Finally, a solution:Inspiron 8200 wireless with orinoco_ plx

  • Samuel Halperin
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2002
      Well, I solved the wirreless issue.

      To review, the new Dell's ship with the TrueMobile 1180 miniPCI
      card. This is made by broadcomm, or at least the main chip on
      the card is. (How I know this will become clear in a second.)
      This card is not compatible with any drivers to date.

      The old dell's shipped with the TrueMobile 1150 miniPCI card, which
      actually is implemented as a PCMCI bridge, so this device shows up
      as a third CardBus device. This 1150 is compatible with the wvlan_cs
      kernel module, and may be compatible with other modules. The main chip
      on the card is made by Agere.

      So finally, the solution, though an inelegant and slightly expensive
      one: I called Dell and spoke with a customer service rep. The old
      1150 cards are still available and you can order them online if you
      poke around enough on the webpage. The 1150 is the same form factor
      as the 1180 and plugs right in. It shows up automatically under RH8.0
      redhat-config-network. Currentyl I am using the wvlan_cs driver.
      Seems to work fine. I am still waiting to here if the 1180 card that
      the dell shipped with is returnable.

      Sam

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Mcleod, Ian" <ian.mcleod@e...> wrote:
      > But if my card shows up as PRISM2 I should be alright, right? I
      have used
      > the packet sniffer and other goodies okay so the card does seem to
      work..

      > Sounds like I was luck - whereas other Dell customer were not so
      lucky and
      > got lumped with a 'dud' card?

    • :)
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
        you wouldn't have a part number would you?:)

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Samuel Halperin" <samhalperin@a...>

        Service.
      • Samuel Halperin
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
          DELL
          TrueMobile 1150 Mini-PCI Wireless Network Card for Dell Latitude
          Notebooks
          Network Card, Wireless, Mini-PCI, IEEE 802.11, Max data transfer rate
          up to 11 Mbps

          $99.00

          Manufacturer Part# 11VMD Dell Part# 430-3572

          Even though its for Lats, it still works in my Insp8200.

          Sam