NTFS support Redhat 7.1 Inspiron 8200

  • straw_man17
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2002
      Recently set up Linux on an Inspiron 8200 to dual boot with XP Pro
      using V-Com SystemCommander v7. I struggled through some video and X-
      Windows issues initially but got them all resolved. Linux runs and
      the screen looks GREAT with the NVIDIA driver at 1600x1200.

      What I'm trying to do now is mount my NTFS partition in Linux. It
      seems that NTFS support is not built into the kernel by default so I
      am attempting to complie a kernel with NTFS support.

      I am a SysAdmin at a mid-sized company and consider myself fairly
      computer literate although I am admittedly new to Linux, but I have
      been absolutely unsuccessful at building a custom kernel that will
      boot on this machine despite all the books, FAQs and HowTos. The
      kernel from the installation works just fine, but any kernel that I
      compile freezes every time.

      Since the original kernel from the install works, is there any way
      that I can determine what configuration options that was built with
      so that I can attempt to build a duplicate and see if that works. If
      it did, then I could track specific changes I make and determine
      which ones are causing boot problems.

      Failing that, can anyone give some guidance in selecting appropriate
      options for an Inspiron 8200?

      Thanks

      Brian Miller
      SysAdmin
      Spec-Temp, Inc.
    • jbrouse@cox.net

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2002
          If you got the sources installed from an RPM package by RH, then there
          should be a subdirectory 'configs' in /usr/src/linux-2.4/ containing
          configurations set by RH for the make xconfig (menuconfig etc) process.

          Check in there for the RH default configurations and load them when
          you try to do a 'make xconfig' to pick them defaults (there is a
          button in the xinterface for that process prompting the usage of a
          config file). There are defaults for various alternatives (i386,
          athlon, i686 and smp). You ought to use the i686 one.

          I think the NTFS support is in File Systems, you ought to be able to
          check that one to be a module, starting from the default configuration.

          I hope this helps

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "straw_man17" <bmiller@s...> wrote:
          > Recently set up Linux on an Inspiron 8200 to dual boot with XP Pro
          > using V-Com SystemCommander v7. I struggled through some video and X-
          > Windows issues initially but got them all resolved. Linux runs and
          > the screen looks GREAT with the NVIDIA driver at 1600x1200.
          >
          > What I'm trying to do now is mount my NTFS partition in Linux. It
          > seems that NTFS support is not built into the kernel by default so I
          > am attempting to complie a kernel with NTFS support.
          >
          > I am a SysAdmin at a mid-sized company and consider myself fairly
          > computer literate although I am admittedly new to Linux, but I have
          > been absolutely unsuccessful at building a custom kernel that will
          > boot on this machine despite all the books, FAQs and HowTos. The
          > kernel from the installation works just fine, but any kernel that I
          > compile freezes every time.
          >
          > Since the original kernel from the install works, is there any way
          > that I can determine what configuration options that was built with
          > so that I can attempt to build a duplicate and see if that works. If
          > it did, then I could track specific changes I make and determine
          > which ones are causing boot problems.
          >
          > Failing that, can anyone give some guidance in selecting appropriate
          > options for an Inspiron 8200?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Brian Miller
          > SysAdmin
          > Spec-Temp, Inc.
        • Thomas Applegate
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2002
            Hmm, when that happened with me...(Took me close to 20 tries to get it
            to work) I realized that I had to run lilo after I made the .bzimage and
            remember to move the file as a bzimage and not as a vmlinuz bzimage is
            for larger kernels. Also, you will want to keep your old kernel to boot
            from incase you mess up. What you do first is put the bzimage into the
            boot directory then make sure the lines in lilo.conf are set up then run
            /sbin/lilo and you should be able to boot. I do not remember the exact
            settings for my dell but I do know that I can quickly compile my kernel
            now. I just look at the options and see what I want, need, and don't
            need. Just remember compiling kernels are fun. Look at it like a game
            and not as a project you'll be able to compile it faster. Oh and use
            your gut and trust your sixth instinct you'll get it no problem. LOL

            Sincerely,

            Thomas Applegate
            President TerroristsClan.org