Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: X-Windows on Inspiron 5000e

  • Carsten Borchardt
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2000
      leonard@... wrote:

      > I have a 5000e running rh7 and I'm having the same issue. I've tried
      > all versions of r128_drv.o and combinations with the XF86Configs
      > available from the e-groups file archive. I also tried the latest
      > rawhide version of XFree86 and I have the same problem.
      >
      > BTW, I have apm disabled.
      >
      > I notice that the people running Mandrake say it "works perfectly".
      > Does anyone with Mandrake have this freeze on exit problem? If not,
      > do you know if the Mandrake XFree RPMs will work on rh7?

      i use the mandrake rpm's on a redhat 7 system - works fine.
      there was only a small problem with starting up the x-font-server,
      i had to change one line in the file
      /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs
      find the line
      daemon --user xfs xfs -port -1 -daemon
      daemon xfs -daemon -droppriv

      i do not know if i have i potential security hole now, but it works for
      me.

      with the current development-xfree4.0.1f version mandrake has on its
      ftp servers the 3d acceleration works fine, too.

      i do not have any 'freeze on exit problem', but in the beginning i had.
      i got rid of them by fiddling around with the vga-boot-mode var in
      /etc/lilo.conf. i tried 'vga=2' and now i work with 'vga=794'.
      by switching to a non-standard vga-mode this 'freeze' has gone.
      WARNING: to use 'vga=794' you need a kernel with frame buffer support.

      have fun
      carsten

    • leonard@cfoknows.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2000
        Thanks -- it was the vga= in lilo.conf that did the trick...

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Carsten Borchardt

      • zdavid@accesstoledo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2001
          Hello,

          I noticed your post on the "freeze on exit", I have the same problem
          on RH6.2 with Xfree 4.0.2. I have tried playing with the vga setting
          in the lilo.conf with no luck. Did you get this resolved ? If so what
          was the fix ?

          thanks
          david