Upgrading CPU

  • jtacomputing
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 5, 2002
      I have an Inspiron 8200 with a 1.6 GHz. I would like to upgrade the
      processor, but Dell isn't willing to pass along data on how to do
      that. Has anyone here had the opportunity to do such a thing, or
      know where one can go about upgrading the processor?

      Thanks!

      Jeff
    • Nebular
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 6, 2002
        make sure the new cpu is a P4-M, naturally.

        Next unscrew the screws on the bottom of the case that are labeled with a K

        Open up the laptop and lift off the keyboard, it easiest if you lift from the
        right side first.

        Pop off the top cover under the lcd (it just pops off and snaps back in)

        Then pop open the latch for the cpu heatsink, remove the heatsink, turn the
        locking screw, and switch the cpu.

        Then put everything back.

        simple

        Neb

        On November 5, 2002 08:32 pm, you wrote:
        > I have an Inspiron 8200 with a 1.6 GHz. I would like to upgrade the
        > processor, but Dell isn't willing to pass along data on how to do
        > that. Has anyone here had the opportunity to do such a thing, or
        > know where one can go about upgrading the processor?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Jeff

        http://freak-tasia.com

        All our thoughts that's fit to write and then some
      • Andrew

          Any ideas where I could find a pIII-M? 1.13 Ghz would be nice seeing as mine
          is an 866. I've tried Ebay to no avail :(

          Thanx,
          Andrew

          On Wednesday 06 November 2002 02:56 pm, Nebular wrote:
          > make sure the new cpu is a P4-M, naturally.
          >
          > Next unscrew the screws on the bottom of the case that are labeled with a K
          >
          > Open up the laptop and lift off the keyboard, it easiest if you lift from
          > the right side first.
          >
          > Pop off the top cover under the lcd (it just pops off and snaps back in)
          >
          > Then pop open the latch for the cpu heatsink, remove the heatsink, turn the
          > locking screw, and switch the cpu.
          >
          > Then put everything back.
          >
          > simple
          >
          > Neb
          >
          > On November 5, 2002 08:32 pm, you wrote:
          > > I have an Inspiron 8200 with a 1.6 GHz. I would like to upgrade the
          > > processor, but Dell isn't willing to pass along data on how to do
          > > that. Has anyone here had the opportunity to do such a thing, or
          > > know where one can go about upgrading the processor?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > >
          > > Jeff

          - --

          PGP fingerprint: A00A 1E75 3AB0 610E 2300 6855 1890 C61E E590 F777
          Link to PGP key: http://linuxboy.dyndns.org/files/pubpgpkey.txt
        • Mcleod, Ian
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 6, 2002
            Why won't Dell pass this information along? That's pretty poor - I thought
            Dell were more helpful than that..

            At least I now know the CPU can be upgraded..

            Any ideas where I could find a pIII-M? 1.13 Ghz would be nice seeing as mine

            is an 866. I've tried Ebay to no avail :(

            Thanx,
            Andrew

            On Wednesday 06 November 2002 02:56 pm, Nebular wrote:
            > make sure the new cpu is a P4-M, naturally.
            >
            > Next unscrew the screws on the bottom of the case that are labeled with a
            >
            > Open up the laptop and lift off the keyboard, it easiest if you lift from
            > the right side first.
            >
            > Pop off the top cover under the lcd (it just pops off and snaps back in)
            >
            > Then pop open the latch for the cpu heatsink, remove the heatsink, turn
            the
            > locking screw, and switch the cpu.
            >
            > Then put everything back.
            >
            > simple
            >
            > Neb
            >
            > On November 5, 2002 08:32 pm, you wrote:
            > > I have an Inspiron 8200 with a 1.6 GHz. I would like to upgrade the
            > > processor, but Dell isn't willing to pass along data on how to do
            > > that. Has anyone here had the opportunity to do such a thing, or
            > > know where one can go about upgrading the processor?
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > >
            > > Jeff

            - --

            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 6, 2002
              On Wednesday 06 November 2002 10:27 pm, Mcleod, Ian wrote:
              > Why won't Dell pass this information along? That's pretty poor - I thought
              > Dell were more helpful than that..
              >
              > At least I now know the CPU can be upgraded..

              Main reason: They want you to buy a new laptop, not upgrade your current one.
              secondary reason?: It voids your warranty :P

              Andrew
              --

              PGP fingerprint: A00A 1E75 3AB0 610E 2300 6855 1890 C61E E590 F777
              Link to PGP key: http://linuxboy.dyndns.org/files/pubpgpkey.txt
            • Jim
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 6, 2002
                On Wednesday 06 November 2002 09:17 pm, you wrote:
                here is a link that should help.

                http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/files/DisAssemblerHTML/ExchangingParts.html

                Jim

                > On Wednesday 06 November 2002 10:27 pm, Mcleod, Ian wrote:
                > > Why won't Dell pass this information along?  That's pretty poor - I
                > > thought Dell were more helpful than that..
                > >
                > > At least I now know the CPU can be upgraded..
                >
                > Main reason:  They want you to buy a new laptop, not upgrade your current
                > one. secondary reason?:  It voids your warranty :P
                >
                > Andrew
                > --
                >
                > PGP fingerprint:  A00A 1E75 3AB0 610E 2300  6855 1890 C61E E590 F777
                > Link to PGP key:  http://linuxboy.dyndns.org/files/pubpgpkey.txt
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Philip Trickett
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
                  I'm Afraid not!

                  Might be able to do it if you got hold of a motherboard from an i8200.
                  It also has the added benefit of having the LAN and Modem built onto the
                  motherboard, and leaving the miniPCI slot free.

                  Probably be quite expensive though....

                  Phil

                  On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 10:52, Jasper Potts wrote:
                  > Any clue if a PIII based Inspiron 8100 can be upgraded to a P4M CPU?
                  >
                  > Many Thanks
                  >
                  > Jasper

                • Jasper Potts
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    --
                    http://freak-tasia.com

                    All our thoughts that's fit to write and then some

                  • Marc Baaden
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
                      Hi,

                      thanks for this extremely useful info.

                      (Up to) What processors are supported by the inspiron motherboards ?

                      2.2 GHz max ?

                      Thanks,
                      Marc Baaden

                      --
                      Dr. Marc Baaden - Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics, Oxford University
                      mailto:baaden@... - ICQ# 11466242 - http://www.marc-baaden.de
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
                        Dell does provide pretty good information on disassembling and
                        replacing parts on their website:

                        http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/plav/remove.htm#1024986

                        You just have to poke around for a while to find it...

                        Kevin

                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002

                            Hi,

                            On Thursday 07 November 2002 3:27 am, Mcleod, Ian wrote:
                            > Why won't Dell pass this information along? That's pretty poor - I thought
                            > Dell were more helpful than that..

                            No. Dell are now a completely bollocks sub-standard PC company (in the UK at
                            least). I'm typing this on an Insprion 2650 which has been trouble from the
                            start with faulty memory causing internal compiler errors in g++ (which they
                            have tried to blame on my running "Red Had" (sic) Linux). We've just started
                            legal proceedings against them on Monday to sue them...

                            I'd be very thankful if you got _anything_ useful out of them at all.

                            - --
                            Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris@..., howells@...
                            Web: http://chrishowells.co.uk, PGP key: http://chrishowells.co.uk/pgp.txt
                            KDE: http://www.koffice.org, http://edu.kde.org, http://usability.kde.org

                          • Nebular
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
                              Actually from what I understand, you can upgrade anything in your Dell and
                              your warrenty will still stand (except on the parts you upgrade), however if
                              you break it while upgrading, you're on your own

                              Neb

                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
                                On Friday 08 November 2002 12:36 am, Nebular wrote:
                                > Actually from what I understand, you can upgrade anything in your Dell and
                                > your warrenty will still stand (except on the parts you upgrade), however
                                > if you break it while upgrading, you're on your own
                                >
                                > Neb
                                Sorry, that's what I meant :)
                                Andrew

                                --

                                PGP fingerprint: A00A 1E75 3AB0 610E 2300 6855 1890 C61E E590 F777
                                Link to PGP key: http://linuxboy.dyndns.org/files/pubpgpkey.txt
                              • Sunny Dubey
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                                  On Wednesday 06 November 2002 10:12 pm, Andrew wrote:

                                  > Any ideas where I could find a pIII-M? 1.13 Ghz would be nice seeing as
                                  > mine is an 866. I've tried Ebay to no avail :(

                                  try pricewatch. random companies tend to sell OEM versions of harder to find
                                  hardware.

                                  HTH

                                  Sunny Dubey
                                • Jim Diamond
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                    On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 at 14:43 (-0000), Marc Baaden wrote:

                                    > (Up to) What processors are supported by the inspiron motherboards ?
                                    >
                                    > 2.2 GHz max ?

                                    Marc didn't specify what Inspiron he has, but I am interested in the same
                                    info. Specifically, I have an I8K; does anyone know an easy way to find
                                    out what P3-M CPUs are compatible with this mother board?

                                    Thanks.

                                    Jim

                                    --
                                    Jim Diamond (zsd@...)
                                  • Dave Inskeep
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                      Has anyone had any success turning off the infernal tap-click on the touchpad on an
                                      Inspiron 4150? I'm running Redhat 8.0 and have tried to use tpconfig - it fails with
                                      an assertion error. I'll send the debug output to the maintainer in the hopes that
                                      he can fix it, but in the meantime has anyone had any success in disabling the
                                      tap-clicking on the touchpad on a 4150?

                                      I have tried the synaptics X11 mouse driver, but that doesn't play well (i.e, at
                                      all) with VMWare, which I use daily, so that's not an option.

                                      Thanks,
                                      Dave

                                      http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
                                    • dec
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                        >Any clue if a PIII based Inspiron 8100 can be upgraded to a P4M CPU?

                                        I guess is not... they have very different architecture... like the
                                        whole RD-RAM issue... But i don't know for sure.

                                        ~dec

                                        Jasper Potts wrote:

                                        >Any clue if a PIII based Inspiron 8100 can be upgraded to a P4M CPU?
                                        >
                                        >Many Thanks
                                        >
                                        >Jasper

                                      • Thomas Andrew Schwarz
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                          Absolutely not. The architecture is quite different. But you can find
                                          many fast mobile PIII for cheap. try www.pricewatch.com or tomshardware.

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 11, 2002
                                            8100s can go up to P3-M 1.2ghz
                                            8200s I'm not sure of the upper limit, but I"m pretty sure it isn't on the
                                            market yet.

                                            Neb

                                            --
                                            http://freak-tasia.com

                                            All our thoughts that's fit to write and then some
                                          • Norbert Preining
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 11, 2002
                                              On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Nebular wrote:
                                              > 8100s can go up to P3-M 1.2ghz
                                              > 8200s I'm not sure of the upper limit, but I"m pretty sure it isn't on the

                                              And Inspiron 8000 ? Can I also upgrade mem/CPU there? Up to where?

                                              Best wishes

                                              Norbert

                                              Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Technische Universität Wien
                                              SCETHROG (n.)

                                              One of those peculiar beards-without-moustaches worn by religious
                                              Belgians and American scientists which help them look like trolls.

                                              --- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff
                                            • Nils-Anders Duesund Nøttseter
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 11, 2002

                                                Maximum CPU for the Inspiron 8000 is 1GHz. I am currently considering
                                                upgrading my 8000, not quite sure where to buy the correct CPU
                                                (cheapest) though.

                                                Nils-Anders
                                              • Jim Richardson
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 12, 2002
                                                  On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 11:42:47PM +0100, Nils-Anders Duesund N?ttseter wrote:

> [...]

                                                  Are they socketed chips? if not (and I doubt they are) then good luck
                                                  swapping one out. ISTR they are BGA devices.

                                                  You know you've landed gear-up when it takes full power to taxi.

                                                  Lintel, because you can't rely on windows to support heavy loads.
                                                • Andrew
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 12, 2002
                                                    On Tuesday 12 November 2002 11:14 am, Jim Richardson wrote:
                                                    > On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 11:42:47PM +0100, Nils-Anders Duesund N?ttseter

                                                    Not sure about the 8000 but the 8100 is very nicely socketed :) just a twist
                                                    of the screw and it pops right out

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Nov 13, 2002

                                                      All the Inspiron 8k+ laptops are nicely modular. You can modify them
                                                      almost as much as a regular desktop system. Personally, I've switched
                                                      fixed optical drive, hard drive, memory and video card. The remaining
                                                      original parts are cpu, mainboard and off course the keyboard, lcd and
                                                      casing. All of these parts are as easily changed as the rest.

                                                      Nils-Anders
                                                    • Jasper Potts
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Nov 13, 2002
                                                        Has anyone upgraded or looked into upgrading the motherboard of an
                                                        Inspiron 8100 to a 8200? I don't know if it would be possible to buy one
                                                        from dell but would be worth a try if it is possible.

                                                        Thanks

                                                        jasper
                                                      • Jason Armstrong
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Nov 13, 2002
                                                          [ Nils-Anders Duesund Nøttseter: Nov 13 09:17 ]

                                                          >All the Inspiron 8k+ laptops are nicely modular. You can modify them
                                                          >almost as much as a regular desktop system.

                                                          Has anyone replaced the soundcard on an i8200? In particular, it would
                                                          be nice to know of any experiences using a midi compatible card. Any
                                                          recommendations on what would be the best option for doing some serious
                                                          music using Linux tools, both hardware and software wise?

                                                          I have the i810 sound card that came with the laptop working using
                                                          ALSA, but I've also read that others aren't too happy with it's
                                                          performance. How about music software programs? I've installed quite a
                                                          few packages, but lack of midi is constraining most of them. I am
                                                          using Debian.

                                                          Best

                                                          --
                                                          Jason Armstrong
                                                        • Andrew
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Nov 13, 2002
                                                            On Wednesday 13 November 2002 07:27 am, Jason Armstrong wrote:
                                                            > [ Nils-Anders Duesund Nøttseter: Nov 13 09:17 ]
                                                            >
                                                            > >All the Inspiron 8k+ laptops are nicely modular. You can modify them
                                                            > >
                                                            > >almost as much as a regular desktop system.
                                                            >
                                                            > Has anyone replaced the soundcard on an i8200? In particular, it would
                                                            > be nice to know of any experiences using a midi compatible card. Any
                                                            > recommendations on what would be the best option for doing some serious
                                                            > music using Linux tools, both hardware and software wise?
                                                            >
                                                            > I have the i810 sound card that came with the laptop working using
                                                            > ALSA, but I've also read that others aren't too happy with it's
                                                            > performance. How about music software programs? I've installed quite a
                                                            > few packages, but lack of midi is constraining most of them. I am
                                                            > using Debian.
                                                            >
                                                            > Best

                                                            as far as I can tell from opening up my laptop (which I have done on many
                                                            occasions, and can currently do in sub-10 mins (think: totally apart))
                                                            the soundcard is on the motherboard :( which means the answer is no, you
                                                            can't upgrade it
                                                            Andrew
                                                            I'd love it if I were wrong tho

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Nov 13, 2002
                                                              Well it's more then just the motherboard, the ram would also have to be
                                                              changed, the cpu obviously, reconnecting the ethernet ports on the left side
                                                              of the case, and connecting those particular ports to the motherboard if they
                                                              are compatible as they are (so you don't have to strip and reconnect)

                                                              It would be possible, but it would be a hassle. I'd just max out the 8100 and
                                                              then start saving for the next laptop purchase.

                                                              Neb