Re: Dell Linux Support WAS: inspiron 8000

  • ashley_pond@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
      there is a difference between not knowing and not caring
      because another monolith has made life simpler that way...

      seriously folks, there are several direct-action methods
      for combatting the DELL stupidity:

      -- when ordering a system not officially supported for
      linux, load the system fully, max the features, and
      when the order-entered announcement arrives, simply
      reply

      "Please cancel this order immediately due to LACK of
      LINUX support. Your website is misleading, I've
      looked for the instructions there for installing
      LINUX and LINUX driver downloads and tips and cannot
      find any".

      ten or so of these a day for a month should do the
      trick.

      -- take ten minutes to email dell support with general
      questions on how to install LINUX on laptops, and
      where the instructions are for doing this, on their
      website. when they respond negatively, or probably
      as they did before with a null pointer, let them
      know you'll become more interested when they start
      to provide some more substantial info.

      again, if they just got ten or so of these a day for
      a month, that would be sufficient.

      -- similarly for the MS software.

      let's see - 30 * 30 * $3K * 12 -> $32.4M per year.

      -- keep posting those alternative vendors, here, and
      regularly! that'll suck another $10M or so in business.

      remember, for these clowns, it *always* comes down to a business
      decision. one need only make it clear that it is the correct decision
      to wake up and smell the end of the monopoly.

      sincerely,
      ashley
    • ashley_pond@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
        be very careful not to confuse issues here.

        the issue is not "how to get less with less", the issue is "how to get
        rid of both the LINUX stupidity and the MSFT stuff". with a laptop,
        one really needs to get the long warranties, laptops do have a
        charmingly high rate of hardware breakage. face it, the other
        part of the warranty on refurbs, the free support is also useless,
        really, as most of the linux crowd can do a lot better on the software
        and installation support themselves, anyway.

        so, be very careful with these refurbs, the warranty is basically
        "BUYER BEWARE", with the only caveat being that FOR 30 DAYS ONLY if
        you don't like what you bought for any reason, you are entitled to
        ship the unit back to DELL. you forego all possibilities of any real
        hardware warranty after 30 days by going the refurb route: you have
        no option to purchase any longer warranty with the refurbs.

        the post below probably comes from a DELL rep. in fact, the tone of
        several of these posts seems to be a bit too understanding of what is
        really an illegal practice of monopoly.

        follow art's link thru a couple of pages and click at the left on
        "warrant information" to see it in b&w.

        ouch! yikes! my oh my oh my! can it be true really, that things are
        not set-up to be helpful to the buyer?

        i'm so in shock :)

        ashley
        =================

        =================
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Art Delano" <adelano@l...>
        wrote:
        > At 1:14 PM +0000 12/1/00, Richard Simpson wrote:
        > >BTW, don't forget that if you work for a big Dell customer you can
        get a
        > >discount on Dell hardware which you buy for home. On my 7500 I got
        7% off and
        > >a free upgrade to a 3 year warranty.
        >
        > Don't rule out the Dell Factory Outlet, either. It sells refurbished
        > systems for reasonable prices (my Inspiron 3800 was bought for $1499
        from
        > there in June, compared to a similar configuration from the main
        store
        > which at the time cost over $2500). The standard Dell warranties are
        > included, as well.
        >
        > http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfo/misc/segmenter_dfo.htm
        > (URL only applicable in the States; sorry)
        >
        > Somebody else had asked about vendors which specialize in laptops
        > pre-loaded with Linux rather than Windows. I found this when i was
        > initially shopping for laptops last Spring. I haven't dealt with
        them but
        > it shouldn't be hard to track down reports from people who have:
        > http://www.tuxtops.com/
        >
        > AjD
        >
        > --
        > Art Delano, New Media Designer "The 2nd half of this cut
        features
        > Logic Solutions, Inc. an unprecedented
        collaboration
        > adelano@l... between African Pygmies and
        > 734-930-0009x215 a tango orchestra."
      • Art Delano
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
          At 4:27 PM +0000 12/1/00, ashley_pond@... wrote:
          >so, be very careful with these refurbs, the warranty is basically
          >"BUYER BEWARE", with the only caveat being that FOR 30 DAYS ONLY if
          >you don't like what you bought for any reason, you are entitled to
          >ship the unit back to DELL. you forego all possibilities of any real
          >hardware warranty after 30 days by going the refurb route: you have
          >no option to purchase any longer warranty with the refurbs.

          That's not true.

          The 30-day policy only covers full refund for hardware return for defective
          merchandise. The warranty is otherwise identical to the new machines. (The
          lower-end Inspirons have 1-year warranties; the higher-end Inspirons have
          3-year warranties)
          Compare the refurb warranty statement at
          http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/topics/segtopic_000_warranty.htm
          with the standard warranty statement at
          http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/topics/segtopic_services_warranty.htm

          >the post below probably comes from a DELL rep. in fact, the tone of
          >several of these posts seems to be a bit too understanding of what is
          >really an illegal practice of monopoly.

          I work in southeastern Michigan (extrapolate my employer's web URL from my
          address), and am speaking representing only myself.

          Please reserve your unfounded speculations for evenings with your friends.

          AjD

          --
          Art Delano, New Media Designer "The 2nd half of this cut features
          Logic Solutions, Inc. an unprecedented collaboration
          adelano@... between African Pygmies and
          734-930-0009x215 a tango orchestra."