Memory for dell latitude cpi266dx

  • Johnnie Dunberg
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
      Hi..

      I want to buy more memory for my laptop but buying memory from dell is
      really expensive. Four times more expensive (sometimes) than for
      Toshiba. Is it possible to buy cheaper memory for this model?

      a8888b. Med vänliga hälsningar
      d888888b. Best regards
      8P"YP"Y88 Sevgiler
      8|o||o|88
      8' .88 Johnnie Dunberg
      8`._.' Y8. @-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@
      d/ `8b.
      dP . Y8b. dunberg@... uin:19900037
      d8:' " `::88b http://go.to/dunberg
      d8" 'Y88b +46-54-830 930 +47-708-224729
      :8P ' :888
      8a. : _a88P Östra Infarten 39-314
      ._/"Yaa_: .| 88P| 65461 Karlstad
      \ YP" `| 8P `. Sweden
      / \.___.d| .'
      `--..__)8888P`._.' @-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@-@
    • Richard Simpson
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 1, 2000
        On Fri, 01 Dec 2000, you wrote:

        I recently got some new memory for my i7500 from Crucial (www.crucial.com) and
        was very pleased with the price and the ease of use of their web site. It
        turned up in 3 days. They deliver to Sweden from their European office in the
        UK, and delivery seems to be 171 Krona (its free in the UK).

        It seems that you need non-parity EDO simms and they have 32 Mb ones at 859
        Krona and 64 Mb at 1705 Krona.

        I have no connection with Crucial other than as a (so far) satisfied customer.

        I hope that helps,

        Richard

        Richard Simpson
        Farnborough, Hants, Uk Fax: 01252 392976
        rsimpson@...
      • georgehu@mail.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 4, 2000
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, jo@m... wrote:

          > i installed the driver for the touchpad from http:
          > //compass.com/synaptics/
          > and configured it with "tpconfig --edgemode=3 --tapmode=3" in the
          > /sbin/init.d/boot.local

          Thanks to you and your note about "tpconfig" !

          I also downloaded/installed the driver from //compass.com/synaptics.

          My Question: How did you know to use "--edgemode=3" and
          "--tapmode=3" ? Where is the help-text or documentation for
          "tpconfig" ? I am using "--tapmode=0" for now, to avoid
          the very annoying unintentional tapping/clicking which
          clutters up my desktop at random times.

          Thanks for any help in finding the documentation for "tpconfig".

          g.
        • Pieter-Bas IJdens
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 5, 2000
            At 00:58 05-12-2000 +0000, you wrote:

            'tpconfig --help' will do the trick (works with most tools...). Also, see:

            http://www.google.com/search?q=tpconfig+touchpad&num=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off

            Should be something like:

            -i, --info display current TouchPad configuration
            -x, --reset perform a software reset on the TouchPad
            -q, --quiet, --silent suppress verbose output
            -a display absolute/relative mode
            --absolute, --relative set absolute/relative mode
            -r, --rate=[0,1] display/set reporting rate
            0 = normal, 1 = high
            -s, --sleep=[0-1] display/set sleep mode:
            0 = disable, 1 = enable
            -t, --tapmode=[0-3] display/set tapping mode:
            0 = no tap gestures
            1 = tap-to-click only
            2 = tap and non-locking drag
            3 = tap and locking drag
            -2, --two-button set two-button mode
            -3, --three-button set three-button mode
            -c, --corner=[0-1] display/enable corner taps:
            0 = disable, 1 = enable
            -e, --edgemode=[0,1,3] display/set edge motion:
            0 = never
            1 = always
            3 = only during drag
            -m display which button corner taps simulate
            --middle-button make corner taps simulate middle button
            --right-button make corner taps simulate right button
            -z display z threshold setting
            --zthreshold=[0-7] set z threshold (tap sensitivity; 0=light)
            --threshold=[0-7] same as --zthreshold
            --help display this help and exit
            --version output version information

            >--- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, jo@m... wrote:
            >
            > > i installed the driver for the touchpad from http:
            > > //compass.com/synaptics/
            > > and configured it with "tpconfig --edgemode=3 --tapmode=3" in the
            > > /sbin/init.d/boot.local
            > >

            >Thanks to you and your note about "tpconfig" !
            >
            >I also downloaded/installed the driver from //compass.com/synaptics.
            >
            >My Question: How did you know to use "--edgemode=3" and
            >"--tapmode=3" ? Where is the help-text or documentation for
            >"tpconfig" ? I am using "--tapmode=0" for now, to avoid
            >the very annoying unintentional tapping/clicking which
            >clutters up my desktop at random times.
            >
            >Thanks for any help in finding the documentation for "tpconfig".
            >
            >g.
            >

            >eGroups
            >Sponsor<http://rd.yahoo.com/M=102308.1038796.2731130.908943/D=egroupmail/S=1700005378:N/A=466330/?http://www.yahoo.com>

            On the box it said "Install Windows 98 or better", so I installed Linux
          • Richard Simpson
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 5, 2000
              On Tue, 05 Dec 2000, you wrote:
              >At 00:58 05-12-2000 +0000, you wrote:
              >
              >'tpconfig --help' will do the trick (works with most tools...).

              Yes, well I tried that, but it wouldn't print any help because it couldn't open
              the PS/2 port. It turns out that although I had stopped gpm there was still
              something else (not X) holding onto the port. I have fixed it now.

              >Should be something like:
              >
              > -i, --info display current TouchPad configuration
              > -x, --reset perform a software reset on the TouchPad
              > -s, --sleep=[0-1] display/set sleep mode:
              > 0 = disable, 1 = enable
              > -t, --tapmode=[0-3] display/set tapping mode:
              > 0 = no tap gestures
              > 1 = tap-to-click only
              > 2 = tap and non-locking drag
              > 3 = tap and locking drag

              I don't get most of the options you list and am basically limited to -s and -t.
              Reading the source, I get the impression that there are several types of pad
              and they don't all support all of the options. The -t option turns off tap
              mode OK (which was my main need for the program), but I can't find any
              information on what sleep mode does.

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 5, 2000
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Pieter-Bas IJdens <spam@m...>
                wrote:
                > At 00:58 05-12-2000 +0000, you wrote:
                >
                > 'tpconfig --help' will do the trick (works with most tools...).
                Also, see:

                http://www.google.com/search?q=tpconfig+touchpad&n
                um=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off

                Thanks for all that Good Info about "tpconfig". I did try your
                suggestion even before I posted a reply. That is, I entered
                'tpconfig --help' but got nothing but the big square box with
                author and copyright information in it - Plus a Core Dump.

                Now I'm wondering if I have the same version of "touchpad"
                that corresponds to all the commands you listed in your reply.
                I will investigate further, and post again if I get lost (which
                is very likely since I'm so new to Linux).

                g.
              • Vance Wheelock
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 5, 2000
                  I experienced this also. I downloaded the 3.1 version first and also
                  could not find directions and couldn't execute it. I then went back and
                  grabbed the older 2.2 rpm version because I didn't want to patch my
                  kernel. It also complained about an error in one of my cpp's. So I
                  grabbed the source for 2.2 and finally compild and tested it. The third
                  try worked like a charm, and the --help option does work.

                  You only need the 3.1 version if you mouse/system is the same as what is
                  described in the notes. Otherwise the 2.2 should work just fine

                  However, the question I have is: Does this utility help at all in
                  X-Windows. In my experience I could get it to work like I wanted in the
                  console, but in X it did nothing. I had killed gpm as described, ran
                  tpconfig with the options I wanted. In the console this worked
                  beautifully, but when I started X nothing at all. In the instructions
                  the only thing I could see was that people were restarting gpm. However
                  when I do this the behaviors are back. I will say that I'm starting gpm
                  like this: "gpm -t PS/2". I'm not sure if the gpm is overiding what
                  tpconfig was doing....

                  Vance

                  georgehu@... wrote:

                  > --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, Pieter-Bas IJdens <spam@m...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > At 00:58 05-12-2000 +0000, you wrote:
                  > >
                  > > 'tpconfig --help' will do the trick (works with most tools...).
                  > Also, see:
                  > >

                  > http://www.google.com/search?q=tpconfig+touchpad&n
                  > um=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=off
                  > >
                  > Thanks for all that Good Info about "tpconfig". I did try your
                  > suggestion even before I posted a reply. That is, I entered
                  > 'tpconfig --help' but got nothing but the big square box with
                  > author and copyright information in it - Plus a Core Dump.
                  >
                  > Now I'm wondering if I have the same version of "touchpad"
                  > that corresponds to all the commands you listed in your reply.
                  > I will investigate further, and post again if I get lost (which
                  > is very likely since I'm so new to Linux).
                  >
                  > g.

                  Vance Wheelock II, Software Engineer, weddingstreetjournal.com
                  "On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
                  it said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed Linux."
                  - Anonymous
                • C. P. de los Heros
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 8, 2000
                    Hi all,
                    I have an external mouse in the USB port in my
                    Latitude CPx650 with RH7.0. With this configuration
                    the touchpad does not work. Does anyone know if I can have
                    both active (two Pointer definitions in XF86Config for example?)
                    I would like to have the option of starting the machine
                    with or without connecting the external mouse and have always
                    the touchpad working.

                    Carlos.

                    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
                    Carlos P. de los Heros
                    Department of High Energy Physics cph@...
                    Box 535. Uppsala University tel:+46 18 4713256
                    S-75121 Uppsala. Sweden fax:+46 18 4713513
                    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
                  • Jean-Philippe Combe
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 11, 2000
                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@e..., "C. P. de los Heros" <cph@u...> wrote

                      > I have an external mouse in the USB port in my
                      > Latitude CPx650 with RH7.0. With this configuration
                      > the touchpad does not work. Does anyone know if I can have
                      > both active (two Pointer definitions in XF86Config for example?)
                      > I would like to have the option of starting the machine
                      > with or without connecting the external mouse and have always
                      > the touchpad working.

                      It's quite easy to do, because X is able to handle several pointer
                      device in the same time. Here is my XF86Config-4 file (only the part
                      relevant to mouse config):

                      Section "ServerLayout"
                      Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
                      Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
                      InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
                      InputDevice "Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"
                      InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
                      EndSection

                      (look at the additional Mouse1 InputDevice)

                      Section "InputDevice"
                      Identifier "Mouse0"
                      Driver "mouse"
                      Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
                      Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
                      Option "Emulate3Buttons"
                      Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
                      EndSection

                      Section "InputDevice"
                      Identifier "Mouse1"
                      Driver "mouse"
                      Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
                      Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
                      Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
                      Option "Buttons" "5"
                      EndSection

                      (here there are the standard mouse device for the touchpad (Mouse0)
                      and the additional one on the USB side (Mouse1))

                      At startup if your USB mouse isn't connected, don't let Kudzu change
                      anything. It always work (at least for me ;-).

                      With RedHat7.0 the /dev/input/mice device already exist. You can have
                      a look to the configuration-HOWTO if you want more informations.

                      GronY