-D, and Xv support.

        Directions for RedHat 8.0 are here, make minor mods for 7.3:

        http://www.ampersand.com/inspiron.html

        Doug
      • Ben Strawbridge <ben@benstrawbridge.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
          thanks...

          that link explained everything, none of the kernel parts were
          needed. I am now running at the same screen resolution and depth
          that I was supporting with windows XP. (1600x1200 24bit)

          ben.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Doug Campbell <soup@a...>