Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Dell Linux Support WAS: inspiron 8000

  • Art Delano
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
      At 4:27 PM +0000 12/1/00, ashley_pond@... wrote:
      >so, be very careful with these refurbs, the warranty is basically
      >"BUYER BEWARE", with the only caveat being that FOR 30 DAYS ONLY if
      >you don't like what you bought for any reason, you are entitled to
      >ship the unit back to DELL. you forego all possibilities of any real
      >hardware warranty after 30 days by going the refurb route: you have
      >no option to purchase any longer warranty with the refurbs.

      That's not true.

      The 30-day policy only covers full refund for hardware return for defective
      merchandise. The warranty is otherwise identical to the new machines. (The
      lower-end Inspirons have 1-year warranties; the higher-end Inspirons have
      3-year warranties)
      Compare the refurb warranty statement at
      http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/topics/segtopic_000_warranty.htm
      with the standard warranty statement at
      http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/topics/segtopic_services_warranty.htm

      >the post below probably comes from a DELL rep. in fact, the tone of
      >several of these posts seems to be a bit too understanding of what is
      >really an illegal practice of monopoly.

      I work in southeastern Michigan (extrapolate my employer's web URL from my
      address), and am speaking representing only myself.

      Please reserve your unfounded speculations for evenings with your friends.

      AjD

      --
      Art Delano, New Media Designer "The 2nd half of this cut features
      Logic Solutions, Inc. an unprecedented collaboration