RE: [linux-dell-laptops] WInXP, RH Linux, i8200, dualboot

  • Greg Trzaska
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003

      I have i8200 with nvidia GForce2 GO 32 MB graphics.
      Since I installed RH8 on this machine a week ago, (with VESA driver and only
      1400x resolution) it is a nightmare... trying to install nvidia driver.
      I am not an admin and it is a hell.

      As far as I remember installing RH (older versions) on my desktops and
      servers with ATI - I never had ANY problems with graphics drivers.
      Everything worked "out of the box" - except the first one when ATI did not
      help and lock of hardware info at the time. But since RH6 I do not recall
      any problems with drivers...

      So, my opinion ... if you are advanced linux user than go ahead with nvidia
      otherwise ... I will stay away from them as far as I can.

      I am sorry but I wasted so much time on this "thing"...
      It is just annoying that in order to make it work I have to read so much and
      spend so much time on this task....
      I hope I will make it running and learn something too.

      If anyone has some guidelines for me I appreciate any help :-)

      Sincerely
      Greg

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2003
        On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 16:43, ampersoup wrote:

        > The screen blanking failure currently causes the entire display
        > to become garbage. If anyone has any ideas, please let me
        > know. Currently I have to turn off all video power-save options
        > and never close the lid with X running..

        I've also used a similar config with my new M9 based i8200, and have yet
        to get suspend to work properly either in X or on the console with the
        ATI driver. If I switch to the console, then hit Fn-ESC (suspend), when
        I wake up the machine, the console is garbled both for linux, and the
        Dell BIOS pages. Only a reboot fixes it. Your mail seems to indicate
        that you at least have suspend working in the console ... any ideas?

        Cheers,

        Eric
      • amiklas <public@mikl.as>
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2003

          After the screen looses sync, try pressing:
          1. Ctl+Alt+F1
          2. Fn+D
          3. Ctl+Alt+F7

          -- Andrew