Re: [linux-dell-laptops] How to get CDROM to install RH6.1 on Latitude CPx?

  • Vance Wheelock
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2000
      Well this sounds more like you should be setting it up with the text
      install rather then the Graphics install. You can supposedly do a
      graphics install by typing "vga=792" or a similar number at the lilo
      prompt. The problem is the standard graphics mode for the LCD is not
      correct.

      If you are at UT, why don't you find a friend who can download and burn
      you both RH 7.0 cd's. You must have a high connection at UT?

      Vance

      ddurbin@... wrote:

      > I am attempting an install from scratch, no dual boot. Settings are
      > to read bootable media from floppy, then CDROM, then HD. Red Hat 6.1
      > CDROM shows start screen with options for regular install, upgrade,
      > expert mode, etc. After choosing regular install, the usual boot up
      > messages scroll by, then nothing - the screen goes blank.
      > I read in the installation manual about making a PCMCIA boot floppy,
      > and did so. However, my problem is that the modular bay will only
      > hold the floppy drive or CDROM drive, and it is not possible to use
      > both simultaneously With the PCMCIA boot floppy, progress halts at
      > the point where it asks where the packages are, and gives me one
      > choice: the HD! Obviously, it is somehow necessary to be able to do
      > everything from the CDROM module.
      > I don't mind buying Red Hat 7.0 or even some other distro, but just
      > want to see if this is a problem that's even been resolved in a newer
      > version, or if some other measure is required. Any help will be
      > greatly appreciated.

      Vance Wheelock II, Software Engineer, weddingstreetjournal.com
      "On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
      it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."
      - Anonymous
    • ddurbin@mail.utexas.edu
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2000
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Vance Wheelock <vance@c...>
        wrote:
        > Well this sounds more like you should be setting it up with the text
        > install rather then the Graphics install.

        That solved the problem! Thanks.