Sharing a partition Win/Lin

  • Rob Yale
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2000
      Hello,

      I created an extra partition when I installed RH 7 on my Inspiron 4000, and
      I'm unable to mount it. I get a somewhat ambiguous error message that
      suggests that the problem could be the wrong file system, a bad
      'superblock', or too many file systems mounted.

      My questions:

      1) What is the best file system to format the partition with for sharing
      between Linux and Windoze? I used FAT32.

      2) What is the upper limit for the number of partitions that I can mount?
      My shared partition is hda10.

      3) What is the best way to format the partition? I'd like to use fdisk, I
      assume I can run it from Linux, no?

      TIA,

      Rob Yale

      McClear Digital Recording and Post Production Studios
      Toronto, Canada, http://www.mcclear.com
      tel: 416-977-9740 Cellular: 416-579-9253
    • Vance Wheelock
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2000
        Rob Yale wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I created an extra partition when I installed RH 7 on my Inspiron 4000, and
        > I'm unable to mount it. I get a somewhat ambiguous error message that
        > suggests that the problem could be the wrong file system, a bad
        > 'superblock', or too many file systems mounted.

        You did execute a mkfs.msdos on it correct? I'm asking if you formatted
        it? See question 3 below though especially because you want it to be a
        FAt-32 partition. A Fat-32 can still be created, read, and written to by
        linux, but you must make sure that all your utils are uptodate for
        Fat-32, which is true for RH 7.

        > My questions:
        >
        > 1) What is the best file system to format the partition with for sharing
        > between Linux and Windoze? I used FAT32.

        Well, you chose right if Windoze has to read it.

        > 2) What is the upper limit for the number of partitions that I can mount?
        > My shared partition is hda10.

        I don't believe the problem is the number of partitions you can have
        mounted. I don't remember the limit but it should be fairly high.

        > 3) What is the best way to format the partition? I'd like to use fdisk, I
        > assume I can run it from Linux, no?

        No. I would have formatted and created this windows partition under
        windows. My advice is to always make partitions from the OS that the fs
        belongs to. Even though you maybe able to see the partition from Linux
        you really want to make sure it is kosher with Windoze(blah). Otherwise
        Windoze might be stupid and not recognize. Especially the Windoze fdisk
        sucks, even though you should use it for Windoze partitions.

        > TIA,
        >
        > Rob Yale
        >
        > McClear Digital Recording and Post Production Studios
        > Toronto, Canada, http://www.mcclear.com
        > tel: 416-977-9740 Cellular: 416-579-9253

        Vance Wheelock II, Software Engineer, weddingstreetjournal.com
        "On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
        it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."
        - Anonymous
      • Vance Wheelock
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2000
          One minor correction to my last message.

          If you do use the mkfs.msdos make sure you use the "-F 32" option to
          make it a Fat-32 partition. man mkfs.msdos for more details.

          Vance

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2000
            Thanks Vance, it worked brilliantly!

            Rob

          • David Royer
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2000
              Rob,

              I use that exact card on my Inspiron 7500. (OK...I have the X-Jack
              version). I got the same failure message when I was running Mandrake. It
              simply means network setup failed because the pcmcia daemon isn't running
              yet, so networking is delayed. I think on my mandrake system it said
              something to the effect that it failed because it was delayed.

              I have noticed the card doesn't work in Win 98 for me if I have it in the
              upper PCMCIA slot. My solution was to simply keep it in the bottom slot.

              I hope this helps.

              Dave Royer

              On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Rob Yale wrote:

              > I know this is a real long-shot, but have any of you used a 3com 3CCFE575CT
              > CardBus card on an Inspiron 4000 (or similar) running RH 7? I'm getting a
              > failure of eth0 on boot, but the card actually seems to be working when the
              > system comes up! Also, it seems to be failing miserably on Windoze ME (the
              > dark side of my dual-boot scenario) and seems to work sporadically.
              >
              > I would certainly appreciate any feedback with regard to this card on either
              > platform.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Rob Yale

              -----
              "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes
              hurtling down the highway." -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum - Computer Networks
            • Rob Yale
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 5, 2000
                I know this is a real long-shot, but have any of you used a 3com 3CCFE575CT
                CardBus card on an Inspiron 4000 (or similar) running RH 7? I'm getting a
                failure of eth0 on boot, but the card actually seems to be working when the
                system comes up! Also, it seems to be failing miserably on Windoze ME (the
                dark side of my dual-boot scenario) and seems to work sporadically.

                I would certainly appreciate any feedback with regard to this card on either
                platform.

                Thanks,

                Rob Yale
              • Robert (Roger) Stelmack
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 5, 2000
                  I have the card. It works on Win/98. Have not tested with Linux yet.

                  Bob Stelmack

                  Rob Yale wrote:

                  > I know this is a real long-shot, but have any of you used a 3com 3CCFE575CT
                  > CardBus card on an Inspiron 4000 (or similar) running RH 7? I'm getting a
                  > failure of eth0 on boot, but the card actually seems to be working when the
                  > system comes up! Also, it seems to be failing miserably on Windoze ME (the
                  > dark side of my dual-boot scenario) and seems to work sporadically.
                  >
                  > I would certainly appreciate any feedback with regard to this card on either
                  > platform.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Rob Yale

                • Rob Yale
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 5, 2000
                    Your comments are very interesting, because I also get a message alluding to
                    'delayed' starting of eth0. I'll keep fiddling around and see what happens,
                    but at this point I have two cards, both of which don't quite cut it for me.
                    One of them is a Xircom card, and I don't think I have a prayer of getting
                    it to work on Linux.

                    What is the best Ethernet card to get for my Inspiron 4000? Is there any
                    consensus, of what the all-round friendliest pcmcia card is?

                    Thanks,

                    Rob

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 6, 2000
                      Just spent a couple of hours with Dell Tech, and found out that the card is
                      failing its loopback test. They're sending me a new one. Ten more days!
                      Ouch!

                      Rob

                    • Rob Yale
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 6, 2000
                        Ok, now I'm concerned that the failing card theory is bunk. I got home, and
                        I plugged in an Asante card that I had, and it failed in the same way that
                        the 3com card did. When I called 3com, they walked me through the device
                        manager, and I could see that there are 7 devices using IRQ 11, and none
                        using IRQ 10. When I called Dell tech, rather than help me to change the
                        IRQ (which I'm wondering if it even CAN be changed) they had me run the 3com
                        diag, which gave the error I mentioned.

                        When I remove my modem card from the other slot, delete the ethernet adaptor
                        from the device manager, and reboot, the ethernet card wakes up. In fact
                        that's how I'm online right now.

                        Does anyone out there know how to change the IRQ of the CardBus controller
                        on an Inspiron 4000?

                        Rob Yale