Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Dell Linux Support WAS: inspiron 8000

Expand Messages
  • Richard Simpson
    ... When I bought my 7500 a few weeks ago I asked about getting it with Linux installed. Since I am in the UK, it also came from Dell Ireland. The sales guy
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
    • 0 Attachment
      On Fri, 01 Dec 2000, you wrote:
      >Just to say that here ( University of Limerick ) we can buy machines
      >from DELL Ireland without the great virus being pre-installed.

      When I bought my 7500 a few weeks ago I asked about getting it with Linux
      installed. Since I am in the UK, it also came from Dell Ireland. The sales
      guy sounded a bit vague, but he basically said that he had heard of it being
      possible in the USA, but in respect of laptops, he was not aware of any plans
      in Europe.

      My employer (part of the UK government) is a big Dell customer and according to
      our stores catalogue I can order a Dell server with RedHat on it, but I haven't
      tried this yet.

      BTW, don't forget that if you work for a big Dell customer you can get a
      discount on Dell hardware which you buy for home. On my 7500 I got 7% off and
      a free upgrade to a 3 year warranty.

      Richard

      --
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

      Richard Simpson
      Farnborough, Hants, Uk Fax: 01252 392976
      rsimpson@...
    • Art Delano
      ... Don t rule out the Dell Factory Outlet, either. It sells refurbished systems for reasonable prices (my Inspiron 3800 was bought for $1499 from there in
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
      • 0 Attachment
        At 1:14 PM +0000 12/1/00, Richard Simpson wrote:
        >BTW, don't forget that if you work for a big Dell customer you can get a
        >discount on Dell hardware which you buy for home. On my 7500 I got 7% off and
        >a free upgrade to a 3 year warranty.

        Don't rule out the Dell Factory Outlet, either. It sells refurbished
        systems for reasonable prices (my Inspiron 3800 was bought for $1499 from
        there in June, compared to a similar configuration from the main store
        which at the time cost over $2500). The standard Dell warranties are
        included, as well.

        http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfo/misc/segmenter_dfo.htm
        (URL only applicable in the States; sorry)

        Somebody else had asked about vendors which specialize in laptops
        pre-loaded with Linux rather than Windows. I found this when i was
        initially shopping for laptops last Spring. I haven't dealt with them but
        it shouldn't be hard to track down reports from people who have:
        http://www.tuxtops.com/

        AjD

        --
        Art Delano, New Media Designer "The 2nd half of this cut features
        Logic Solutions, Inc. an unprecedented collaboration
        adelano@... between African Pygmies and
        734-930-0009x215 a tango orchestra."
      • ashley_pond@yahoo.com
        there is a difference between not knowing and not caring because another monolith has made life simpler that way... seriously folks, there are several
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
        • 0 Attachment
          there is a difference between not knowing and not caring
          because another monolith has made life simpler that way...

          seriously folks, there are several direct-action methods
          for combatting the DELL stupidity:

          -- when ordering a system not officially supported for
          linux, load the system fully, max the features, and
          when the order-entered announcement arrives, simply
          reply

          "Please cancel this order immediately due to LACK of
          LINUX support. Your website is misleading, I've
          looked for the instructions there for installing
          LINUX and LINUX driver downloads and tips and cannot
          find any".

          ten or so of these a day for a month should do the
          trick.

          -- take ten minutes to email dell support with general
          questions on how to install LINUX on laptops, and
          where the instructions are for doing this, on their
          website. when they respond negatively, or probably
          as they did before with a null pointer, let them
          know you'll become more interested when they start
          to provide some more substantial info.

          again, if they just got ten or so of these a day for
          a month, that would be sufficient.

          -- similarly for the MS software.

          let's see - 30 * 30 * $3K * 12 -> $32.4M per year.

          -- keep posting those alternative vendors, here, and
          regularly! that'll suck another $10M or so in business.

          remember, for these clowns, it *always* comes down to a business
          decision. one need only make it clear that it is the correct decision
          to wake up and smell the end of the monopoly.

          sincerely,
          ashley
        • ashley_pond@yahoo.com
          be very careful not to confuse issues here. the issue is not how to get less with less , the issue is how to get rid of both the LINUX stupidity and the MSFT
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
          • 0 Attachment
            be very careful not to confuse issues here.

            the issue is not "how to get less with less", the issue is "how to get
            rid of both the LINUX stupidity and the MSFT stuff". with a laptop,
            one really needs to get the long warranties, laptops do have a
            charmingly high rate of hardware breakage. face it, the other
            part of the warranty on refurbs, the free support is also useless,
            really, as most of the linux crowd can do a lot better on the software
            and installation support themselves, anyway.

            so, be very careful with these refurbs, the warranty is basically
            "BUYER BEWARE", with the only caveat being that FOR 30 DAYS ONLY if
            you don't like what you bought for any reason, you are entitled to
            ship the unit back to DELL. you forego all possibilities of any real
            hardware warranty after 30 days by going the refurb route: you have
            no option to purchase any longer warranty with the refurbs.

            the post below probably comes from a DELL rep. in fact, the tone of
            several of these posts seems to be a bit too understanding of what is
            really an illegal practice of monopoly.

            follow art's link thru a couple of pages and click at the left on
            "warrant information" to see it in b&w.

            ouch! yikes! my oh my oh my! can it be true really, that things are
            not set-up to be helpful to the buyer?

            i'm so in shock :)

            ashley
            =================

            =================
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Art Delano" <adelano@l...>
            wrote:
            > At 1:14 PM +0000 12/1/00, Richard Simpson wrote:
            > >BTW, don't forget that if you work for a big Dell customer you can
            get a
            > >discount on Dell hardware which you buy for home. On my 7500 I got
            7% off and
            > >a free upgrade to a 3 year warranty.
            >
            > Don't rule out the Dell Factory Outlet, either. It sells refurbished
            > systems for reasonable prices (my Inspiron 3800 was bought for $1499
            from
            > there in June, compared to a similar configuration from the main
            store
            > which at the time cost over $2500). The standard Dell warranties are
            > included, as well.
            >
            > http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfo/misc/segmenter_dfo.htm
            > (URL only applicable in the States; sorry)
            >
            > Somebody else had asked about vendors which specialize in laptops
            > pre-loaded with Linux rather than Windows. I found this when i was
            > initially shopping for laptops last Spring. I haven't dealt with
            them but
            > it shouldn't be hard to track down reports from people who have:
            > http://www.tuxtops.com/
            >
            > AjD
            >
            > --
            > Art Delano, New Media Designer "The 2nd half of this cut
            features
            > Logic Solutions, Inc. an unprecedented
            collaboration
            > adelano@l... between African Pygmies and
            > 734-930-0009x215 a tango orchestra."
          • Art Delano
            ... That s not true. The 30-day policy only covers full refund for hardware return for defective merchandise. The warranty is otherwise identical to the new
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
            • 0 Attachment
              At 4:27 PM +0000 12/1/00, ashley_pond@... wrote:
              >so, be very careful with these refurbs, the warranty is basically
              >"BUYER BEWARE", with the only caveat being that FOR 30 DAYS ONLY if
              >you don't like what you bought for any reason, you are entitled to
              >ship the unit back to DELL. you forego all possibilities of any real
              >hardware warranty after 30 days by going the refurb route: you have
              >no option to purchase any longer warranty with the refurbs.

              That's not true.

              The 30-day policy only covers full refund for hardware return for defective
              merchandise. The warranty is otherwise identical to the new machines. (The
              lower-end Inspirons have 1-year warranties; the higher-end Inspirons have
              3-year warranties)
              Compare the refurb warranty statement at
              http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/topics/segtopic_000_warranty.htm
              with the standard warranty statement at
              http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/topics/segtopic_services_warranty.htm

              >the post below probably comes from a DELL rep. in fact, the tone of
              >several of these posts seems to be a bit too understanding of what is
              >really an illegal practice of monopoly.

              I work in southeastern Michigan (extrapolate my employer's web URL from my
              address), and am speaking representing only myself.

              Please reserve your unfounded speculations for evenings with your friends.

              AjD

              --
              Art Delano, New Media Designer "The 2nd half of this cut features
              Logic Solutions, Inc. an unprecedented collaboration
              adelano@... between African Pygmies and
              734-930-0009x215 a tango orchestra."
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.