Re: [linux-dell-laptops] WInXP, RH Linux, i8200, dualboot

  • Steve Witt
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003
      On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, xdquus <xdquus@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I am going to buy a new Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook very soon, and
      > want to dual-boot WinXP and Linux(most probably Red Hat Linux) on
      > this notebook, followings are what I choose from options provided by
      > Dell:
      >
      > Inspiron 8200 2.0GHz
      > Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 2.0GHz-M
      > High Quality Audio System with built in Speaker
      > Screen: 15" UXGA (1600 x 1200) TFT Colour Display
      > Memory: 256MB 266Mhz DDR RAM
      > Internal 30GB Hard Drive
      > Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB Graphics Card
      > Fixed Bay CD, DVD & CD-RW: Integrated 24x CD-RW/8x DVD Combo Drive
      > Modem/Combo Cards: Internal V92 Modem & 10/100 NIC
      > Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
      >
      > I have some experiences in using Linux, but still I am not very sure
      > if I could install Linux on this notebook, and dual-boot between
      > WinXP and Linux. I have several questions:

      Shouldn't be a problem at all, Linux runs on the 8200 nicely and this
      group is a tremendous resource for help.

      > 1) Is this video card(ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB Graphics Card)
      > supported by XFree86? In message #16519, Doug had a success using the
      > latest ATI linux driver with this video card. How is the situation
      > now for this video card? or should I choose nVidia GeForce4 Go 440
      > with 32MB DDR Video RAM, 4X AGP? since nVidia is an active supporter
      > for Linux? I might want to play some videos/movies on this notebook,
      > which is the suitable video RAM and video card?

      I have the GeForce4 in mine and am using the Nvidia drivers, which seem to
      be working well. I think that many feel that the ATI cards using Open
      Source video drivers will eventually prove to be superior to the Nvidia
      drivers, but I suppose that this remains to be seen. I've played movies
      from files using the mplayer application and have been working on DVDs,
      but don't have that quite there yet.

      > 2) Is this internal V92 Modem supported in Linux? Could I also use
      > 10/100 NIC under Linux?

      Not sure about the modem, I believe some have reported that they have
      gotten it working. The internal Ethernet works beautifully with the 3Com
      3c59x driver. The wireless interface of the newest machines is somewhat
      problematic. Mine came with a Dell TrueMobile 1150 wireless that works
      with the orinoco driver in the 2.4 kernel series (I'm running 2.4.18). The
      newest 8200 are shipping with a Dell TrueMobile 1180 that uses a different
      device for which there doesn't seem to be a Linux driver as yet.

      > 3) How about sound with this notebook under Linux?

      Works well.

      > 4) Could I also configure and use integrated 24x CD-RW/8x DVD Combo
      > Drive under Linux?

      It works well, I've burned a bunch of CDRs with mine. As I indicated
      before I haven't been able to read DVD's yet, but others have reported
      that they have. This is mostly an issue with the encryption on DVDs, not a
      problem with the drive.

      > Before I go ahead, it is better to know if these hardware work or not
      > under Linux.

      I personally use the Debian distribution and there is a great resource
      that I used to configure mine, checkout
      <http://rain.prohosting.com/qmatrix1/DebianDell8200/>. Although it is
      Debian centric, I should think most of this info would transfer to
      whatever distribution you choose.
    • Doug Campbell
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003
        > 1) Is this video card(ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB Graphics Card)
        > supported by XFree86? In message #16519, Doug had a success using the
        > latest ATI linux driver with this video card. How is the situation
        > now for this video card? or should I choose nVidia GeForce4 Go 440
        > with 32MB DDR Video RAM, 4X AGP? since nVidia is an active supporter
        > for Linux?

        You could make a case that ATI is a more active supporter
        of Linux than nVidia at present. Consider:

        - They both offer working 2-D & 3-D closed source drivers for Linux
        - ATI's Xv support works better, hence DVD playback works better
        - ATI publishes the specs on their cards, allowing open source
        drivers to be more easily developed

        At least, I *think* this is the current state of affairs.
        Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

        Doug
      • Sudhakar Govindavajhala
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003
          > > I have some experiences in using Linux, but still I am not very sure
          > > if I could install Linux on this notebook, and dual-boot between
          > > WinXP and Linux. I have several questions:
          >
          > Shouldn't be a problem at all, Linux runs on the 8200 nicely and this
          > group is a tremendous resource for help.
          >

          > > 1) Is this video card(ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB Graphics Card)
          > > supported by XFree86? In message #16519, Doug had a success using the
          > > latest ATI linux driver with this video card. How is the situation
          > > now for this video card? or should I choose nVidia GeForce4 Go 440
          > > with 32MB DDR Video RAM, 4X AGP? since nVidia is an active supporter
          > > for Linux? I might want to play some videos/movies on this notebook,
          > > which is the suitable video RAM and video card?
          >
          > I have the GeForce4 in mine and am using the Nvidia drivers, which seem to
          > be working well. I think that many feel that the ATI cards using Open
          > Source video drivers will eventually prove to be superior to the Nvidia
          > drivers, but I suppose that this remains to be seen. I've played movies
          > from files using the mplayer application and have been working on DVDs,
          > but don't have that quite there yet.
          >

          > > 2) Is this internal V92 Modem supported in Linux? Could I also use
          > > 10/100 NIC under Linux?
          >
          > Not sure about the modem, I believe some have reported that they have
          > gotten it working. The internal Ethernet works beautifully with the 3Com
          > 3c59x driver. The wireless interface of the newest machines is somewhat
          > problematic. Mine came with a Dell TrueMobile 1150 wireless that works
          > with the orinoco driver in the 2.4 kernel series (I'm running 2.4.18). The
          > newest 8200 are shipping with a Dell TrueMobile 1180 that uses a different
          > device for which there doesn't seem to be a Linux driver as yet.

          I got the modem to work. I bought my machine on nov 18. so hopefully,
          the hw has not changed much for you. but getting the modem to work is
          slightly tricky. see my home page.

          1180 does not have a driver for linux. i got dell to replace the 1180
          with 1150 chip. i dunno how these dell guys are with support. i have
          the $450 (3 year complete care ) warranty. so i guess that they were
          cool with the replacement....

          > > 3) How about sound with this notebook under Linux?
          >
          > Works well.
          >

          > > 4) Could I also configure and use integrated 24x CD-RW/8x DVD Combo
          > > Drive under Linux?
          >
          > It works well, I've burned a bunch of CDRs with mine. As I indicated
          > before I haven't been able to read DVD's yet, but others have reported
          > that they have. This is mostly an issue with the encryption on DVDs, not a
          > problem with the drive.
          >

          > > Before I go ahead, it is better to know if these hardware work or not
          > > under Linux.

          Sudhakar.

          > I personally use the Debian distribution and there is a great resource
          > that I used to configure mine, checkout
          > <http://rain.prohosting.com/qmatrix1/DebianDell8200/>. Although it is
          > Debian centric, I should think most of this info would transfer to
          > whatever distribution you choose.

          Sudhakar.

          Sudhakar Govindavajhala Department of Computer Science
          Graduate Student, Princeton University
          Ph : (c) +1 609 273 8407 (o) +1 609 258 1763
          http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~sudhakar
        • W.K. Vladmir Ward
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003

            I SERIOUSLY recommend the GeForce card - ATI has TERRIBLE support in my experiences. I've had no problems with the GeForce2 (except that in powersavethe screen gets mucked up on my laptop) in Linux so far - I would say this is your safest bet.

            By the say, does anyone know if TwinView works with the linux driver for the GF2?

             "xdquus <xdquus@...>" <xdquus@...> wrote:

[...]

            Could anyone help? Many thanks for your time.

            Xiang

            "The clock strikes 12, and moondrops burst out at you from the hiding place.
            Miss Carrie Nurse and Susie Dear would find themselves at Four Winds Bar.
            It's the nexus of the crisis, and the origin of storms.
            Just the place to hopelessly encounter time...
            And then came me..."

            -Metallica, "Astronomy"

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Greg Trzaska
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003

              I have i8200 with nvidia GForce2 GO 32 MB graphics.
              Since I installed RH8 on this machine a week ago, (with VESA driver and only
              1400x resolution) it is a nightmare... trying to install nvidia driver.
              I am not an admin and it is a hell.

              As far as I remember installing RH (older versions) on my desktops and
              servers with ATI - I never had ANY problems with graphics drivers.
              Everything worked "out of the box" - except the first one when ATI did not
              help and lock of hardware info at the time. But since RH6 I do not recall
              any problems with drivers...

              So, my opinion ... if you are advanced linux user than go ahead with nvidia
              otherwise ... I will stay away from them as far as I can.

              I am sorry but I wasted so much time on this "thing"...
              It is just annoying that in order to make it work I have to read so much and
              spend so much time on this task....
              I hope I will make it running and learn something too.

              If anyone has some guidelines for me I appreciate any help :-)

              Sincerely
              Greg

              "xdquus <xdquus@...>" <xdquus@...> wrote:
[...]

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Eric Bourque
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2003
                On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 16:43, ampersoup wrote:

                > The screen blanking failure currently causes the entire display
                > to become garbage. If anyone has any ideas, please let me
                > know. Currently I have to turn off all video power-save options
                > and never close the lid with X running..

                I've also used a similar config with my new M9 based i8200, and have yet
                to get suspend to work properly either in X or on the console with the
                ATI driver. If I switch to the console, then hit Fn-ESC (suspend), when
                I wake up the machine, the console is garbled both for linux, and the
                Dell BIOS pages. Only a reboot fixes it. Your mail seems to indicate
                that you at least have suspend working in the console ... any ideas?

                Cheers,

                Eric
              • amiklas <public@mikl.as>
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 1, 2003

                  After the screen looses sync, try pressing:
                  1. Ctl+Alt+F1
                  2. Fn+D
                  3. Ctl+Alt+F7

                  -- Andrew