Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Dual-booting to a removable HD?

  • Gwen M. Morse
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
      At 03:08 PM 12/28/2002 -0800, "Stephen Lau" wrote:

      >On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 09:14:01PM -0800, Gwen Morse wrote:
      >> Is the Linux drive in the bay?
      >> Yes => Wait "x" seconds (for me to manually over-ride)
      >> and then boot to Linux by default
      >> No => Boot to Windows 2000 right away.
      >
      >I don't know that the loaders like GRUB or LILO would be intelligent enough
      >to do this. maybe one
      >of the commercial ones like system commander might?

      It looks like even System Commander can't.

      My second thought was to use a "boot CD" instead of a boot floppy. That
      means, I would only boot into Linux when I had the CD in the (fixed bay)
      CD/DVD drive, and I've swapped out the floppy drive and put in the second
      HD. Would this work? Can I use a boot CD instead of a boot floppy? My BIOS
      is configured to read bootable CD's, I think.

      A last thought is, can I configure the second HD to be bootable, by itself.
      By that, I mean, the FLOPPY drive is bootable. Is it possible to somehow
      designate the bay to be bootable? (This might also be useful should I ever
      get my hands on a ZIP drive, which fits in the same bay).

      If I could, then, *maybe* I could install LILO on that drive, and it would
      just boot into Linux whenever I put the drive in and restarted (or, am I
      missing some logical point by thinking this?)

      >Go download the 'TweakUI' control panel - it lets you point your 'My
      >Documents' folder to be
      >somewhere else, including a path residing on a different drive. It's a free
      >control panel put out
      >by Microsoft.

      Thanks for this suggestion. I've configured the smaller partition to be
      FAT32, and set it as the new "My documents" folder. For the person who
      pointed out NTFS is read-able by Linux, not writable, I was aware of that.
      I wanted a single "data" drive that could be both read and written to by
      both OSes.

      Gwen
    • Gwen M. Morse
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
        At 03:49 PM 1/2/2003 -0500, "Gwen M. Morse" wrote:

        >A last thought is, can I configure the second HD to be bootable, by itself.
        >By that, I mean, the FLOPPY drive is bootable. Is it possible to somehow
        >designate the bay to be bootable? (This might also be useful should I ever
        >get my hands on a ZIP drive, which fits in the same bay).

        I'm answering my own message. When reading over previous messages in the
        group, I found that Tim Dziechowski <timd@...> answered my
        question already, to the positive. So, I will fiddle with this later today.
        Thanks Tim, and sorry for posting twice so quickly.

        Gwen