kppp on Inspiron 5000e

  • Ralph@bustech.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
      Using the ppp.o for Linux 2.2.16 from Christoph Hebeisen's web site
      www.heby.de/computer/ltmodem I was able to get RedHat 7 to
      successfully connect to my ATT Worldnet account.

      Red Hat 7 is 2.2.16-22 so you have to force ppp.o to be loaded.

      To make this work, rename ppp.o in /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/ppp.o to
      ppp.o.orig and then put Christoph's ppp.o into the net folder.

      Use the following insmod commands:

      insmod /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/slhc.o
      insmod /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/ppp.o -f

      With both of these mods loaded, kppp & ppp both started and I can
      access the web.

      Unfortunately, once I disconnect (using kppp disconnect), kppp
      (actually ppp) won't restart until I shutdown and restart.

      Has anyone else got this working? If so, any ideas on why I cannot
      run kppp more than once?
    • Rob Yale
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
        I'm using an Inspiron 4000 (that I just succeeded in installing RH 7 on) and
        I'd love to be able to eliminate that obnoxious click-by-tapping feature on
        the track pad.

        How can I do that?

        Thanks,

        Rob Yale

        McClear Digital Recording and Post Production Studios
        Toronto, Canada, http://www.mcclear.com
        tel: 416-977-9740 Cellular: 416-579-9253
      • Richard Simpson
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2000
          On Sat, 02 Dec 2000, you wrote:
          >I'm using an Inspiron 4000 (that I just succeeded in installing RH 7 on) and
          >I'd love to be able to eliminate that obnoxious click-by-tapping feature on
          >the track pad.
          >
          >How can I do that?

          Get the touchpad driver from http://compass.com/synaptics.

          Mind you, the version I downloaded (which I think is the latest) doesn't seem
          to come with any sort of documentation, so I haven't managed to figure out how
          to use it yet. But I've got the source now so I'm sure I will figure it out.

          Richard Simpson
          Farnborough, Hants, Uk Fax: 01252 392976
          rsimpson@...
        • lsarang@cs.sunysb.edu
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 19, 2000
            > Has anyone else got this working? If so, any ideas on why I cannot
            > run kppp more than once?

            I can disconnect from kppp and then rerun it but most of the time it
            dosn't work..

            I found that when I disconnect and connect again, kppp hangs.. and
            then i kill it and do a 'lsmod' and i see a "2" in front of ltmodem..
            thus the driver is being used and i can't rmmod it!

            A quick solution is to disconnect, stop kppp, remove all module, load
            the modules again and restart kppp.. whew! put all this in a script
            file and u're set to go!

            Q: Is there any way to forcefully remove a module even if it shows
            that its being used? that'll be great!

            -sarang