Re: [linux-dell-laptops] SuSE 8.1 on i8200

  • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
      Am Mittwoch, 1. Januar 2003 20:22 schrieb "aguggis:

      > 1) The internal modem is not recognized. There
      > seems to exist an inofficial driver, however installation
      > appears to be complicated and risky.

      See my page for SuSE 8.0, link below. May be useful, my modem
      meanwhile works perfectly.

      > 2) My NVIDIA GeForce 2 Go is only partially supported by
      > SuSE 8.1. 3D acceleration won't work. Drivers provided by
      > NVIDIA.com do not work correctly on SuSE 8.1. In
      > usergroups, I could only find solutions for Mandrake 9.0.

      I'm not familiar with these things, but on my 8.0 box,
      everything with the graphics now works fine, also OpenGL
      rendered CAD-solids.

      > 3) SuSE 8.1 does not provide the kernel sources, which are
      > needed for the installation of many drivers.

      The SuSE Kernel sources are on the DVD/CDs, but in any not
      very intuitive package (sorry, don't know the name).

      > 4) The SuSE 8.1 package states that WLAN is now supported.
      > I tried to connect to my WLAN network, but could not get it
      > running. The Linux Driver of my Avaya WLAN PC Card needs
      > the kernel sources, which are not included in SuSE 8.1.

      See above, the sources should be encluded with the distro.

      Gruß

      ce

      ======
      Installation von SuSE 8.0 auf einem Dell Inspiron 8200
      http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
      ======
    • Robert Penz

        On Wednesday 01 January 2003 20:58, mchristoph.eckert@... wrote:
        > The SuSE Kernel sources are on the DVD/CDs, but in any not
        > very intuitive package (sorry, don't know the name).
        on my suse 8.0 its just called
        kernel-source-2.4.18.SuSE-35

        I found it be searching for "kernel" in yast2

        > 2) My NVIDIA GeForce 2 Go is only partially supported by SuSE 8.1.
        > 3D acceleration won't work. Drivers provided by NVIDIA.com do not
        > work correctly on SuSE 8.1. In usergroups, I could only find
        > solutions for Mandrake 9.0.

        normaly you just need to activate the 3d support in sax and it will tell you
        that it will be downloaded automaticly the next time you call YOU (yast
        online update)

        if that doesn't work, thats may a problem of the nvidia server, see that url

        http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/wessels_nvidiaftp.html

        > 4) The SuSE 8.1 package states that WLAN is now supported. I tried
        > to connect to my WLAN network, but could not get it running. The
        > Linux Driver of my Avaya WLAN PC Card needs the kernel sources,
        > which are not included in SuSE 8.1.

        http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/wavelan.html
        http://sdb.suse.de/de/sdb/html/wavelan.html

        - --