Re: no s2d on i8100

  • Daniel Heckenberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2002
      Hi JM,

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Jean-Michel <jmklist@f...> wrote:
      > your fdisk -l reports 578308 blocks :
      > 578308 * 512B = 296093696 Bytes
      > = 282 MBytes

      The blocks are 1024 bytes, I believe, making a 564MB partition. I
      don't pretend to understand partition tables in any depth but tools
      which report the size in bytes/MB do list that partition as 564MB.

      > >> I would be very surprised if the s2d properly working with BIOS
      > A7 and=
      >

      > >> Geforce2
      >
      > DH> Is it true that s2d doesn't work with recent BIOS revisions on
      the i8100?

      > DH> What is the most recent BIOS that people have working with s2d?
      >

      > with A8-A14 revision BIOS, my laptop freeze when it write in
      > the suspend partition.

      Ahah. This is useful info - thanks. I don't remember what
      features/fixes have been introduced since A8 but perhaps I'll try
      going back and checking the s2d behaviour.

      I wonder if this should be added to the FAQ?

      Cheers,
      Daniel

      > DH> Thanks,
      > DH> Daniel
      >

      > DH> --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "jmklist@f..." <jmklist@f...>
      wrote:
      > >> Hi Daniel
      > >>
      > >> if I am not mistaken, your partition space for the s2d is
      aproximately
      > >> 256Mo or you have 512Mo RAM
      > >>
      > >> I would be very surprised if the s2d properly working with BIOS
      > A7 and=
      >

      > >> Geforce2
      > >>
      > >> JM
      > >>

      > >> Message Original:
      > >> -----------------
      > >> A partir de: Daniel Heckenberg heckendr@y...
      > >> Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:19:37 -0000
      > >> A: linux-dell-laptops@y...
      > >> Sujet: [linux-dell-laptops] no s2d on i8100
      > >>

      > >> hi folks,
      > >>
      > >> After a hard disk replacement, I thought that I'd finally go to
      the troub=

      > DH> le
      > >> of getting suspend to disk
      > >> working - and trouble it has been...
      > >>
      > >> Following the procedure given in the LDL FAQ I managed to get
      the
      > >> partitions set up happily using the mks2d
      > >> command with no options. However when I attempted to s2d using
      Fn+a I
      > >> received an error of insufficient
      > >> disk space. So... I moved the windows partition back and
      removed the s2d=

      > >> partition and remade it a little
      > >> larger. Now when I attempt to s2d I get an "Unrecoverable disk
      error". =

      > >> In both cases the behaviour is similar except for the final
      error message=

      > DH> :
      > >> after the Fn+a combo is pressed
      > >> the Dell message screen pops up and the system writes to the
      disk for
      > >> around 10s. Then the screen gets
      > >> covered in garbage (in a low res graphics mode of some sort)...
      and then =

      > >> after another 10s or so the white
      > >> Dell screen pops up again with the error.
      > >>
      > >> Has anyone had similar experiences or could shed any light on
      this?

      > >> System config:
      > >> i8100, PIII 1.13Ghz
      > >> 512Mb RAM
      > >> 32Mb GeForce2go
      > >> 20Gb IBM HDD.
      > >> BIOS A14
      > >>
      > >> fdisk -l for my current config (complains of unrecoverable disk
      error): =

      > >> Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2432 cylinders
      > >> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
      > >>
      > >> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      > >> /dev/hda1 1 72 578308+ 84 OS/2 hidden C:
      drive
      > >> /dev/hda2 * 73 683 4907857+ b Win95 FAT32
      > >> /dev/hda3 684 686 24097+ 83 Linux
      > >> /dev/hda4 687 2432 14024745 f Win95 Ext'd
      (LBA)
      > >> /dev/hda5 687 1196 4096543+ 83 Linux
      > >> /dev/hda6 1197 1261 522081 82 Linux swap
      > >> /dev/hda7 1262 2432 9406026 c Win95 FAT32
      (LBA)

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/=