Question: how to setup laptop screen + external monitor in linux

  • Martijn van der Valk
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2000
      Hi all,

      Please accept my apologies if this has been asked and answered
      before...

      I own a Dell Inspiron 3800. (How) can I setup my X server such that it
      will work with both my laptop display and an external monitor (that
      is, both displays show a different part of the X screen, and the mouse
      can be moved between them) ?

      kind regards,

      Martijn van der Valk.
    • Max R. Andersen
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2000
        > Please accept my apologies if this has been asked and answered
        > before...

        It has by me - but no definite answers...yet!

        > I own a Dell Inspiron 3800. (How) can I setup my X server such that it
        > will work with both my laptop display and an external monitor (that
        > is, both displays show a different part of the X screen, and the mouse
        > can be moved between them) ?

        XFree86 4 has this capability as it has multihead support(more than one
        videooutput) and Xinerama(span the output across mulithead setup).

        And the card in Inspiron is actually supported by the drivers in the X
        that is bundled with RedHat 7 (and others), there is just a catch....

        It seems that the driver will only send output to both screens if both
        screens is activated at driver-initialization process....and guess
        what: That is not an option for Inspiron 3800 :( It is not avaiable as any
        setting in the BIOS or anywhere else I know.

        I know that windoze can do this, but that does not help much :(

        Max R. Andersen (max@...)