[linux-dell-laptops] Re: SXGA+ with I7500

  • richard@dftltd.demon.co.uk
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 7, 1999
      iwa-@... wrote:
      =162
      > Dear Everybody,
      >
      > Does anyone have success to install Linux with SXGA+ on I7500 ?
      > Any hints to solve the problem is welcome.

      I am having problems too. I have got Linux installed so it will run in
      command mode, but I cannot get 'X' to display at all. Have you had any
      luck?
      Regards,

      Richard
    • steveh@eecs.umich.edu
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 8, 1999
        > > Does anyone have success to install Linux with SXGA+ on I7500 ?
        > > Any hints to solve the problem is welcome.

        See http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/ and
        http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/linuxonlaptops/

        You will be able to get 1280x1024 by using Method #4.
      • ssedlmeyer@crosswalk.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 1999
          iwa-@... wrote:
          =162
          > Dear Everybody,
          >
          > Does anyone have success to install Linux with SXGA+ on I7500 ?
          > Any hints to solve the problem is welcome.

          I think someone already posted a link to the instruction to get X
          working using the VESA Framebuffer server. I think you will have to
          wait for 3.3.6 or 4.0 before you will get native support for the I7500
          mostly because the Mach64 server doesn't support the Mobility-P chip
          just yet.
        • Neil
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 16, 1999
            On Tue, 16 Nov 1999 09:57:51 -0800, you wrote:

            >I have an I7500 with a XGA display and am unable to get X windows to
            >work either. Please help me . My email address is AndreaG287@....

            have you searched through the list archives ? there's various XFConfig files and
            suggestions from list members

            Neil
          • andreag287@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 16, 1999
              =165

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 16, 1999
                > I have an I7500 with a XGA display and am unable to get X windows to
                > work either. Please help me . My email address is AndreaG287@....

                See http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/

                By the way, 1400x1050 is now working using the server from Method 1 on
                that site. There is more discussion on this matter at
                http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/linux-notebook/discussion.html