Re: X-Windows on Inspiron 5000e

  • leonard@cfoknows.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2000
      I have a 5000e running rh7 and I'm having the same issue. I've tried
      all versions of r128_drv.o and combinations with the XF86Configs
      available from the e-groups file archive. I also tried the latest
      rawhide version of XFree86 and I have the same problem.

      BTW, I have apm disabled.

      I notice that the people running Mandrake say it "works perfectly".
      Does anyone with Mandrake have this freeze on exit problem? If not,
      do you know if the Mandrake XFree RPMs will work on rh7?

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, pelton@m... wrote:
      > I have X(4.0) running well on the 5000e, except for an occasional
      > freeze on exit, requiring a hard reboot. I saw this mentioned awhile
      > ago in this group but didn't see any conclusion. This seems to
      happen
      > regardless of the driver file used - I got the updated r128_drv.o
      from
      > Jeff Lessem's page and have tried both - and regardless of any
      > resolution/refresh setting changes. I've seen a lot of posts trying
      > get the resolution to 1400x1050, but that is not a concern, I just
      > need it to exit cleanly.
      >
      > Is anybody else having this problem? Is there a fix?
      >
      > Thanks for any help!
    • Carsten Borchardt
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2000
        leonard@... wrote:

        > I have a 5000e running rh7 and I'm having the same issue. I've tried
        > all versions of r128_drv.o and combinations with the XF86Configs
        > available from the e-groups file archive. I also tried the latest
        > rawhide version of XFree86 and I have the same problem.
        >
        > BTW, I have apm disabled.
        >
        > I notice that the people running Mandrake say it "works perfectly".
        > Does anyone with Mandrake have this freeze on exit problem? If not,
        > do you know if the Mandrake XFree RPMs will work on rh7?

        i use the mandrake rpm's on a redhat 7 system - works fine.
        there was only a small problem with starting up the x-font-server,
        i had to change one line in the file
        /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs
        find the line
        daemon --user xfs xfs -port -1 -daemon
        daemon xfs -daemon -droppriv

        i do not know if i have i potential security hole now, but it works for
        me.

        with the current development-xfree4.0.1f version mandrake has on its
        ftp servers the 3d acceleration works fine, too.

        i do not have any 'freeze on exit problem', but in the beginning i had.
        i got rid of them by fiddling around with the vga-boot-mode var in
        /etc/lilo.conf. i tried 'vga=2' and now i work with 'vga=794'.
        by switching to a non-standard vga-mode this 'freeze' has gone.
        WARNING: to use 'vga=794' you need a kernel with frame buffer support.

        have fun
        carsten

      • leonard@cfoknows.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2000
          Thanks -- it was the vga= in lilo.conf that did the trick...

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Carsten Borchardt

        • zdavid@accesstoledo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2001
            Hello,

            I noticed your post on the "freeze on exit", I have the same problem
            on RH6.2 with Xfree 4.0.2. I have tried playing with the vga setting
            in the lilo.conf with no luck. Did you get this resolved ? If so what
            was the fix ?

            thanks
            david