RE: [linux-dell-laptops] Sharing a partition Win/Lin

  • Rob Yale
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2000
      Thanks Vance, it worked brilliantly!

      Rob

    • David Royer
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2000
        Rob,

        I use that exact card on my Inspiron 7500. (OK...I have the X-Jack
        version). I got the same failure message when I was running Mandrake. It
        simply means network setup failed because the pcmcia daemon isn't running
        yet, so networking is delayed. I think on my mandrake system it said
        something to the effect that it failed because it was delayed.

        I have noticed the card doesn't work in Win 98 for me if I have it in the
        upper PCMCIA slot. My solution was to simply keep it in the bottom slot.

        I hope this helps.

        Dave Royer

        On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Rob Yale wrote:

        > I know this is a real long-shot, but have any of you used a 3com 3CCFE575CT
        > CardBus card on an Inspiron 4000 (or similar) running RH 7? I'm getting a
        > failure of eth0 on boot, but the card actually seems to be working when the
        > system comes up! Also, it seems to be failing miserably on Windoze ME (the
        > dark side of my dual-boot scenario) and seems to work sporadically.
        >
        > I would certainly appreciate any feedback with regard to this card on either
        > platform.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Rob Yale

        -----
        "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes
        hurtling down the highway." -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum - Computer Networks
      • Rob Yale
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 5, 2000
          I know this is a real long-shot, but have any of you used a 3com 3CCFE575CT
          CardBus card on an Inspiron 4000 (or similar) running RH 7? I'm getting a
          failure of eth0 on boot, but the card actually seems to be working when the
          system comes up! Also, it seems to be failing miserably on Windoze ME (the
          dark side of my dual-boot scenario) and seems to work sporadically.

          I would certainly appreciate any feedback with regard to this card on either
          platform.

          Thanks,

          Rob Yale
        • Robert (Roger) Stelmack
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 5, 2000
            I have the card. It works on Win/98. Have not tested with Linux yet.

            Bob Stelmack

            Rob Yale wrote:

            > I know this is a real long-shot, but have any of you used a 3com 3CCFE575CT
            > CardBus card on an Inspiron 4000 (or similar) running RH 7? I'm getting a
            > failure of eth0 on boot, but the card actually seems to be working when the
            > system comes up! Also, it seems to be failing miserably on Windoze ME (the
            > dark side of my dual-boot scenario) and seems to work sporadically.
            >
            > I would certainly appreciate any feedback with regard to this card on either
            > platform.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Rob Yale

          • Rob Yale
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 5, 2000
              Your comments are very interesting, because I also get a message alluding to
              'delayed' starting of eth0. I'll keep fiddling around and see what happens,
              but at this point I have two cards, both of which don't quite cut it for me.
              One of them is a Xircom card, and I don't think I have a prayer of getting
              it to work on Linux.

              What is the best Ethernet card to get for my Inspiron 4000? Is there any
              consensus, of what the all-round friendliest pcmcia card is?

              Thanks,

              Rob

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 6, 2000
                Just spent a couple of hours with Dell Tech, and found out that the card is
                failing its loopback test. They're sending me a new one. Ten more days!
                Ouch!

                Rob

              • Rob Yale
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 6, 2000
                  Ok, now I'm concerned that the failing card theory is bunk. I got home, and
                  I plugged in an Asante card that I had, and it failed in the same way that
                  the 3com card did. When I called 3com, they walked me through the device
                  manager, and I could see that there are 7 devices using IRQ 11, and none
                  using IRQ 10. When I called Dell tech, rather than help me to change the
                  IRQ (which I'm wondering if it even CAN be changed) they had me run the 3com
                  diag, which gave the error I mentioned.

                  When I remove my modem card from the other slot, delete the ethernet adaptor
                  from the device manager, and reboot, the ethernet card wakes up. In fact
                  that's how I'm online right now.

                  Does anyone out there know how to change the IRQ of the CardBus controller
                  on an Inspiron 4000?

                  Rob Yale