X setup problems on I8000 with Rh 8.0 installation

  • Prasad V. S. Alavilli
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2002

      I just installed RH 8.0 on my I8000 and returned to the now
      age old problem of the X setup failing (I think this happened
      with every version of RH since 6.0!). Anyway, previously one
      would run XConfig (or something close to that) and tune the monitor
      setting etc.. Now in RH 8.0, XConfig or such commands seem to have
      disappered. Does some one know how I should now go about setting
      up my X display. Thanks for any input.

      Prasad
    • Ha Nguyen
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2002
        I have the problem with X screen on I8200 (Ge Force 2)
        after running RH8.0 for 2 or 3 times although I was
        successful in installing the nvidia driver and loading
        X Windows.
        I tried to build the kernel again but it still could
        not load the X screen. It said something related to
        XFree86 and "no screen".
        I dont know why and what to do. Please help me.

        Ha.

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
      • jbrouse@cox.net

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2002
            Could you give me some more detail how to do a
            "modprobe NVdriver" ? I am a newbie to Linux.
            Thanks a lot.

            Ha.

            --- jbrouse@... wrote:
            > Typically that error means you do not have NVdriver
            > loaded do a lsmod to see it it running. Try to do a
            > "modprobe NVdriver" and then startx if that works
            > then it means that your NVdriver was not loaded.
            >

            > Jim
            > >
            > > From: Ha Nguyen <babytruc@...>
            > > Date: 2002/11/03 Sun AM 03:11:27 EST
            > > To: linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com
            > > Subject: [linux-dell-laptops] X problems on I8200
            > with Rh 8.0 after running 2-3 times

            <HR>

            <tt>
            I have the problem with X screen on I8200 (Ge Force
            2)<BR>
            after running RH8.0 for 2 or 3 times although I
            was<BR>
            successful in installing the nvidia driver and
            X Windows. <BR>
            I tried to build the kernel again but it still
            could<BR>
            not load the X screen. It said something related
            to<BR>
            XFree86 and "no screen".<BR>
            I dont know why and what to do. Please help me.<BR>
            <BR>
            Ha.<BR>
            <BR>
            Y! Web Hosting - Let the expert host your web site<BR>
            <a
            href="http://webhosting.yahoo.com/">http://webhosting.yahoo.com/</a><BR>
            </tt>

            <tt>
            FAQ: <a
            href="http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq">http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq</a></tt>

            <tt>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
            href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms
            of Service</a>.</tt>

            http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
          • Samuel Monsarrat
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2002
              OK, there are a few things here.
              First I am not yet running linux on a 8200 but will soon, I have one for
              work and am using w2kpro I love the laptop and will be getting one.

              I have been running RH7.3 and 8 on my home system that has a Geforce4
              and here are my general findings:
              - I have always found that using the tarballs for installing the nvidia
              drivers works best and has never let me down, don't screw around with
              getting the right rpms.
              - _EVERY_ time I have done a Kernel update (using up2date) I have had to
              reinstall the kernel and GDI drivers so I always keep the original
              tarballs around somewhere. This is a bit messy but has worked every time
              for me. I still don't exactly understand why this is but (sigh) c'est
              comme ca!
              - In RH8 quite a few changes have been made to config scripts, I enclose
              a large snip from an excellent mail by Mike Harris on the RH8 list
              psyche-list@... (great list but serious amount of traffic):

              Mike Harris :

              There are several tools for configuring XFree86 that exist inside
              XFree86, and externally from XFree86, some of which are rather
              obsolete, and some of which are no longer shipped for one reason
              or another in Red Hat Linux. Since a lot of these configuration
              utilities have similar names, people very very often get them
              mixed up, or spell them incorrectly.

              xf86config - ancient original commandline based question and
              answer config tool that has been part of XFree86 for
              ages. This is entirely text commandline based and
              sucks majorly. It is included in RHL 8.0 still more
              or less because it got missed by my axe. Most
              likely this will die painfully next release. The
              cavemen still using this can feel free to complain
              to /dev/null when this happens. <grin>

              XF86Setup - First GUI based config tool included with XFree86
              itself. It is TCL/TK based, 16 color vga,
              horrendously ugly, non-intuitive UI, unmaintained,
              and obsolete. It is included still in XFree86
              source code, but it is disabled and most likely
              contains many bugs. Hasn't been in RHL for quite a
              while.

              xf86cfg - New GUI/TUI config tool that first appeared in
              XFree86 4.0. It supports a GUI mode implemented
              in using Xt/Xaw/whatever (shudder), and also has a
              text mode which is ncurses based (which most people
              are unaware of also). While the GUI is an
              improvement over the other older caveman tools
              above, it is only marginally better IMHO. This was
              in RHL up until 7.3, but was removed from RHL 8.0
              intentionally, and will not be returning. I made
              this a spec file conditional build time thing to
              satiate any complainers. <grin>

              Xconfigurator - The text mode Red Hat XFree86 config tool which
              has been the default X config tool for ages,
              but is now obsolete and removed from the distro
              in 8.0. Xconfigurator originally was
              basically a newt based front end glued on top of
              xf86config which was kludged and abused more and
              more over time into the unmaintainable mess that
              it is today. A new config tool was needed which
              is more modern, user friendly, etc. and
              continuing to kludge things into Xconfigurator
              simply wasn't scalable or maintainable, so it was
              dropped for 8.0, and redhat-config-xfree86 was
              born in its place. It won't return.

              X -configure - The X server itself can generate a config file
              in a pinch which can be used as is in many cases,
              or can be tweaked by hand if necessary.

              redhat-config-xfree86 - The current supported XFree86 config tool
              in Red Hat Linux 8.0 and future releases.
              It is python+gtk based, and is the only
              officially supported X config tool.

              This tool will be enhanced over time to try and provide the most
              useful configuration tasks that end users really need to have.
              The goal of the tool is to be end-user friendly, and to minimize
              the amount of configuration required. As many things that can be
              sensibly autoconfigured generally will be. Complex config items
              will likely not be supported in the tool, or will only be
              available with some -advanced option or somesuch - if anything.
              A lot of the things that have traditionally _needed_ to be
              configured before, are starting to gain autodetection support in
              the X server. As more and more things go towards autodetection,
              etc. - the need to explicitly configure them in the config file
              becomes less and less of a need. The tools become simplified,
              the users don't run away in fear, and life is good.

            • Jim
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 4, 2002
                On Sunday 03 November 2002 09:55 am, you wrote:
                go to a bash shell or a teminal window if you are not root log on as root or
                do a "su" then it should ask for root password. Once in a terminal window
                and logged on as root then "modprobe NVdriver" and then press enter.

                Hope that helps.

                Jim

              • Samuel Monsarrat
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 4, 2002
                  Well su -l in fact, otherwise the shell will not find modeprobe.