Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Wheel mouse again

Expand Messages
  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
    Hiho Still having trouble with the wheel mouse. It s an external PS/2 mouse with the wheel - now technically the following excerpt from XF86Config should be
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2002
    • 0 Attachment
      Hiho
      Still having trouble with the wheel mouse. It's an
      external PS/2 mouse with the wheel - now technically
      the following excerpt from XF86Config should be
      correct, right?:

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "Mouse0"
      Driver "mouse"
      Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
      Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
      Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
      Option "Emulate3Buttons"
      Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
      EndSection

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "Mouse1"
      Driver "mouse"
      Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
      Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
      Option "Emulate3Buttons"
      Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
      Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
      Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
      EndSection

      Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier "Simple Layout"
      Screen "Screen 1"
      InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
      InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
      InputDevice "Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"
      EndSection

      Do I need to change the input device for Mouse1? It
      works right now which I assume is because of the fact
      that it's being seen on /dev/mouse
      Right now I think I need to change the devices it's
      pointing to, yes?

      =====

      "The clock strikes 12, and moondrops burst out at you from the hiding place.
      Miss Carrie Nurse and Susie Dear would find themselves at Four Winds Bar.
      It's the nexus of the crisis, and the origin of storms.
      Just the place to hopelessly encounter time...
      And then came me..."

      -Metallica, "Astronomy"


      __________________________________________________
      Do you Yahoo!?
      Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Chris Howells
      ... Hash: SHA1 Hi, ... /dev/input/mice is for a USB mouse. If you ve got an external PS/2 mouse, I don t know what device you should use, I would have though
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 31, 2002
      • 0 Attachment
        -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
        Hash: SHA1

        Hi,

        On Tuesday 31 December 2002 20:07, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:

        > Section "InputDevice"
        > Identifier "Mouse1"
        > Driver "mouse"
        > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        > Option "Emulate3Buttons"
        > Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
        > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        > Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
        > EndSection

        /dev/input/mice is for a USB mouse. If you've got an external PS/2 mouse, I
        don't know what device you should use, I would have though that it would just
        work.

        > Section "ServerLayout"
        > Identifier "Simple Layout"
        > Screen "Screen 1"
        > InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        > InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
        > InputDevice "Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"
        > EndSection
        >
        > Do I need to change the input device for Mouse1? It
        > works right now which I assume is because of the fact
        > that it's being seen on /dev/mouse
        > Right now I think I need to change the devices it's
        > pointing to, yes?

        Well, I can't see anything hugely wrong with your config file. What is the
        problem with it?

        - --
        Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris@..., howells@...
        Web: http://chrishowells.co.uk, PGP key: http://chrishowells.co.uk/pgp.txt
        KDE: http://www.koffice.org, http://printing.kde.org, http://usability.kde.org

        -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
        Version: GnuPG v1.2.0 (GNU/Linux)

        iD8DBQE+EjywF8Iu1zN5WiwRAhvRAKCDJcXPRosRoXCwz1kU1TaTBpiyywCgpXQl
        5GM+MB0aHX6FrESU5kpWFd4=
        =IDbj
        -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
      • W.K. Vladmir Ward
        Oddly enough I plugged in a USB mouse and it was finally recognized. For whatever reason the ports weren t working under linux though they did on Windows. I
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 31, 2002
        • 0 Attachment
          Oddly enough I plugged in a USB mouse and it was
          finally recognized. For whatever reason the ports
          weren't working under linux though they did on
          Windows. I changed a few BIOS settings - not sure
          exacly which.

          Now I just have to get my USB mouse working on my
          desktop :)


          --- Chris Howells <chrish@...> wrote:
          > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
          > Hash: SHA1
          >
          > Hi,
          >
          > On Tuesday 31 December 2002 20:07, W.K. Vladmir Ward
          > wrote:
          >
          > > Section "InputDevice"
          > > Identifier "Mouse1"
          > > Driver "mouse"
          > > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
          > > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
          > > Option "Emulate3Buttons"
          > > Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
          > > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
          > > Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
          > > EndSection
          >
          > /dev/input/mice is for a USB mouse. If you've got an
          > external PS/2 mouse, I
          > don't know what device you should use, I would have
          > though that it would just
          > work.
          >
          > > Section "ServerLayout"
          > > Identifier "Simple Layout"
          > > Screen "Screen 1"
          > > InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
          > > InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
          > > InputDevice "Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"
          > > EndSection
          > >
          > > Do I need to change the input device for Mouse1?
          > It
          > > works right now which I assume is because of the
          > fact
          > > that it's being seen on /dev/mouse
          > > Right now I think I need to change the devices
          > it's
          > > pointing to, yes?
          >
          > Well, I can't see anything hugely wrong with your
          > config file. What is the
          > problem with it?
          >
          > - --
          > Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris@...,
          > howells@...
          > Web: http://chrishowells.co.uk, PGP key:
          > http://chrishowells.co.uk/pgp.txt
          > KDE: http://www.koffice.org,
          > http://printing.kde.org, http://usability.kde.org
          >
          > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
          > Version: GnuPG v1.2.0 (GNU/Linux)
          >
          >
          iD8DBQE+EjywF8Iu1zN5WiwRAhvRAKCDJcXPRosRoXCwz1kU1TaTBpiyywCgpXQl
          > 5GM+MB0aHX6FrESU5kpWFd4=
          > =IDbj
          > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
          >
          >


          =====

          "The clock strikes 12, and moondrops burst out at you from the hiding place.
          Miss Carrie Nurse and Susie Dear would find themselves at Four Winds Bar.
          It's the nexus of the crisis, and the origin of storms.
          Just the place to hopelessly encounter time...
          And then came me..."

          -Metallica, "Astronomy"


          __________________________________________________
          Do you Yahoo!?
          Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Kwok-Ting Lee
          I think the proper device for a PS/2 mouse is /dev/psaux. If you changed ... to Option Device /dev/psaux it might work. Anyway, I hope that s helpful.
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 31, 2002
          • 0 Attachment
            I think the proper device for a PS/2 mouse is /dev/psaux. If you changed
            the line where it reads:

            > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

            to

            Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"

            it might work.

            Anyway, I hope that's helpful.

            Lucas
          • W.K. Vladmir Ward
            Actually, if I do that it views everything (external ps/2 mouse, touchpad, track stick) as imps/2 and goes psychotic. So long as it works with a USB mouse I m
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 31, 2002
            • 0 Attachment
              Actually, if I do that it views everything (external
              ps/2 mouse, touchpad, track stick) as imps/2 and goes
              psychotic.

              So long as it works with a USB mouse I'm okay. The
              wheel isn't that big of a deal :P


              --- Kwok-Ting Lee <endymion@...> wrote:
              > I think the proper device for a PS/2 mouse is
              > /dev/psaux. If you changed
              > the line where it reads:
              >
              > > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
              >
              > to
              >
              > Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
              >
              > it might work.
              >
              > Anyway, I hope that's helpful.
              >
              > Lucas
              >
              >
              >


              =====

              "The clock strikes 12, and moondrops burst out at you from the hiding place.
              Miss Carrie Nurse and Susie Dear would find themselves at Four Winds Bar.
              It's the nexus of the crisis, and the origin of storms.
              Just the place to hopelessly encounter time...
              And then came me..."

              -Metallica, "Astronomy"


              __________________________________________________
              Do you Yahoo!?
              Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • Ian Bell
              ... it is /dev/psaux Ian
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2003
              • 0 Attachment
                On Wednesday 01 Jan 2003 12:56 am, you wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                > On Tuesday 31 December 2002 20:07, W.K. Vladmir Ward wrote:
                > > Section "InputDevice"
                > > Identifier "Mouse1"
                > > Driver "mouse"
                > > Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
                > > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
                > > Option "Emulate3Buttons"
                > > Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
                > > Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
                > > Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
                > > EndSection
                >
                > /dev/input/mice is for a USB mouse. If you've got an external PS/2 mouse, I
                > don't know what device you should use, I would have though that it would
                > just work.
                >

                it is /dev/psaux

                Ian
              • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                ... The touchpad is seen on /dev/mouse (which links to psaux). If I set anything in on psaux to imps/2 the touchpad will go crazy. Like I said, USB wheel mouse
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2003
                • 0 Attachment
                  > > /dev/input/mice is for a USB mouse. If you've got
                  > an external PS/2 mouse, I
                  > > don't know what device you should use, I would
                  > have though that it would
                  > > just work.
                  > >
                  >
                  > it is /dev/psaux

                  The touchpad is seen on /dev/mouse (which links to
                  psaux). If I set anything in on psaux to imps/2 the
                  touchpad will go crazy.

                  Like I said, USB wheel mouse works, so it's all good. :)

                  =====

                  "The clock strikes 12, and moondrops burst out at you from the hiding place.
                  Miss Carrie Nurse and Susie Dear would find themselves at Four Winds Bar.
                  It's the nexus of the crisis, and the origin of storms.
                  Just the place to hopelessly encounter time...
                  And then came me..."

                  -Metallica, "Astronomy"


                  __________________________________________________
                  Do you Yahoo!?
                  Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • Ian Bell
                  ... I have a 2650. In the bios set up I have set autodisable for the touchpad so it turns off when I plug in the Dell PS2 wheel mouse. I have no problems
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 1, 2003
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On Wednesday 01 Jan 2003 5:06 pm, you wrote:
                    > > > /dev/input/mice is for a USB mouse. If you've got
                    > >
                    > > an external PS/2 mouse, I
                    > >
                    > > > don't know what device you should use, I would
                    > >
                    > > have though that it would
                    > >
                    > > > just work.
                    > >
                    > > it is /dev/psaux
                    >
                    > The touchpad is seen on /dev/mouse (which links to
                    > psaux). If I set anything in on psaux to imps/2 the
                    > touchpad will go crazy.
                    >
                    > Like I said, USB wheel mouse works, so it's all good. :)
                    >

                    I have a 2650. In the bios set up I have set autodisable for the touchpad so
                    it turns off when I plug in the Dell PS2 wheel mouse. I have no problems
                    with the touchpad going crazy. Do you have a similar bios setting?

                    Ian
                  • W.K. Vladmir Ward
                    Yeah, I have a similar setting. But it s still on psaux so I d need to always have the mouse plugged in if I want imps/2 compatability, right? ... ===== The
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 1, 2003
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Yeah, I have a similar setting. But it's still on
                      psaux so I'd need to always have the mouse plugged in
                      if I want imps/2 compatability, right?


                      --- Ian Bell <ian@...> wrote:
                      > On Wednesday 01 Jan 2003 5:06 pm, you wrote:
                      > > > > /dev/input/mice is for a USB mouse. If you've
                      > got
                      > > >
                      > > > an external PS/2 mouse, I
                      > > >
                      > > > > don't know what device you should use, I would
                      > > >
                      > > > have though that it would
                      > > >
                      > > > > just work.
                      > > >
                      > > > it is /dev/psaux
                      > >
                      > > The touchpad is seen on /dev/mouse (which links to
                      > > psaux). If I set anything in on psaux to imps/2
                      > the
                      > > touchpad will go crazy.
                      > >
                      > > Like I said, USB wheel mouse works, so it's all
                      > good. :)
                      > >
                      >
                      > I have a 2650. In the bios set up I have set
                      > autodisable for the touchpad so
                      > it turns off when I plug in the Dell PS2 wheel
                      > mouse. I have no problems
                      > with the touchpad going crazy. Do you have a
                      > similar bios setting?
                      >
                      > Ian
                      >


                      =====

                      "The clock strikes 12, and moondrops burst out at you from the hiding place.
                      Miss Carrie Nurse and Susie Dear would find themselves at Four Winds Bar.
                      It's the nexus of the crisis, and the origin of storms.
                      Just the place to hopelessly encounter time...
                      And then came me..."

                      -Metallica, "Astronomy"


                      __________________________________________________
                      Do you Yahoo!?
                      Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                    • Ian Bell
                      ... Exactly IAn
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003
                      • 0 Attachment
                        On Wednesday 01 Jan 2003 9:24 pm, you wrote:
                        > Yeah, I have a similar setting. But it's still on
                        > psaux so I'd need to always have the mouse plugged in
                        > if I want imps/2 compatability, right?
                        >
                        >

                        Exactly

                        IAn
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.