Re: Media Base

  • Eric Oram <eoram@dibsusa.com>
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "vrezzoni
      <vicky+lgm@i...>" <vicky+lgm@i...> wrote:
      > I do this with my external USB zip, should work with any emulated
      SCSI
      > device:
      >
      > mount -tiso9660 /dev/sda4 /mnt/cdrom
      >
      > instead of /dev/sda4 it could also be /dev/sdaX where X is from 1
      to 3
      > (I suggest X=1).

      I tried this command line using sda1, sda2, and sda3 but I got the
      following line each time: sda1 (or 2,3) is not a valid block device

      When I do a cat /proc/scsi/scsi this is what I get:
      Attached devices:
      Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
      Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: RW/DVD GCC-424ON Rev: D110
      Type: Cd-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

      Is there anything else it would be called besides sda? Any other
      ideas? Once I figure out what the device is called I don't think it
      will be a problem.

      Thanks.
    • Ian Bell
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2003
        On Thursday 02 Jan 2003 3:16 pm, you wrote:
        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "vrezzoni
        >
        > <vicky+lgm@i...>" <vicky+lgm@i...> wrote:
        > > I do this with my external USB zip, should work with any emulated
        >
        > SCSI
        >
        > > device:
        > >
        > > mount -tiso9660 /dev/sda4 /mnt/cdrom
        > >
        > > instead of /dev/sda4 it could also be /dev/sdaX where X is from 1
        >
        > to 3
        >
        > > (I suggest X=1).
        >
        > I tried this command line using sda1, sda2, and sda3 but I got the
        > following line each time: sda1 (or 2,3) is not a valid block device
        >
        > When I do a cat /proc/scsi/scsi this is what I get:
        > Attached devices:
        > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
        > Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: RW/DVD GCC-424ON Rev: D110
        > Type: Cd-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
        >
        > Is there anything else it would be called besides sda? Any other
        > ideas? Once I figure out what the device is called I don't think it
        > will be a problem.
        >
        > Thanks.

        If this is a standard zip disk then the way Iomega formats them makes the
        acvessible part of the disk as the fourth partition i.e. sda4. 1,2 and 3 are
        not accessible and will not work.

        Ian
      • Hamish Rodda
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2003
          On Friday 03 January 2003 02:16, Eric Oram <eoram@...> wrote:
          > I tried this command line using sda1, sda2, and sda3 but I got the
          > following line each time: sda1 (or 2,3) is not a valid block device
          >
          > When I do a cat /proc/scsi/scsi this is what I get:
          > Attached devices:
          > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
          > Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: RW/DVD GCC-424ON Rev: D110
          > Type: Cd-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
          >
          > Is there anything else it would be called besides sda? Any other
          > ideas? Once I figure out what the device is called I don't think it
          > will be a problem.

          I think you may not have installed the scsi cdrom support module. Try
          modprobe sr_mod - you should get a /dev/scsi/(blah)/cd entry (or from memory
          /dev/scd* without devfs).

          Cheers,
          Hamish.
        • vrezzoni <vicky+lgm@infinity.hn.org>
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2003
            > > mount -tiso9660 /dev/sda4 /mnt/cdrom
            > >
            > > instead of /dev/sda4 it could also be /dev/sdaX where X is from 1
            > to 3
            > > (I suggest X=1).
            > >

            > I tried this command line using sda1, sda2, and sda3 but I got the
            > following line each time: sda1 (or 2,3) is not a valid block device

            > Is there anything else it would be called besides sda? Any other
            > ideas? Once I figure out what the device is called I don't think it
            > will be a problem.

            euh... /dev/sr0
            /dev/sda (with no number)

            I'll try to find your model of laptop tomorrow so that I can do it and
            stop guessing.

            How did you finally install your linux distro?

            Vic