Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Question: how to setup laptop screen + external monitor in linux

  • Max R. Andersen
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2000
      > Please accept my apologies if this has been asked and answered
      > before...

      It has by me - but no definite answers...yet!

      > I own a Dell Inspiron 3800. (How) can I setup my X server such that it
      > will work with both my laptop display and an external monitor (that
      > is, both displays show a different part of the X screen, and the mouse
      > can be moved between them) ?

      XFree86 4 has this capability as it has multihead support(more than one
      videooutput) and Xinerama(span the output across mulithead setup).

      And the card in Inspiron is actually supported by the drivers in the X
      that is bundled with RedHat 7 (and others), there is just a catch....

      It seems that the driver will only send output to both screens if both
      screens is activated at driver-initialization process....and guess
      what: That is not an option for Inspiron 3800 :( It is not avaiable as any
      setting in the BIOS or anywhere else I know.

      I know that windoze can do this, but that does not help much :(

      Max R. Andersen (max@...)