How to get CDROM to install RH6.1 on Latitude CPx?

  • ddurbin@mail.utexas.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2000
      I am attempting an install from scratch, no dual boot. Settings are
      to read bootable media from floppy, then CDROM, then HD. Red Hat 6.1
      CDROM shows start screen with options for regular install, upgrade,
      expert mode, etc. After choosing regular install, the usual boot up
      messages scroll by, then nothing - the screen goes blank.
      I read in the installation manual about making a PCMCIA boot floppy,
      and did so. However, my problem is that the modular bay will only
      hold the floppy drive or CDROM drive, and it is not possible to use
      both simultaneously With the PCMCIA boot floppy, progress halts at
      the point where it asks where the packages are, and gives me one
      choice: the HD! Obviously, it is somehow necessary to be able to do
      everything from the CDROM module.
      I don't mind buying Red Hat 7.0 or even some other distro, but just
      want to see if this is a problem that's even been resolved in a newer
      version, or if some other measure is required. Any help will be
      greatly appreciated.