Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Dell Linux Support WAS: inspiron 8000

  • scsijon
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 30, 2000
      That's right at present.

      However a group of us are starting to work on our locals offices with
      feedback on what works and doesn't, as well as reminding them (continually)
      that we ARE running Linux.

      Their problem I think is they don't know enough to support the variations
      (in brands) around and not realising their really the same package, just in
      different configurations.

      Your welcome to join us, there is no mail list or anything. All you need to
      do is just keep your Local Dell Sales Person up to whats going on and ask
      them to pass it on to the USA Dell Linux Support Group.

      IF ENOUGH OF US DO IT THEY HAVE TO REALISE WERE RUNNING A SERIOUS OPERATING
      SYSTEM AND NOT JUST A HOBBY ONE AND THEY HAVE A REASONABLE NUMBER OF USERS
      REQUIRING REAL SUPPORT.

      scsijon
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
        Hi all,

        Just to say that here ( University of Limerick ) we can buy machines
        from DELL Ireland without the great virus being pre-installed.

        We have to include a note with each order saying we will not be
        installing any version of the great virus on the machines. I normally
        include a comment that I will be putting Linux on them. In our case it
        saves about $100 US on each machine.

        The University has a site licence for the virus anyway so at a later
        time we can make the machines dual boot when necessary.

        I haven't asked about having Linux pre-installed on laptops but I got
        it done on several PowerEdge servers. Just to see how DELL would
        partition the drives. Once we got the machines we re-installed.
        I've Redhat-7.0 running on Latitude CPx's without any problems except
        for sound and I haven't really looked into that.

        I'll be in the market for a laptop soon so I'll ask for Linux and let
        you know what happens.

        Tony.

        Tony Molloy. e-mail: tony.molloy@...
        Systems Manager.
        Dept. of CSIS. Phone: +353-61-202778 (DL)
        Univ. of Limerick. +353-61-333644 ext. 2778
        Ireland. Fax: +353-61-202734
      • Richard Simpson
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
          On Fri, 01 Dec 2000, you wrote:
          >Just to say that here ( University of Limerick ) we can buy machines
          >from DELL Ireland without the great virus being pre-installed.

          When I bought my 7500 a few weeks ago I asked about getting it with Linux
          installed. Since I am in the UK, it also came from Dell Ireland. The sales
          guy sounded a bit vague, but he basically said that he had heard of it being
          possible in the USA, but in respect of laptops, he was not aware of any plans
          in Europe.

          My employer (part of the UK government) is a big Dell customer and according to
          our stores catalogue I can order a Dell server with RedHat on it, but I haven't
          tried this yet.

          BTW, don't forget that if you work for a big Dell customer you can get a
          discount on Dell hardware which you buy for home. On my 7500 I got 7% off and
          a free upgrade to a 3 year warranty.

          Richard

          Richard Simpson
          Farnborough, Hants, Uk Fax: 01252 392976
          rsimpson@...
        • Art Delano
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
            At 1:14 PM +0000 12/1/00, Richard Simpson wrote:
            >BTW, don't forget that if you work for a big Dell customer you can get a
            >discount on Dell hardware which you buy for home. On my 7500 I got 7% off and
            >a free upgrade to a 3 year warranty.

            Don't rule out the Dell Factory Outlet, either. It sells refurbished
            systems for reasonable prices (my Inspiron 3800 was bought for $1499 from
            there in June, compared to a similar configuration from the main store
            which at the time cost over $2500). The standard Dell warranties are
            included, as well.

            http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfo/misc/segmenter_dfo.htm
            (URL only applicable in the States; sorry)

            Somebody else had asked about vendors which specialize in laptops
            pre-loaded with Linux rather than Windows. I found this when i was
            initially shopping for laptops last Spring. I haven't dealt with them but
            it shouldn't be hard to track down reports from people who have:
            http://www.tuxtops.com/

            AjD

            --
            Art Delano, New Media Designer "The 2nd half of this cut features
            Logic Solutions, Inc. an unprecedented collaboration
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
              there is a difference between not knowing and not caring
              because another monolith has made life simpler that way...

              seriously folks, there are several direct-action methods
              for combatting the DELL stupidity:

              -- when ordering a system not officially supported for
              linux, load the system fully, max the features, and
              when the order-entered announcement arrives, simply
              reply

              "Please cancel this order immediately due to LACK of
              LINUX support. Your website is misleading, I've
              looked for the instructions there for installing
              LINUX and LINUX driver downloads and tips and cannot
              find any".

              ten or so of these a day for a month should do the
              trick.

              -- take ten minutes to email dell support with general
              questions on how to install LINUX on laptops, and
              where the instructions are for doing this, on their
              website. when they respond negatively, or probably
              as they did before with a null pointer, let them
              know you'll become more interested when they start
              to provide some more substantial info.

              again, if they just got ten or so of these a day for
              a month, that would be sufficient.

              -- similarly for the MS software.

              let's see - 30 * 30 * $3K * 12 -> $32.4M per year.

              -- keep posting those alternative vendors, here, and
              regularly! that'll suck another $10M or so in business.

              remember, for these clowns, it *always* comes down to a business
              decision. one need only make it clear that it is the correct decision
              to wake up and smell the end of the monopoly.

              sincerely,
              ashley
            • ashley_pond@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
                be very careful not to confuse issues here.

                the issue is not "how to get less with less", the issue is "how to get
                rid of both the LINUX stupidity and the MSFT stuff". with a laptop,
                one really needs to get the long warranties, laptops do have a
                charmingly high rate of hardware breakage. face it, the other
                part of the warranty on refurbs, the free support is also useless,
                really, as most of the linux crowd can do a lot better on the software
                and installation support themselves, anyway.

                so, be very careful with these refurbs, the warranty is basically
                "BUYER BEWARE", with the only caveat being that FOR 30 DAYS ONLY if
                you don't like what you bought for any reason, you are entitled to
                ship the unit back to DELL. you forego all possibilities of any real
                hardware warranty after 30 days by going the refurb route: you have
                no option to purchase any longer warranty with the refurbs.

                the post below probably comes from a DELL rep. in fact, the tone of
                several of these posts seems to be a bit too understanding of what is
                really an illegal practice of monopoly.

                follow art's link thru a couple of pages and click at the left on
                "warrant information" to see it in b&w.

                ouch! yikes! my oh my oh my! can it be true really, that things are
                not set-up to be helpful to the buyer?

                i'm so in shock :)

                ashley
                =================

                =================
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@egroups.com, "Art Delano" <adelano@l...>

                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
                  At 4:27 PM +0000 12/1/00, ashley_pond@... wrote:
                  >so, be very careful with these refurbs, the warranty is basically
                  >"BUYER BEWARE", with the only caveat being that FOR 30 DAYS ONLY if
                  >you don't like what you bought for any reason, you are entitled to
                  >ship the unit back to DELL. you forego all possibilities of any real
                  >hardware warranty after 30 days by going the refurb route: you have
                  >no option to purchase any longer warranty with the refurbs.

                  That's not true.

                  The 30-day policy only covers full refund for hardware return for defective
                  merchandise. The warranty is otherwise identical to the new machines. (The
                  lower-end Inspirons have 1-year warranties; the higher-end Inspirons have
                  3-year warranties)
                  Compare the refurb warranty statement at
                  http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/topics/segtopic_000_warranty.htm
                  with the standard warranty statement at
                  http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/topics/segtopic_services_warranty.htm

                  >the post below probably comes from a DELL rep. in fact, the tone of
                  >several of these posts seems to be a bit too understanding of what is
                  >really an illegal practice of monopoly.

                  I work in southeastern Michigan (extrapolate my employer's web URL from my
                  address), and am speaking representing only myself.

                  Please reserve your unfounded speculations for evenings with your friends.

                  AjD