suspend to ram, I4150

  • Dan Christensen
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2002
      I've got an Inspiron 4150. On my wife's I4000 and on my previous
      I4100, I had no trouble with suspend to ram; it just worked. But with
      my I4150, running the same kernel (2.4.19), when I suspend to ram the
      screen turns to a bright white and stays that way. When I resume,
      the screen is restored and everything works fine. I've also tried
      2.4.20, and it behaves the same way. The screen even stays white
      when I close the lid.

      I'm using apm and not acpi (and also not apic). I have the radeon
      32M card (ATI Radeon Mobility M7 LW rev 0). The problem happens
      even if I shut down X windows and rmmod the radeon and agpgart
      modules before suspending.

      Any suggestions?

      Thanks,

      Dan
    • Pavel Akimov
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2002
        Hi Dan:

        Just want to share my poor experience with you, not really help...

        I'm running SuSE linux 8.1 on an Inspiron 4150 with BIOS A03. I have
        apparently the same version of kernel (2.4.19). First, I tried to get
        ACPI to work. It didn't go smoothly---the laptop would hang during the
        reboot. Without trying to find out the reasons, I switched to apm.
        Fortunately, apm works smoothly.

        To get it to work, I used 2 kernel parameters: apm=on, acpi=off. I
        also activated apmd (1.0.1-19). That was it!

        Now I can suspend to ram using Fn Esc. And it indeed suspends. Upon
        pressing the power button, the laptop resumes. After resuming, I see
        some minor side effects, like losing an established before suspend
        eth0 connection or slowing down the keyboard rate, all known issues.
        But apart from that, I have no further problems visible to me :)

        Pavel

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Dan Christensen <jdc@u...> wrote:
        > I've got an Inspiron 4150. On my wife's I4000 and on my previous
        > I4100, I had no trouble with suspend to ram; it just worked. But
        > with my I4150, running the same kernel (2.4.19), when I suspend to
        > ram the
        > screen turns to a bright white and stays that way. When I resume,
        > the screen is restored and everything works fine. I've also tried
        > 2.4.20, and it behaves the same way. The screen even stays white
        > when I close the lid.
        >
        > I'm using apm and not acpi (and also not apic). I have the radeon
        > 32M card (ATI Radeon Mobility M7 LW rev 0). The problem happens
        > even if I shut down X windows and rmmod the radeon and agpgart
        > modules before suspending.
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Dan
      • Dan Christensen
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2002
          "Pavel Akimov" <dipolak@...> writes:

          > I'm running SuSE linux 8.1 on an Inspiron 4150 with BIOS A03. I have
          > apparently the same version of kernel (2.4.19).
          > Fortunately, apm works smoothly.
          >
          > To get it to work, I used 2 kernel parameters: apm=on, acpi=off. I
          > also activated apmd (1.0.1-19). That was it!

          I'm using Debian, and have version 3.0.2-6 of apmd. Are you sure
          of the version number you are using? In 1996, the changelog for
          my apmd says that it was at version 2.1.0.

          > Now I can suspend to ram using Fn Esc. And it indeed suspends. Upon
          > pressing the power button, the laptop resumes. After resuming, I see
          > some minor side effects, like losing an established before suspend
          > eth0 connection or slowing down the keyboard rate, all known issues.
          > But apart from that, I have no further problems visible to me :)

          I'm also using BIOS A03. So you don't get a white screen when the
          laptop is suspended? What video card do you have?

          Thanks for the input. Can anyone else report success or failure
          with suspend-to-ram on an I4150 with the radeon video card?

          Dan
        • Pavel Akimov
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2002
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Dan Christensen <jdc@u...> wrote:

            > I'm using Debian, and have version 3.0.2-6 of apmd. Are you sure
            > of the version number you are using? In 1996, the changelog for
            > my apmd says that it was at version 2.1.0.

            Yes, you're right. There was a typo in my info.

            The output "apmd -V" gives: apmd version 3.0.2
            YaST2 tells more about the source RPM: apmd-3.0.2-184.src.rpm

            Here is a part of dmesg's output:
            Linux version 2.4.19-4GB (root@...) (gcc version 3.2) #1
            Fri Sep 13 13:14:56 UTC 2002

            ACPI: have wakeup address 0xc0001000
            Dell Inspiron with broken BIOS detected. Refusing to enable the local
            APIC.
            Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda6 hdc=ide-scsi vga=791 apm=on
            acpi=off
            ACPI: Subsystem revision 20020829
            ACPI: Disabled via command line (acpi=off)
            apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x03 (Driver version 1.16)

            > I'm also using BIOS A03. So you don't get a white screen when the
            > laptop is suspended? What video card do you have?

            No, I don't. The screen does get black on suspend.

            Here is the output of "lspci":

            00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82845 845 (Brookdale) Chipset Host
            Bridge (rev 04)
            00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82845 845 (Brookdale) Chipset AGP
            Bridge (rev 04)
            00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM USB (Hub #1) (rev 02)
            00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801BAM/CAM PCI Bridge (rev 42)
            00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801CAM ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
            00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801CAM IDE U100 (rev 02)
            00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97
            Audio (rev 02)
            00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Modem (rev 02)
            01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon
            Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility 7500]
            02:00.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado]
            (rev 78)
            02:01.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420
            02:01.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420

            As you see, my video card is also ATI Radeon Mobility.

            Good luck.
            Pavel