Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Battery status meter + other problems on REDHAT 8.0 and i8200

  • Stephen Lau
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
      On Sunday 03 November 2002 08:00, Gene Kucher wrote:
      > 1. I could not figure out how to setup a battery meter on my desktop
      > (right next to the clock). I am sure it's probably easier than I
      > think and all of you already have it...

      Both GNOME and KDE should have battery meters. What desktop are you using
      specifically?

      > 3. How do I build RPMs from tarball.tar.gz files? "$ rpm -ta" doesn't
      > work.

      It won't unless that tarball has a .spec file in there.

      > 4. I could not compile XINE-lib and XINE-ui. Does it matter that I
      > was compiling it from my home directory? Any special notes for that?
      > Does anyone have XINE RPMs or binaries for RedHat 8???

      www.freshrpms.net has both.

      cheers,
      steve
      --
      stephen lau :: [ldl@...] :: gpg key id: 0x09E5CD21
      http://www.whacked.net/oss/ldl
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Stephen Lau <ldl@g...> wrote:
        > On Sunday 03 November 2002 08:00, Gene Kucher wrote:
        > > 1. I could not figure out how to setup a battery meter on my
        desktop
        > > (right next to the clock). I am sure it's probably easier than I
        > > think and all of you already have it...
        >
        > Both GNOME and KDE should have battery meters. What desktop are
        you using
        > specifically?
        >
        > > 3. How do I build RPMs from tarball.tar.gz files? "$ rpm -ta"
        doesn't
        > > work.
        >
        > It won't unless that tarball has a .spec file in there.
        >
        > > 4. I could not compile XINE-lib and XINE-ui. Does it matter that I
        > > was compiling it from my home directory? Any special notes for
        that?
        > > Does anyone have XINE RPMs or binaries for RedHat 8???
        >
        > www.freshrpms.net has both.
        >
        > cheers,
        > steve
        > --

        Thanks, Steve.

        I am using GNOME, and I would like to know how to get battery meters
        in both Gnome and KDE.

        Gene
      • Stephen Lau
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
          On Monday 04 November 2002 10:39, Gene Kucher wrote:
          > Thanks, Steve.
          >
          > I am using GNOME, and I would like to know how to get battery meters
          > in both Gnome and KDE.
          >
          > Gene

          Hi Gene,
          I'm not sure under GNOME, but I believe there is a power applet somewhere in
          the panel menu. Under KDE, go to the Control Centre, then go to the Power
          Control->Battery Monitor page and make sure the checkbox that says "Show
          Battery Monitor" is checked. If you can't find the GNOME one lemme know and
          I'll find a GNOME box to verify it on. What version GNOME are you running?
          1.4? or 2.0?

          cheers,
          steve