Inspiron 8000?

  • Vance Wheelock
    Message 1 of 23 , Dec 3, 2000
      Does anyone have a Dell Inspiron 8000 besides me yet?

      If so, do you have all video modes working? (not just 1400x1050)
      If so, how is it that you did it? (exact details please)

      Can you send me your xf86config-4 file?

      Did you get pcmcia working?

      Vance
      --
      Vance Wheelock II, Software Engineer, weddingstreetjournal.com
      "On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 4, 2000

        I should be looking into this problem as soon as I receive my
        Inspiron 8000. I will keep you posted!

        Peter

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Vance Wheelock <vance@c...>

      • crawdad@vt.edu
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 5, 2000
          wrote:
          > Does anyone have a Dell Inspiron 8000 besides me yet?
          >
          > If so, do you have all video modes working? (not just 1400x1050)
          > If so, how is it that you did it? (exact details please)
          >
          > Can you send me your xf86config-4 file?
          >
          > Did you get pcmcia working?
          >

          > Vance

          I just got my Inspiron 8000 yesterday! The XF86 config problem was
          difficult, but, with some input from someone on
          comp.windows.x.i386unix, I have mine working. It sounds like yours
          must be working also, but if not, here's my XF86Config-4 file.

          I have not gotten PCMCIA working yet. With the RedHat7.0 distributed
          version, the kernel panics when the pcmcia control starts. Even the
          latest version from sourgeforce.net doesn't fix this. If anyone can
          provide input, I'd be much obliged.

          -Daniel

          # XFree86 4.0 configuration generated by Xconfigurator

          Section "ServerLayout"
          Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
          Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
          InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
          InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
          EndSection

          # By default, Red Hat Linux 6.0 and later use xfs

          Section "Files"
          FontPath "unix/:7100"
          EndSection

          # This loads all the modules...

          Section "Module"
          Load "GLcore"
          Load "dbe"
          Load "dri"
          Load "extmod"
          Load "glx"
          Load "pex5"
          Load "record"
          Load "xie"
          Load "v4l"
          EndSection

          Section "InputDevice"
          Identifier "Keyboard0"
          Driver "keyboard"
          Option "XkbLayout" "us"
          EndSection

          Section "InputDevice"
          Identifier "Mouse0"
          Driver "mouse"
          Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
          Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
          Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
          Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
          EndSection

          Section "Monitor"
          Identifier "CustomConfiguration"
          VendorName "Unknown"
          ModelName "Unknown"
          HorizSync 31.5 - 82.0
          VertRefresh 50 - 70
          EndSection

          Section "Device"
          Identifier "ATI|Rage Mobility M4 AGP"
          # Driver "accel"
          Driver "r128"
          BoardName "Unknown"
          VideoRam 32768
          EndSection

          Section "Screen"
          Identifier "Screen0"
          Device "ATI|Rage Mobility M4 AGP"
          Monitor "CustomConfiguration"
          DefaultColorDepth 24
          Subsection "Display"
          Depth 24
          Modes "1400x1050"
          ViewPort 0 0
          EndSubsection
          # Subsection "Display"
          # Depth 32
          # Modes "1280x1024"
          # ViewPort 0 0
          # EndSubsection
          EndSection

          Section "DRI"
          EndSection
        • jpg@post.harvard.edu
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 9, 2000
            I'm looking to buy a heavy-duty Linux laptop. I'm hoping the list
            might provide advice as to the best Linux-compatible model and
            configuration. I'm a Linux newbie, but I spent the 80s administering
            and programming Unix boxes. I'm hoping that means I have a clue.
            I'm not looking for a research project. I want to choose a
            reasonably well-supported configuration that won't involve my writing
            device drivers. I know there are some hardware components that don't
            work well with Linux. I'd like to avoid them.
            I'm looking at a 850MHz Inspiron 8000 with 512Meg, 32 Gig, 24XCD,
            and 8XCDRW. From what I can tell, the Internal Mini-PCI 10/100 + 56K
            Capable V.90 NIC/Modem should work reasonably well with Linux, minus
            the wireless ethernet which I don't need anyway. I hear that folks
            have the ATI Mobility M4™ 3D Video working with X, at least in hi-res
            mode.
            Will this configuration work? Is Red Hat the right Linux to use?

            TIA,
            John G
          • eviltwin@goldinc.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Dec 10, 2000
              Daniel,

              I just spent most of the day beating on the PCMCIA problem. No
              solution yet. If you get the latest from sourceforge.net (3.1.22) it
              moves the problem. The panic was happening when you loaded the
              i82365.o module (using 3.1.19 that was shipped with RedHat 7.0). When
              you go to 3.1.22 it hangs (not a panic) on the cardmgr command. I
              have a sneaking suspicion that it is being caused by the usb support
              but I'm not sure. If anyone has a an answer I'd sure like to know
              what it is. I've set up a bunch of I7500s with Linux and never had a
              problem.

              Jan

            • T. Daniel Crawford
              Message 6 of 23 , Dec 10, 2000
                On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 eviltwin@... wrote:

                > Daniel,
                >
                > I just spent most of the day beating on the PCMCIA problem. No
                > solution yet. If you get the latest from sourceforge.net (3.1.22) it
                > moves the problem. The panic was happening when you loaded the
                > i82365.o module (using 3.1.19 that was shipped with RedHat 7.0). When
                > you go to 3.1.22 it hangs (not a panic) on the cardmgr command. I
                > have a sneaking suspicion that it is being caused by the usb support
                > but I'm not sure. If anyone has a an answer I'd sure like to know
                > what it is. I've set up a bunch of I7500s with Linux and never had a
                > problem.
                >
                > Jan

                Jan,

                I somehow got PCMCIA working on Friday using the sourceforge 3.1.22
                package, but I honestly am not certain why it now works. I compiled the
                code with the "Include PnP BIOS resource checking" on, but I've not
                investigated thoroughly whether that might have been the problem. Maybe
                you could try that.

                The next problem I ran into after the PCMCIA modules stopped freezing the
                machine was the ethernet card setup. I have a Xircom cardbus 10/100 card
                that, although the ifconfig output looked OK, just wasn't communicating
                with my gateway. It turns out the "promiscuous" mode under ifconfig
                solved, but again I do not know why. Once I set "ifconfig eth0 promisc" in
                rc.local on bootup (after network and pcmcia, of course) all was right with
                the world.

                -Daniel

                --
                T. Daniel Crawford Department of Chemistry
                crawdad@... Virginia Tech
                Message 7 of 23 , Dec 11, 2000
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "T. Daniel Crawford"
                  <crawdad@v...> wrote:
                  > On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 eviltwin@g... wrote:
                  >
                  > > Daniel,
                  > >
                  > > I just spent most of the day beating on the PCMCIA problem. No
                  > > solution yet. If you get the latest from sourceforge.net (3.1.22)
                  it
                  > > moves the problem. The panic was happening when you loaded the
                  > > i82365.o module (using 3.1.19 that was shipped with RedHat 7.0).
                  When
                  > > you go to 3.1.22 it hangs (not a panic) on the cardmgr command. I
                  > > have a sneaking suspicion that it is being caused by the usb
                  support
                  > > but I'm not sure. If anyone has a an answer I'd sure like to know
                  > > what it is. I've set up a bunch of I7500s with Linux and never
                  had a
                  > > problem.
                  > >
                  > > Jan
                  > >

                  > Jan,
                  >
                  > I somehow got PCMCIA working on Friday using the sourceforge 3.1.22
                  > package, but I honestly am not certain why it now works. I compiled
                  the
                  > code with the "Include PnP BIOS resource checking" on, but I've not
                  > investigated thoroughly whether that might have been the problem.
                  Maybe
                  > you could try that.
                  >
                  > The next problem I ran into after the PCMCIA modules stopped
                  freezing the
                  > machine was the ethernet card setup. I have a Xircom cardbus 10/100
                  card
                  > that, although the ifconfig output looked OK, just wasn't
                  communicating
                  > with my gateway. It turns out the "promiscuous" mode under ifconfig
                  > solved, but again I do not know why. Once I set "ifconfig eth0
                  promisc" in
                  > rc.local on bootup (after network and pcmcia, of course) all was
                  right with
                  > the world.
                  >
                  > -Daniel
                  >
                  > --
                  > T. Daniel Crawford Department of Chemistry
                  > crawdad@v... Virginia Tech
                  > www.chem.vt.edu/chem-dept/crawford Voice: 540-231-7760 FAX:
                  540-231-3255

                  Daniel,

                  Many thanks!!! I spent a large amount of time hacking the cardmgr
                  code to try to isolate the error. After reading your post I tried
                  setting "Include PnP BIOS resource checking" and, sure enough, it
                  worked. I also have no clue why.

                  Jan C. Depner
                  Biscuit and the Blues Bakers
                  http://www.mp3.com/bluesbakers
                • egroups@intelopment.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Dec 11, 2000
                    I've got your PCMCIA problem fixed, and thanks to you, I've got my
                    X display problem fixed.

                    You need to rebuild Card Services v3.1.22 just as you have, however
                    you need to answer 'y' to the question "Include PnP BIOS resource
                    checking". With this, your PCMCIA stuff will load correctly.

                    Thanks for the XF86Config file.

                    Joe Hoffman

                  • wolf_michael@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Dec 12, 2000
                      Okay all, I took a chance on an 8000 (actually ordered a 7500 and
                      was "upgraded", but everyone said these days linux runs on
                      everything, especially dell, so not to worry). Oops. Anyway, this
                      8000 has only a PCMCIA modem and PCMCIA network card, so the only way
                      I can communicate with the rest of the world is with floppies, and my
                      other machine here is a win95 machine, so: floppies created on a
                      win95 machine! Worse than that, I'm a relative newbie: I know my way
                      around a compiler and the unix command line, but that's about it --
                      this is basically my first try at linux at all.

                      I see two choices. One is to send the 8000 back. I'm willing to if
                      that's the right thing for me to do. Two is to forge ahead. Since
                      you all have broken the path, maybe there's hope.

                      I've copied the xfconfig and 3.1.22 compressed tar file to a floppy.
                      I'm ready to install red hat 7.0. (Or debian 2.2, if that helps.) I
                      literally don't know what to do when I get the first screen. Do I
                      boot in normal mode or "expert" or "kernel". If someone could give
                      me the philosophy of what I'm about to do, maybe I can wing it. (My
                      guess: I install as some sort of "expert", but using all the defaults
                      except disabling all PCMCIA support. Then I take that kernel and
                      somehow reconfigure it to use PCMCIA support but with the object I've
                      created by compiling the 3.1.22 code.) But I suspect I'll need more
                      detail than that. If someone could help out and I can make this
                      work, I'll write up a step-by-step and repost it here and even
                      contribute it to Steven Hsieh's Dell laptop pages if he's interested.

                      Thanks so much,

                      Michael
                      wolf_michael@...
                    • T. Daniel Crawford
                      Message 10 of 23 , Dec 12, 2000
                        On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 wolf_michael@... wrote:

                        > Okay all, I took a chance on an 8000 (actually ordered a 7500 and
                        > was "upgraded", but everyone said these days linux runs on
                        > everything, especially dell, so not to worry). Oops. Anyway, this
                        > 8000 has only a PCMCIA modem and PCMCIA network card, so the only way
                        > I can communicate with the rest of the world is with floppies, and my
                        > other machine here is a win95 machine, so: floppies created on a
                        > win95 machine! Worse than that, I'm a relative newbie: I know my way
                        > around a compiler and the unix command line, but that's about it --
                        > this is basically my first try at linux at all.
                        >
                        > I see two choices. One is to send the 8000 back. I'm willing to if
                        > that's the right thing for me to do. Two is to forge ahead. Since
                        > you all have broken the path, maybe there's hope.
                        >
                        > I've copied the xfconfig and 3.1.22 compressed tar file to a floppy.
                        > I'm ready to install red hat 7.0. (Or debian 2.2, if that helps.) I
                        > literally don't know what to do when I get the first screen. Do I
                        > boot in normal mode or "expert" or "kernel". If someone could give
                        > me the philosophy of what I'm about to do, maybe I can wing it. (My
                        > guess: I install as some sort of "expert", but using all the defaults
                        > except disabling all PCMCIA support. Then I take that kernel and
                        > somehow reconfigure it to use PCMCIA support but with the object I've
                        > created by compiling the 3.1.22 code.) But I suspect I'll need more
                        > detail than that. If someone could help out and I can make this
                        > work, I'll write up a step-by-step and repost it here and even
                        > contribute it to Steven Hsieh's Dell laptop pages if he's interested.
                        >
                        > Thanks so much,
                        >
                        > Michael
                        > wolf_michael@...

                        Here's a step-by-step procedure that got RH7.0 Linux running on my
                        Inspiron 8000:

                        (1) Use the "text mode" installation of RH7.0, because the default graphical
                        mode will not work. After that, you can run through the installation
                        without any problems, I believe.

                        (2) When you reboot, press "i" when prompted to enter interactive mode.
                        You can then allow it to load every package EXCEPT pcmcia --- say "n" to
                        that one or you'll get a kernel panic.

                        (3) Once the boot is complete, login as root, and install your XF86Config-4
                        file into /etc/X11.

                        (4) Unpack the pcmcia-cs-3.1.22.tar.gz package into /usr/local/src and run
                        make config. During te config process, say "y" to the "Include PnP BIOS
                        resource checking" option. (I don't yet know why this works, but it does
                        for me...) Then run "make all" followed by "make install". You can then
                        reboot and the machine shouldn't hang on the pcmcia package.

                        (5) Once you've gotten pcmcia working, you can insert your network card.
                        If you're using the Xircom 32-bit cardbus 10/100 ethernet card Dell is
                        distributing with the Inspiron 8000, once you get the network configured,
                        you may have trouble getting it to actually communicate even though
                        everything looks OK. Try setting "ifconfig eth0 promisc" --- again, that
                        worked for me. (Thanks to someone on the list for recommending that!)

                        I hope this helps.

                        -Daniel

                        Message 11 of 23 , Dec 12, 2000
                          On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, T. Daniel Crawford wrote:

                          > (3) Once the boot is complete, login as root, and install your XF86Config-4
                          > file into /etc/X11.

                          Oh, and here's an XF86Config-4 file for /etc/X11. This one is a barely
                          modified version of on that Vance Wheelock sent me this morning that will
                          give you the 1400x1050 mode. Thanks again, Vance!

                          -Daniel
                          Message 12 of 23 , Dec 17, 2000
                            I thought I'd inform you as to what my experience was, for the
                            amusement of whoever might read this. Also, there's a question at
                            the bottom. I also had to use 3.1.22. Instead of using the supplied
                            Xircom lan card, I decided to try a Linksys EtherFast combo card,
                            since it had the word "Linux" on the box, and since for various
                            reasons I want my network connection to not be in promiscuous mode if
                            possible. Guess what? Dials in and connects via DSL no problem.
                            Perfect. No promiscuous mode even. Easy as pie.

                            But WindowsME can't handle the supplied driver. I'll call their tech
                            support.

                            Anyway, an obvious note, but it bit me: if you got less than 32MB of
                            memory on your video card, change the XF86Config-4 file
                            accordingly. :-)

                            Question: I actually don't fully understand what I did when I typed
                            the 'make install' for the new card handler. Specifically, when I
                            upgrade to Red Hat 7.1 (when it comes out), then the upgrade would
                            presumably undo the work and I'll probably have to install this fix
                            again as well, right? Anything else I need to know, other than the
                            obvious that who knows if this fix will take care of the problem next
                            time. :-)

                            Michael
                          • elcondor@warum.net
                            Message 13 of 23 , Dec 21, 2000
                              Hi!

                              Since I intend to buy a Inspiron 8000, there are several questions
                              coming up after reading (probably all ;)) postings concerning this
                              subject:

                              currently they sell two modells, the 8000XT Allround and the 8000
                              Professional. I want to buy the Professional, since it has got a
                              1600x1200 display. this model is also delivered with several built-in
                              interfaces: IEEE and a 3COM Combo V.90 +10/100MBit. Okay, i got no use
                              for the firewire so far, but I need a modem and a network interface
                              for working. does anyone know, if the integrated 3COM is supported by
                              linux? I sometimes read about problems with Combo-Cards like "i get
                              only the modem running". does anyone have this modell running? or
                              would you recommend to take the xircom as a Combo-Card?

                              As I read in your postings, PCMCIA is okay and also is the ATI
                              Mobility M4 (which Dell Germany couldn't tell me) at least with XFree
                              4. Are there problems with USB or IRDA? (it's okay to download and
                              compile burning-edge code as long as it's going to work)

                              In case there are, I would have to take the 5000e, which got the same
                              resolution and no integrated IEEE/3COM and some other different things

                              Thanks in Advance

                              Martin
                            • dnreeves@swbell.net
                              Message 14 of 23 , Dec 24, 2000
                                That will be a great and powerful machine!

                                I have a DELL INSPIRON 7500 w/ 128meg ram. I was able to install
                                RH6.1 with very little trouble. However, I have just moved over to
                                Mandrake 7.2 (get the CheapBytes release ). I love the new interface
                                KDE 2.0. Use XFree4.01 - graphics are good. Sound works well.
                                MP3's work well. I also, have NT dual bootable on same machine. I
                                have not yet got a CDRW yet. Any, suggestions?

                              • it.s-me@gmx.de
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 25, 2000
                                  <crawdad@v...> wrote:
                                  > On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, T. Daniel Crawford wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > (3) Once the boot is complete, login as root, and install your
                                  XF86Config-4
                                  > > file into /etc/X11.
                                  > >

                                  > Oh, and here's an XF86Config-4 file for /etc/X11. This one is a
                                  barely
                                  > modified version of on that Vance Wheelock sent me this morning
                                  that will
                                  > give you the 1400x1050 mode. Thanks again, Vance!
                                  >
                                  > -Daniel
                                  > --
                                  > T. Daniel Crawford Department of Chemistry
                                  > crawdad@v... Virginia Tech
                                  > www.chem.vt.edu/chem-dept/crawford Voice: 540-231-7760 FAX: 540-
                                  231-3255

                                  Dear Daniel,

                                  I tried your config file with SuSE 7.0, but unfortunately it will not
                                  work because I'll get the message "no devices detected/no screens
                                  found"
                                  I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 Professional, bought in Germany and with
                                  14" display with 1400x1050 pixels and BIOS release A02.
                                  Do you have any suggestions?

                                  Thank you very much!

                                  Here is my log file:

                                  XFree86 Version 4.0 / X Window System
                                  Release Date: 8 March 2000
                                  If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
                                  newer
                                  than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
                                  problems. (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
                                  Operating System: SuSE Linux [ELF] SuSE
                                  Module Loader present
                                  (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Mon Dec 25 11:09:15
                                  2000
                                  (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
                                  (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
                                  (WW) warning, (EE) error, (??) unknown.
                                  (==) ServerLayout "XFree86 Configured"
                                  (**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
                                  (**) | |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
                                  (**) | |-->Device "Card0"
                                  (**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"
                                  (**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
                                  (**) Option "XkbLayout" "us"
                                  (**) XKB: layout: "us"
                                  (**) FontPath set to "unix/:7100"
                                  (==) RgbPath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
                                  (==) ModulePath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
                                  (--) using VT number 7

                                  (II) Module ABI versions:
                                  XFree86 ANSI C Emulation: 0.1
                                  XFree86 Video Driver: 0.1
                                  XFree86 XInput driver : 0.1
                                  XFree86 Server Extension : 0.1
                                  XFree86 Font Renderer : 0.1
                                  (II) Loader running on linux
                                  (II) LoadModule: "bitmap"
                                  (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a
                                  (II) Module bitmap: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
                                  compiled for 4.0, module version = 1.0.0
                                  Module class: XFree86 Font Renderer
                                  ABI class: XFree86 Font Renderer, version 0.1
                                  (II) Loading font Bitmap
                                  (II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
                                  (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libpcidata.a
                                  (II) Module pcidata: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
                                  compiled for 4.0, module version = 0.1.0
                                  ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.1
                                  (II) PCI: Probing config type using method 1
                                  (II) PCI: Config type is 1
                                  (II) PCI: stages = 0x03, oldVal1 = 0x8000fa0c, mode1Res1 = 0x80000000
                                  (II) PCI: PCI scan (all values are in hex)
                                  (II) PCI: 00:00:0: chip 8086,1130 card 0000,0000 rev 02 class
                                  06,00,00 hdr 00
                                  (II) PCI: 00:01:0: chip 8086,1131 card 0000,0000 rev 02 class
                                  06,04,00 hdr 01
                                  (II) PCI: 00:1e:0: chip 8086,2448 card 0000,0000 rev 02 class
                                  06,04,00 hdr 01
                                  (II) PCI: 00:1f:0: chip 8086,244c card 0000,0000 rev 02 class
                                  06,01,00 hdr 80
                                  (II) PCI: 00:1f:1: chip 8086,244a card 8086,4541 rev 02 class
                                  01,01,80 hdr 00
                                  (II) PCI: 00:1f:2: chip 8086,2442 card 8086,4541 rev 02 class
                                  0c,03,00 hdr 00
                                  (II) PCI: 01:00:0: chip 1002,4d46 card 1028,00a4 rev 00 class
                                  03,00,00 hdr 00
                                  (II) PCI: 02:03:0: chip 125d,1998 card 1028,00a4 rev 10 class
                                  04,01,00 hdr 00
                                  (II) PCI: 02:0f:0: chip 104c,ac42 card 0000,0000 rev 00 class
                                  06,07,00 hdr 82
                                  (II) PCI: 02:0f:1: chip 104c,ac42 card 0000,0000 rev 00 class
                                  06,07,00 hdr 82
                                  (II) PCI: 02:0f:2: chip 104c,8027 card 1028,00a4 rev 00 class
                                  0c,00,10 hdr 80
                                  (II) PCI: End of PCI scan
                                  (II) LoadModule: "scanpci"
                                  (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libscanpci.a
                                  (II) Module scanpci: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
                                  compiled for 4.0, module version = 0.1.0
                                  ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.1
                                  (II) UnloadModule: "scanpci"
                                  (II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libscanpci.a
                                  (II) Bus 1: bridge is at (0:1:0), (0,1,1), BCTRL: 0x0c (VGA_EN is set)
                                  (II) Bus 1 I/O range:
                                  [0] -1 0x0000c000 - 0x0000cfff (0x1000) I[X]B
                                  (II) Bus 1 non-prefetchable memory range:
                                  [0] -1 0xfc000000 - 0xfdffffff (0x2000000) M[X]B
                                  (II) Bus 1 prefetchable memory range:
                                  [0] -1 0xe8000000 - 0xebffffff (0x4000000) M[X]B
                                  (II) Bus 2: bridge is at (0:30:0), (0,2,2), BCTRL: 0x06 (VGA_EN is
                                  cleared)
                                  (II) Bus 2 I/O range:
                                  [0] -1 0x0000e000 - 0x0000ffff (0x2000) I[X]B
                                  (II) Bus 2 non-prefetchable memory range:
                                  [0] -1 0xf4000000 - 0xfbffffff (0x8000000) M[X]B
                                  (II) Bus 2 prefetchable memory range:
                                  (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI unknown chipset (0x4d46) rev 0, Mem @
                                  0xe8000000/26, 0xfcffc000/14, I/O @ 0xcc00/8
                                  (II) Addressable bus resource ranges are
                                  [0] -1 0x00000000 - 0xffffffff (0x0) M[X]B
                                  [1] -1 0x00000000 - 0x0000ffff (0x10000) I[X]B
                                  (II) OS-reported resource ranges:
                                  [0] -1 0xffe00000 - 0xffffffff (0x200000) M[X]B(B)
                                  [1] -1 0xfee00000 - 0xfeefffff (0x100000) M[X]B(B)
                                  [2] -1 0xfec00000 - 0xfecfffff (0x100000) M[X]B(B)
                                  [3] -1 0x00100000 - 0x3fffffff (0x3ff00000) M[X]BE(B)
                                  [4] -1 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) M[X]B
                                  [5] -1 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) M[X]B
                                  [6] -1 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) M[X]B
                                  [7] -1 0x00000000 - 0x000001ff (0x200) I[X]BE
                                  (II) Active PCI resource ranges:
                                  [0] -1 0xf8ff8000 - 0xf8ffffff (0x8000) M[X]BE
                                  [1] -1 0xf8ffd800 - 0xf8ffdfff (0x800) M[X]BE
                                  [2] -1 0xf8ffe000 - 0xf8ffffff (0x2000) M[X]BE
                                  [3] -1 0xe4000000 - 0xe7ffffff (0x4000000) M[X]BE
                                  [4] -1 0xfcffc000 - 0xfcffffff (0x4000) M[X]B(B)
                                  [5] -1 0xe8000000 - 0xebffffff (0x4000000) M[X]B(B)
                                  [6] -1 0x0000ec00 - 0x0000ecff (0x100) I[X]BE
                                  [7] -1 0x0000dce0 - 0x0000dcff (0x20) I[X]BE
                                  [8] -1 0x0000bfa0 - 0x0000bfbf (0x20) I[X]BE
                                  [9] -1 0x0000cc00 - 0x0000ccff (0x100) I[X]B(B)
                                  (II) PCI Memory resource overlap reduced 0xf8ff8000 from 0xf8ffffff
                                  to 0xf8ffbfff
                                  (II) Active PCI resource ranges after removing overlaps:
                                  [0] -1 0xf8ff8000 - 0xf8ffbfff (0x4000) M[X]BE
                                  [1] -1 0xf8ffd800 - 0xf8ffdfff (0x800) M[X]BE
                                  [2] -1 0xf8ffe000 - 0xf8ffffff (0x2000) M[X]BE
                                  [3] -1 0xe4000000 - 0xe7ffffff (0x4000000) M[X]BE
                                  [4] -1 0xfcffc000 - 0xfcffffff (0x4000) M[X]B(B)
                                  [5] -1 0xe8000000 - 0xebffffff (0x4000000) M[X]B(B)
                                  [6] -1 0x0000ec00 - 0x0000ecff (0x100) I[X]BE
                                  [7] -1 0x0000dce0 - 0x0000dcff (0x20) I[X]BE
                                  [8] -1 0x0000bfa0 - 0x0000bfbf (0x20) I[X]BE
                                  [9] -1 0x0000cc00 - 0x0000ccff (0x100) I[X]B(B)
                                  (II) OS-reported resource ranges after removing overlaps with PCI:
                                  [0] -1 0xffe00000 - 0xffffffff (0x200000) M[X]B(B)
                                  [1] -1 0xfee00000 - 0xfeefffff (0x100000) M[X]B(B)
                                  [2] -1 0xfec00000 - 0xfecfffff (0x100000) M[X]B(B)
                                  [3] -1 0x00100000 - 0x3fffffff (0x3ff00000) M[X]BE(B)
                                  [4] -1 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) M[X]B
                                  [5] -1 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) M[X]B
                                  [6] -1 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) M[X]B
                                  [7] -1 0x00000000 - 0x000001ff (0x200) I[X]BE
                                  (II) All system resource ranges:
                                  [0] -1 0xffe00000 - 0xffffffff (0x200000) M[X]B(B)
                                  [1] -1 0xfee00000 - 0xfeefffff (0x100000) M[X]B(B)
                                  [2] -1 0xfec00000 - 0xfecfffff (0x100000) M[X]B(B)
                                  [3] -1 0x00100000 - 0x3fffffff (0x3ff00000) M[X]BE(B)
                                  [4] -1 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) M[X]B
                                  [5] -1 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) M[X]B
                                  [6] -1 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) M[X]B
                                  [7] -1 0xf8ff8000 - 0xf8ffbfff (0x4000) M[X]BE
                                  [8] -1 0xf8ffd800 - 0xf8ffdfff (0x800) M[X]BE
                                  [9] -1 0xf8ffe000 - 0xf8ffffff (0x2000) M[X]BE
                                  [10] -1 0xe4000000 - 0xe7ffffff (0x4000000) M[X]BE
                                  [11] -1 0xfcffc000 - 0xfcffffff (0x4000) M[X]B(B)
                                  [12] -1 0xe8000000 - 0xebffffff (0x4000000) M[X]B(B)
                                  [13] -1 0x00000000 - 0x000001ff (0x200) I[X]BE
                                  [14] -1 0x0000ec00 - 0x0000ecff (0x100) I[X]BE
                                  [15] -1 0x0000dce0 - 0x0000dcff (0x20) I[X]BE
                                  [16] -1 0x0000bfa0 - 0x0000bfbf (0x20) I[X]BE
                                  [17] -1 0x0000cc00 - 0x0000ccff (0x100) I[X]B(B)
                                  (II) LoadModule: "GLcore"
                                  (WW) Warning, couldn't open module GLcore
                                  (II) UnloadModule: "GLcore"
                                  (EE) Failed to load module "GLcore" (module does not exist, 0)
                                  (II) LoadModule: "r128"
                                  (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/r128_drv.o
                                  (II) Module r128: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
                                  compiled for 4.0, module version = 3.1.1
                                  Module class: XFree86 Video Driver
                                  ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.1
                                  (II) LoadModule: "mouse"
                                  (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/mouse_drv.o
                                  (II) Module mouse: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
                                  compiled for 4.0, module version = 1.0.0
                                  Module class: XFree86 XInput Driver
                                  ABI class: XFree86 XInput driver, version 0.1
                                  (II) r128: Driver for ATI Rage 128 chipset: ATI Rage 128 RE (PCI),
                                  ATI Rage 128 RF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 RK (PCI), ATI Rage 128 RL
                                  (AGP),
                                  ATI Rage 128 Pro PF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Mobility LE (PCI),
                                  ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF (AGP)
                                  (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
                                  (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01:00:0
                                  (EE) No devices detected.

                                  Fatal server error:
                                  no screens found

                                  When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
                                  the full server output, not just the last messages.
                                  This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
                                • it.s-me@gmx.de
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 25, 2000
                                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, it.s-me@g... wrote:

                                    ;-)) Sorry, forgot my name...

                                    Klaus
                                  • T. Daniel Crawford
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 25, 2000
                                      On Mon, 25 Dec 2000 it.s-me@... wrote:

                                      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, it.s-me@g... wrote:
                                      >
                                      > ;-)) Sorry, forgot my name...
                                      >
                                      > Klaus

                                      Klaus,

                                      I'm not an X-expert, and I've never tried SuSe, so you'll have to take
                                      anything I say with about a kilo of salt. You log file makes me think that
                                      the line

                                      BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

                                      from the XF86Config-4 file may be causing you problems, but it's only a
                                      guess. Try commenting it out with a "#" and running startx again. If that
                                      doesn't work, some of the XF86 experts on this list should be able to help
                                      you debug your problem.

                                      Good luck!

                                      -Daniel
                                      --
                                    • don@hawktech.net
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Dec 26, 2000
                                        I posted some new files
                                        Inspiron 8000 Mandrake 7.1 (7.2 is broke)
                                        at 1400x750
                                      • don@hawktech.net
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Dec 26, 2000
                                        • don@hawktech.net
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Dec 28, 2000
                                            I just uploaded an updated HOWTO (or at least how I did it)
                                          • baal@msen.com
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Dec 29, 2000
                                              --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, don@h... wrote:
                                              > I posted some new files
                                              > Inspiron 8000 Mandrake 7.1 (7.2 is broke)
                                              > at 1400x750

                                              7.2 is freezing at the pcmcia setup... is that what you're referring to?

                                              -scott
                                            • Andreas Heilwagen
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Dec 29, 2000
                                                Mandrake 7.2 can be installed if you copy the CD(s) on your hard drive,
                                                patch the stage2 archive to not use any pcmcia stuff in the
                                                /usr/sbin/perl-install (or something like that) path. If anybody
                                                is interested, I can upload a patched 11MB archive into egroups.

                                                Afterwards you have to play around with PCMCIA manually since nothing
                                                is beeing configured during install. This act took my half a day trying
                                                to find an easier fix :((

                                                Regards,

                                                Andreas.

                                                BTW, I did this for Latitude C800.

                                              • don@hawktech.net
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Dec 29, 2000
                                                  I would be very interested please upload it!

                                                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Andreas Heilwagen