Re: Dell Inspiron 8200 with Truemobile 1180

  • Q.D.
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "broncos800rnr" <broncos800rnr@y...>
      wrote:
      > I just got my Dell laptop last week. I has the integrated mini PCI
      > Truemobile 1180 wireless card. I dual booted it with XP and RH
      > 7.3. The wireless card works great with XP. I can't get Linux to
      > recognize that my mini PCI card even exists. That means I can't
      > configure it. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

      I have the same card and RH 7.3, and the card works for me. The
      wireless card will be eth1, as eth0 is already taken by the wire
      internet connection.

      Look at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
      make sure you have:
      BOOTPROTO=dhcp
      ONBOOT=YES

      Also look in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts

      The mini-PCI card uses the same Orinoco Lucent driver as the regular
      Dell PCI card. So, go to the Orinoco section and
      - change to ESSID="any"
      - and comment out # MODE="Ad-Hoc"
      # KEY="s:secu1"

      There is probably more than way to set up the card, but this seems to
      work for me.
    • Samuel Halperin
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2002
        from: http://www.well.com/~samh/SOFTWARE/8200/index.html

        Wireless

        Dell inspirons ship with two different internal wireless cards. I
        bought mine in October of 2002 and it shipped with a TrueMobile 1180
        miniPCI card. The internals of this card are made by BroadComm, and
        unfortunately there is no Linux support for this card at the time of
        this writing.

        The solution to this is to order your 8200 without a wireless card, or
        send the one that it shipped with back. You need the older TrueMobile
        1150 miniPCI card, which Dell still sells. (Poke around on their
        web-site and you should find it for about $100USD.) It is simple to
        install.

        Run lspci as root and check the listing there. If you see only 2 card
        bus bridges and a Broadcomm communications device, you have the newer
        non-compatible card. If you see 3 card bus PCMCIA bridges then you
        have the 1150 installed. Run redhat-config-network as root and you
        should see your card under the hardware tab. Mine is listed as
        Lucent/Agere/Melco PCMCIA wireless (alternate.) Go to the 'device' tab
        and add a wireless card using the adapter listed.

        Hope that this helps,
        Sam.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2002
          I don't think that the reply is correct, though I would love to
          be proved wrong. I don't beleive that the TrueMobile1180 is
          compatible with the orinoco, or any known linux drivers. The 1150,
          which was shipped with most laptops up to a few months ago is.

          > Also look in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts

          This line leads me to think that the user is referring to the older
          1150, since that card was mini-pci with a cardbus wireless bridge.
          That made the card appear as a pcmcia card. The new 1180 is mini-
          pci, and does not implement a cardbus bridge.. It is not a pcmcia
          device like the older 1150.

          Run lspci at the shell prompt:
          2 cardbus bridges and a Broadcomm communications device indicates
          the new, and as far as I know incompatible 1180.

          3 cardbus bridges indicates the older 1150.

          Sam