Agpgart and r128 drivers.

  • Vance Wheelock
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2000
      I Have an Insprion 8000. Has anyone had problems on any of the other
      laptops in getting r128.o driver loaded? I have been trying to load the
      4.01a version shipped with RH 7.0. I have been lately trying to use the
      one off of Jeff Lessem's website. I just downloaded and recompiled the
      lates 4.01h source code. Using the same XF86Config-4 file which I can
      get the 1400x1050 working after the new compilation, but I still get the
      following issues:

      agpgart: agpgart: Detected an Intel i815, but could not find the
      secondary
      device
      /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/agpgart.o: init_module: Device or resource
      busy
      /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/agpgart.o: insmod
      /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/agpgart.o failed
      /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/misc/agpgart.o: insmod r128 failed
      Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
      including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

      I have no clue about the i815 let alone what it's secondary device is
      and don't know where to find documentation. The Xfree86 site
      documentation is very scarce and doesn't explain much or point to other
      docs. Can anyone fill me in on any of this information or how to get the
      r128.o driver working?

      Vance

      --
      Vance Wheelock II, Software Engineer, weddingstreetjournal.com
      "On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2000
        Vance Wheelock wrote:

        > I Have an Insprion 8000. Has anyone had problems on any of the other
        > laptops in getting r128.o driver loaded? I have been trying to load the
        > 4.01a version shipped with RH 7.0. I have been lately trying to use the
        > one off of Jeff Lessem's website. I just downloaded and recompiled the
        > lates 4.01h source code. Using the same XF86Config-4 file which I can
        > get the 1400x1050 working after the new compilation, but I still get the
        > following issues:

        had problems too running the redhat XFree864.0.1a. upgrading to
        XFree4.0.1f (using the Mandrake 7.2 development rpm's, found them via
        http://www.rpmfind.net ) worked fine including direct rendering.
        only problem: i had to modify the start-up configuration of the x-font
        server xfs. can provide details if necessary
      • Richard Simpson
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2000
          On Thu, 07 Dec 2000, you wrote:
          >I Have an Insprion 8000. Has anyone had problems on any of the other
          >laptops in getting r128.o driver loaded?

          Well, I have an i7500, so I can't speak from direct experience, but looking at
          the Dell web site I see that the 8000 has an ATI Mobility M4 chip whilst the
          5000e has a Rage Mobility 128 (which the r128 driver does support) and my 7500
          has a plain Rage Mobility (which it currently does not).

          >agpgart: agpgart: Detected an Intel i815, but could not find the
          >secondary device

          Well, the i810 is a graphics chip. but I don't know about the i815. Is it the
          AGP bridge?

          >I have no clue about the i815 let alone what it's secondary device is
          >and don't know where to find documentation. The Xfree86 site
          >documentation is very scarce and doesn't explain much or point to other
          >docs.

          Look harder. There's heaps of documentation at XFree86, but its not logically
          organised (and admittedly, often not very helpful).

          >Can anyone fill me in on any of this information or how to get the
          >r128.o driver working?

          Well, we need to decide if your chip is supported by XFree86, and to do that we
          need to know exactly what it is. Could you let us have the output of the
          'lspci -v' command?

          Perhaps someone who actually has an 8000 could shed more light than me.

          Richard Simpson

          Richard Simpson
          Farnborough, Hants, Uk Fax: 01252 392976
          rsimpson@...