Re: [linux-dell-laptops] WInXP, RH Linux, i8200, dualboot

  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003

      I SERIOUSLY recommend the GeForce card - ATI has TERRIBLE support in my experiences. I've had no problems with the GeForce2 (except that in powersavethe screen gets mucked up on my laptop) in Linux so far - I would say this is your safest bet.

      By the say, does anyone know if TwinView works with the linux driver for the GF2?

       "xdquus <xdquus@...>" <xdquus@...> wrote:

      Hi,
      I am going to buy a new Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook very soon, and
      want to dual-boot WinXP and Linux(most probably Red Hat Linux) on
      this notebook, followings are what I choose from options provided by
      Dell:

      Inspiron 8200 2.0GHz
      Mobile Intel� Pentium� 4 Processor 2.0GHz-M
      High Quality Audio System with built in Speaker
      Screen:  15" UXGA (1600 x 1200) TFT Colour Display
      Memory:  256MB 266Mhz DDR RAM
      Internal 30GB Hard Drive
      Video Card:  ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB Graphics Card
      Fixed Bay CD, DVD & CD-RW: Integrated 24x  CD-RW/8x DVD Combo Drive
      Modem/Combo Cards:  Internal V92 Modem & 10/100 NIC
      Operating System:  Microsoft� Windows� XP Home Edition

      I have some experiences in using Linux, but still I am not very sure
      if I could install Linux on this notebook, and dual-boot between
      WinXP and Linux. I have several questions:

      1) Is this video card(ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB Graphics Card)
      supported by XFree86? In message #16519, Doug had a success using the
      latest ATI linux driver with this video card. How is the situation
      now for this video card? or should I choose nVidia GeForce4 Go 440
      with 32MB DDR Video RAM, 4X AGP? since nVidia is an active supporter
      for Linux? I might want to play some videos/movies on this notebook,
      which is the suitable video RAM and video card?

      2) Is this internal V92 Modem supported in Linux? Could I also use
      10/100 NIC under Linux?

      3) How about sound with this notebook under Linux?

      4) Could I also configure and use integrated 24x  CD-RW/8x DVD Combo
      Drive under Linux?

      Before I go ahead, it is better to know if these hardware work or not
      under Linux.

      Could anyone help? Many thanks for your time.

      Xiang

      "The clock strikes 12, and moondrops burst out at you from the hiding place.
      Miss Carrie Nurse and Susie Dear would find themselves at Four Winds Bar.
      It's the nexus of the crisis, and the origin of storms.
      Just the place to hopelessly encounter time...
      And then came me..."

      -Metallica, "Astronomy"

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • Greg Trzaska
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003
        Hi,

        I have i8200 with nvidia GForce2 GO 32 MB graphics.
        Since I installed RH8 on this machine a week ago, (with VESA driver and only
        1400x resolution) it is a nightmare... trying to install nvidia driver.
        I am not an admin and it is a hell.

        As far as I remember installing RH (older versions) on my desktops and
        servers with ATI - I never had ANY problems with graphics drivers.
        Everything worked "out of the box" - except the first one when ATI did not
        help and lock of hardware info at the time. But since RH6 I do not recall
        any problems with drivers...

        So, my opinion ... if you are advanced linux user than go ahead with nvidia
        otherwise ... I will stay away from them as far as I can.

        I am sorry but I wasted so much time on this "thing"...
        It is just annoying that in order to make it work I have to read so much and
        spend so much time on this task....
        I hope I will make it running and learn something too.

        If anyone has some guidelines for me I appreciate any help :-)

        Sincerely
        Greg

        "xdquus <xdquus@...>" <xdquus@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Eric Bourque
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2003
          On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 16:43, ampersoup wrote:

          > The screen blanking failure currently causes the entire display
          > to become garbage. If anyone has any ideas, please let me
          > know. Currently I have to turn off all video power-save options
          > and never close the lid with X running..

          I've also used a similar config with my new M9 based i8200, and have yet
          to get suspend to work properly either in X or on the console with the
          ATI driver. If I switch to the console, then hit Fn-ESC (suspend), when
          I wake up the machine, the console is garbled both for linux, and the
          Dell BIOS pages. Only a reboot fixes it. Your mail seems to indicate
          that you at least have suspend working in the console ... any ideas?

          Cheers,

          Eric
        • amiklas <public@mikl.as>
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2003
            Hi,

            After the screen looses sync, try pressing:
            1. Ctl+Alt+F1
            2. Fn+D
            3. Ctl+Alt+F7

            -- Andrew