i8100 + Mdk 9.0 + Avaya (Orinoco) WiFi card

  • aupprojetc <aupprojetc@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
      Hello,

      I'd just like to hear from someone that they are successfully using

      the above, because I can't seem to sort things out and it's really

      annoying me... This is my first attempt at running Linux, and

      without a working LAN/net connection, I might as well just admit
      failure and get rid of Mdk :(

      So, I've got an Inspiron 8100 (specs below) with Windows ME, XP and

      Mandrake 9.0. The install wasn't as easy as I'd hoped, but it wasn't

      a complete disaster either, and I've managed to install the Nvidia

      drivers for my Geforce2 Go :)

      I've had a number of problems in getting my wireless card to work,

      and to configure LAN/internet access properly. I've googled a lot,

      checked newsgroups etc but still cannot figure things out :(

      My current progress is

      - boot-up hangs when Mdk tries to bring up my wireless card (eth1) -

      this wasn't always the case, and I'm not sure what I changed that

      causes this :( Anyway I use interactive boot to get round that

      - when I ping, Mdk uses eth0 (the actiontec card) instead of eth1

      - when I disable eth0, I can ping my gateway (modem), but have no net

      access. Pinging other hosts gives me a host not found message (I

      have yet to ping an IP address rather than a host name, must try that

      tonight)

      - my wireless card now uses the orinoco module (instead of wvlan)

      Can anyone point me in the right direction of what to do, or at least

      confirm that it is possible to use an Avaya/Orinoco PC card in a

      i8100 that has a built in Actiontec NIC?

      [ see third post at http://www.mandrakeforum.com/article.php?sid=2386

      for why I have a bee in my bonnet over this combination ]

      Cheers

      Chris

      - i8100, GF2Go, Actiontec combo, Win ME, XP and Mandrake 9 (lilo

      bootloader)

      - Avaya Silver PC Card (rebadged Orinoco silver) - connecting to a

      RG-1000 in bridge mode that is hooked up to a Alcatel SpeedTouch

      Home/Pro ADSL modem/router (fixed IP addresses, no DHCP)

      p.s. great idea this group, and yes, I did read the (helpful) FAQ

      before posting :)
    • aupprojetc <aupprojetc@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2003
        Got things working:

        1. disabled built in ethernet card in BIOS
        2. added "GATEWAY=ip_address_of_my_router" to config file for eth0
        (eth0 = wireless card now that built in NIC is disabled). I thought
        GATEWAY was declared in drakconnect_conf???

        Oh well, things working more or less now :)

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "aupprojetc

        -