Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: inspiron 8000

  • C. P. de los Heros
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 1, 2000
      well, there is a way out of MS windows. It can be a painful
      and slow one, but I think worth trying for those not
      wanting that stuff. The first time you switch your
      computer DO NOT ACCEPT the MS licence agreement which
      pops up in a window.
      For more details check http://www.linuxmall.com/refund/

      Of course the aim must be to be able to choose beforehand...

      Carlos.

      '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
      Carlos P. de los Heros
      Department of High Energy Physics cph@...
      Box 535. Uppsala University tel:+46 18 4713256
      S-75121 Uppsala. Sweden fax:+46 18 4713513
      '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
      On Fri, 1 Dec 2000 ashley_pond@... wrote:

      > couple of general questions on purchasing from dell:
      >
      > - i can find no one at dell, nor an option on the order form,
      > that will let me opt-out of the MS software that seems to
      > be *rammed* *reamed* and otherwise forced on the buyer. has
      > anyone had *any* luck in getting them to back off of their
      > ridiculous "support the borg at all costs" approach. aside:
      > i was equally unable to even coax an answer out of any
      > dell rep as to whether or not rh 7 would install on the 8000!
      > what a *bunch of losers*! even the nazi did not have it as
      > badly as that bunch of corporate losers! you may *think*
      > you live in a democracy, friends, but you really have no
      > rights, think about it. someone else has signed off your
      > right to choose... for what... cash? a house in bahamas?
      > follow the money. what did michael get out of this deal
      > that we are now paying for with our sweat.

    • ChandraKanth Nathani
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 31, 2000

        I have been seriosly considering inspiron 8000 for the laptop I am gonna buy in the next two days and I have been following all the messages on this list. The only thing thats making me go for inspiron 8000 is that we can go for higher resolutions, where as all other brands give 1024X768.

        No one has talked about the modem and network card that comes on the board in Inspiron 8000.. did anyone have success in getting them to work?

        Thanks

        Chandu

        ChandraKanth Nathani

        Do You Yahoo!?
      • Chris Mason
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 31, 2000
          I have a Dell Latitude CP M233XT running Redhat 7 very nicely.  When I activate the power management features, the X server cannot recover from a suspend. I have to Cntl - Alt - Backspace to reboot X. Is there a way to make the OS work with the PM features?

          Chris Mason
          Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
          Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463
          USA Fax (561) 382-7771
          Take a virtual tour of the island
          http://net.ai/ The Anguilla Guide
          Find out more about NetConcepts
          www.netconcepts.ai
          Talk to me in real time with Instant Messenger: masonc92@...

        • brianhef-egroups@heftone.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 31, 2000
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, ChandraKanth Nathani
            <chandrakanth_n@y...> wrote:

            I think Dell ships at least two different built-in miniPCI
            network/modem combos, depending on what's avaialble. The one I got in
            mine (shipped 200-12-22) shows as an Actiontec 82559 in the windows
            device manager. It uses the eepro100 network driver in linux. I've
            seen other reports of i8000s shipping with a 3com-based miniPCI
            instead. In both cases the 10/100 network part is recognised and works
            out-of-the-box using Redhat 7, but I've heard of no success with the
            modem.

            The miniPCI network jack worked for me first try with my Redhat 7
            install, but I it stops working after suspend and I haven't managed to
            get the to get it back up without rebooting. I have not read any
            reports of problems with the 3com-based card recovering correctly from
            suspend in linux.

            I haven't spent more than 5 minutes fussing with the modem. I suspect
            it's a lucent-based winmodem that maybe-will maybe-won't work with a
            binary-only driver in linux. I just haven't bothered.

            I have a nice Linksys pcmcia modem/10/100 that I use after resuming
            from suspend.

            I really like the i8000, especially the hi-res screen. The keyboard
            beats other laptop keyboards I've tried.
            --Brian

            > I have been seriosly considering inspiron 8000 for the laptop I am
            gonna buy in the next two days and I have been following all the
            messages on this list. The only thing thats making me go for inspiron
            8000 is that we can go for higher resolutions, where as all other
            brands give 1024X768.
            > No one has talked about the modem and network card that comes on the
            board in Inspiron 8000.. did anyone have success in getting them to
            work?
            > Thanks
            > Chandu
            >

            > ChandraKanth Nathani

          • Marc Fellman
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2001
              Aanhalen ChandraKanth Nathani <chandrakanth_n@...>:

              > I have been seriosly considering inspiron 8000 for the laptop I am gonna
              > buy in the next two days and I have been following all the messages on
              > this list. The only thing thats making me go for inspiron 8000 is that
              > we can go for higher resolutions, where as all other brands give
              > 1024X768.

              Dell has also the 5000e that reaches higher reslutions and as I see in the list
              is probably better suported hardware.

              > No one has talked about the modem and network card that comes on the
              > board in Inspiron 8000.. did anyone have success in getting them to
              > work?
              > Thanks
              > Chandu
              >

              > ChandraKanth Nathani

              Marc

              Dit bericht was verstuurd met IMP: fellsoft.homeip.net
            • dell-linux@aaman.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2001
                The IBM A21p offers 1600x1200 aswell as video-in/out, it is more
                expensive though, and only Open Linux is officially supported.
                But the graphics-card is the same as in inspiron so X should be
                no problem.

                / Daniel