Dell Laptop Memory

  • Shane O'Donnell
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2000
      When I bought my Inspiron 3800, a 128MB memory stick was close to $250
      through Dell. I opted for the same stick from Crucial Technologies for $116
      plus shipping. I've had no problems at all with the company or their
      product. It's worked out great.

      They just put the Inspiron 3800 memory on sale (as well as some others) and
      it's now under $100 with free shipping.

      If you are looking for memory, you can check them out at:
      http://www.crucial.com/company/whatsnew.asp

      Despite the fact that I sound like it, I'm not affiliated with Crucial in
      any way other than as a satisfied customer.

      Best of luck,

      Shane O.
    • mdlp@mindspring.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2000
        According to the Dell salesperson I bought my Inspiron 5ke from, Dell
        buys the RAM it resells in some laptops from Crucial in the first
        place. I also opted to buy RAM for my Dell from Crucial, and have
        experienced no Ram-related problems, that I am aware of.

        -mdlp

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Shane O'Donnell"
        <shaneo@o...> wrote:
        > When I bought my Inspiron 3800, a 128MB memory stick was close to >
        through Dell. I opted for the same stick from Crucial Technologies
        for $116$250

        > plus shipping. I've had no problems at all with the company or
        their
        > product. It's worked out great.
        >
        > They just put the Inspiron 3800 memory on sale (as well as some
        others) and
        > it's now under $100 with free shipping.
        >
        > If you are looking for memory, you can check them out at:
        > http://www.crucial.com/company/whatsnew.asp
        >
        > Despite the fact that I sound like it, I'm not affiliated with
        Crucial in
        > any way other than as a satisfied customer.
        >
        > Best of luck,
        >
        > Shane O.
      • Richard Simpson
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2000
          On Mon, 04 Dec 2000, you wrote:
          >According to the Dell salesperson I bought my Inspiron 5ke from, Dell
          >buys the RAM it resells in some laptops from Crucial in the first
          >place.

          Well, this may be true, but I have noticed one significant difference between
          the Dell RAM and the Crucial RAM. In my 7500 I have a 64 MB module from Dell
          and a 128 MB module from Crucial. Both work, but when I probe the I2C bus only
          the Dell module seems to contain an EEPROM. Dumping the EEPROM contents does
          not reveal a manufacturers name, although there is a part number (which I don't
          have to hand at present). As I understand it, the EEPROM allows compliant
          BIOSs to tune memory access speeds to get best performance from the RAM. I
          don't know if the Dell BIOS would take advantage of this information if the
          Crucial RAM supplied it.

          Interestingly, apart from the Dell RAM at 0x50, there is one other device in
          the I2C bus at 0x30. It reads as all 0xff, so if it does anything it is
          presumably write only. Does anyone have any ideas what it might be? It isn't
          the other RAM module, since it's still there when I take the Crucial RAM out.

          Thanks,

          Richard

          ---

          Richard Simpson
          Farnborough, Hants, Uk Fax: 01252 392976
          rsimpson@...