linux media bay installation on dell lattitude

  • Patrick MacDonald
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 29, 2002
      Message
      I've got a lattitude with a 40gb primar drive for windows xp. I have a 2nd 12 gb drive I would like to install linux on and boot from the media bay of my dell.

      I installed linux onto the 12 gb drive by making it the primary drive. Unfortunately when I put it into the media bay and try to boot, it doesn't. It gets partway thru the boot process and then, I think, it realizes it is not in the same location as it was when linux was installed. At that point it halts.

      When the drive is in the media bay, I cannot use the cd-rom since there is only one media bay. And even if I could (I do have a docking station that would allow me to put both the cd rom and the media bay drive in at the same time) I'm afraid that the install would attempt to install on my primary drive rather than the media bay drive.

      My question is how have other people addressed this problem (if at all).

      Thanks in advance,

      Pat
    • Jay
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 29, 2002
        I am about to do the same thing you want to do. I thought of these
        two possibilities to get the Linux on the laptop:

        1. Share the CD Drive on one of my other computers and load the
        laptop over the network.

        2. Copy the Linux CD's on to my laptop primary hard drive and load
        from that.

        One of these should work.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Patrick MacDonald" <patmac00@a...> wrote:
        > I've got a lattitude with a 40gb primar drive for windows xp. I have a
        > 2nd 12 gb drive I would like to install linux on and boot from the media
        > bay of my dell.
        >
        > I installed linux onto the 12 gb drive by making it the primary drive.
        > Unfortunately when I put it into the media bay and try to boot, it
        > doesn't. It gets partway thru the boot process and then, I think, it
        > realizes it is not in the same location as it was when linux was
        > installed. At that point it halts.
        >
        > When the drive is in the media bay, I cannot use the cd-rom since there
        > is only one media bay. And even if I could (I do have a docking station
        > that would allow me to put both the cd rom and the media bay drive in at
        > the same time) I'm afraid that the install would attempt to install on
        > my primary drive rather than the media bay drive.
        >
        > My question is how have other people addressed this problem (if at all).
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Pat
      • Patrick MacDonald
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 29, 2002
          Message
          Ok. I managed the install onto my media bay drive with only a few casualties...

          Using my docking station for my cd and floppy I was able to have the media bay hard drive installed in my lattitude. I booted from the floppy (because the docking station's cd was not available as a boot device) and installed linux on the media bay hard drive.

          During the install I elected not to install LILO but the install process still managed to obliterate the MBR on my primary hard drive - luckily my xp installation disk allowed me to fix that.

          Of course during the install, the network device that was found was my docking station's ethernet adapter, not the netgear pcmcia ethernet card I had installed nor my us robotics wireless card.

          Ok now I need help with the following:
          1. How do I invoke lilo to write a bootstrap to my media bay hard drive (hdc) so I don't have to keep starting the boot process from floppy.
          2. How do I get the system to recognize my netgear card so that I can function when not attached to the docking station?

          I am about to do the same thing you want to do.  I thought of these
          two possibilities to get the Linux on the laptop:

          1.  Share the CD Drive on one of my other computers and load the
          laptop over the network.

          2.  Copy the Linux CD's on to my laptop primary hard drive and load
          from that.

          One of these should work.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Patrick MacDonald" <patmac00@a...> wrote:
          > I've got a lattitude with a 40gb primar drive for windows xp. I have a
          > 2nd 12 gb drive I would like to install linux on and boot from the media
          > bay of my dell.

          > I installed linux onto the 12 gb drive by making it the primary drive.
          > Unfortunately when I put it into the media bay and try to boot, it
          > doesn't. It gets partway thru the boot process and then, I think, it
          > realizes it is not in the same location as it was when linux was
          > installed. At that point it halts.

          > When the drive is in the media bay, I cannot use the cd-rom since there
          > is only one media bay. And even if I could (I do have a docking station
          > that would allow me to put both the cd rom and the media bay drive in at
          > the same time) I'm afraid that the install would attempt to install on
          > my primary drive rather than the media bay drive.

          > My question is how have other people addressed this problem (if at all).

          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > Pat

        • Jay
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2002
            I used NetConf in Mandrake to get my Latitude to use the PCMIA network
            card rather than the docking station card. I am assuming you will
            find both of them listed in there when you get there and you can tell
            it which one to start.

            Since you didn't install LILO it won't boot from the hard disk, you
            may be able to insert the distribution disk and select rescue and get
            that fixed I don't recall for sure. Else if you reinstall it just
            make the right selections.

          • Patrick MacDonald
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 30, 2002
              Message
              For some reason when I try to reinstall lilo to boot from my media bay drive it doesn't take. I get the following on my screen and then it halts

              LI

              my lilo.conf has, as its first statement, the following:

              boot=/dev/hdc

              where hdc is the media bay device.

              Any clues as to what might be going on ?

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 30, 2002
                My drive isn't in the media slot but it is swapped in and out with the
                original drive. This is a whole other issue but it works and I rarely
                use Windows so I'm good to go.

                I looked on Dell's website and found some discussions about getting it
                to boot from the media drive:

                http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=latit_harddrive&message.id=4087

                You may get some ideas here of what to check.

              • Patrick MacDonald
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
                  Message
                  Thanks for the help, Jay. I ended up doing what you did - swap the second drive in and out with the primary. Its workable, at least until I get more familiar with linux.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 1, 2002
                    You're welcome . . I find I'm using Linux most of the time so this
                    works very well for me. Good luck you'll find Linux works easily once
                    you catch the drift of it.