no s2d on i8100

  • Daniel Heckenberg
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 29, 2002
      hi folks,

      After a hard disk replacement, I thought that I'd finally go to the trouble of getting suspend to disk
      working - and trouble it has been...

      Following the procedure given in the LDL FAQ I managed to get the partitions set up happily using the mks2d
      command with no options. However when I attempted to s2d using Fn+a I received an error of insufficient
      disk space. So... I moved the windows partition back and removed the s2d partition and remade it a little
      larger. Now when I attempt to s2d I get an "Unrecoverable disk error".

      In both cases the behaviour is similar except for the final error message: after the Fn+a combo is pressed
      the Dell message screen pops up and the system writes to the disk for around 10s. Then the screen gets
      covered in garbage (in a low res graphics mode of some sort)... and then after another 10s or so the white
      Dell screen pops up again with the error.

      Has anyone had similar experiences or could shed any light on this?

      System config:
      i8100, PIII 1.13Ghz
      512Mb RAM
      32Mb GeForce2go
      20Gb IBM HDD.
      BIOS A14

      fdisk -l for my current config (complains of unrecoverable disk error):

      Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 2432 cylinders
      Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

      Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
      /dev/hda1 1 72 578308+ 84 OS/2 hidden C: drive
      /dev/hda2 * 73 683 4907857+ b Win95 FAT32
      /dev/hda3 684 686 24097+ 83 Linux
      /dev/hda4 687 2432 14024745 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
      /dev/hda5 687 1196 4096543+ 83 Linux
      /dev/hda6 1197 1261 522081 82 Linux swap
      /dev/hda7 1262 2432 9406026 c Win95 FAT32 (LBA)

      many thanks,
      daniel
    • jmklist@free.fr
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 29, 2002
        Hi Daniel

        if I am not mistaken, your partition space for the s2d is aproximately
        256Mo or you have 512Mo RAM

        I would be very surprised if the s2d properly working with BIOS > A7 and
        Geforce2

        JM

        Message Original:
        -----------------
        A partir de: Daniel Heckenberg heckendr@...
        Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:19:37 -0000
        A: linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
        Sujet: [linux-dell-laptops] no s2d on i8100

[...]

        mail2web - Vérifiez votre courrier électronique depuis le web sur
        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • Daniel Heckenberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 29, 2002
          Hi JM, list,

          > if I am not mistaken, your partition space for the s2d is aproximately
          > 256Mo or you have 512Mo RAM

          Can you explain what you mean? The partition space is now around 564Mb whi=
          ch is larger than:
          - what mks2d uses by default (it complains of insufficient partition size a=
          t that size)
          - what one gets with the (512 + 32) * 1.01 + 4Mb formula (554Mb) (also insu=
          fficient)

          So I don't think that the problem is just insufficient partition size... (w=
          hat does "unrecoverable disk
          error" mean anyway?!)

          > I would be very surprised if the s2d properly working with BIOS > A7 and=

          > Geforce2

          Is it true that s2d doesn't work with recent BIOS revisions on the i8100?

          What is the most recent BIOS that people have working with s2d?

          Thanks,
          Daniel

        • Jean-Michel
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2002
            Hi Daniel,

            Le samedi 30 novembre 2002 à 03:53:27, vous écriviez :

            DH> Hi JM, list,

            >> if I am not mistaken, your partition space for the s2d is aproximately
            >> 256Mo or you have 512Mo RAM

            DH> Can you explain what you mean? The partition space is now around 564Mb whi=

            DH> ch is larger than:
            DH> - what mks2d uses by default (it complains of insufficient partition size a=

            DH> t that size)
            DH> - what one gets with the (512 + 32) * 1.01 + 4Mb formula (554Mb) (also insu=

            DH> fficient)

            DH> So I don't think that the problem is just insufficient partition size... (w=

            DH> hat does "unrecoverable disk
            DH> error" mean anyway?!)

            your fdisk -l reports 578308 blocks :
            578308 * 512B = 296093696 Bytes
            = 282 MBytes

            >> I would be very surprised if the s2d properly working with BIOS > A7 and=

            >> Geforce2

            DH> Is it true that s2d doesn't work with recent BIOS revisions on the i8100?

            DH> What is the most recent BIOS that people have working with s2d?

            with A8-A14 revision BIOS, my laptop freeze when it write in
            the suspend partition.

            Cordialement,
            Jean-Michel mailto:jmklist@...
          • Daniel Heckenberg
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 30, 2002
              Hi JM,

              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Jean-Michel <jmklist@f...> wrote:
              > your fdisk -l reports 578308 blocks :
              > 578308 * 512B = 296093696 Bytes
              > = 282 MBytes

              The blocks are 1024 bytes, I believe, making a 564MB partition. I
              don't pretend to understand partition tables in any depth but tools
              which report the size in bytes/MB do list that partition as 564MB.

              > >> I would be very surprised if the s2d properly working with BIOS
              > A7 and=
              >

              > >> Geforce2
              >
              > DH> Is it true that s2d doesn't work with recent BIOS revisions on
              the i8100?

              > DH> What is the most recent BIOS that people have working with s2d?
              >

              > with A8-A14 revision BIOS, my laptop freeze when it write in
              > the suspend partition.

              Ahah. This is useful info - thanks. I don't remember what
              features/fixes have been introduced since A8 but perhaps I'll try
              going back and checking the s2d behaviour.

              I wonder if this should be added to the FAQ?

              Cheers,
              Daniel

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/=