Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Getting Mozilla plugins to work - anyone done it?

  • Dave Patton
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 30, 2002
      Strange. Everything you said sounds correct to me. I have bounced
      around on a few versions of Mozilla but found that not until version
      1.0.1, did things really start working correctly. There are two
      possibilities here to try:

      1> If you have had another Mozilla or Netscape install on your machine
      you will probably have more than one plugins folder on your machine
      also. Make sure that the Acrobat plugin is in the correct plugins
      folder, or atleast that Mozilla is pointing to the correct place.

      2> Re-install Mozilla.

      By the way does Mozilla throw any error messages back to you? Try
      running it from the command line and seeing if there are any error
      messages.

      Dave Patton

      On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 05:37, oilpatchdog wrote:
      > Dave,
      >
      > I have everything working but Acrobat Reader. I followed the
      > directions on the pluginsdoc page at mozilla.org: (1) install
      > Acrobat, (2) copy nppdf.so to /usr/local/mozilla/plugins, (3) make
      > sure acroread is in my path. But, Acrobat doesn't load from a web
      > page click. Downloading a pdf and opening it with Acrobat works fine.
      >
      > Maybe there is some sort of path or permission problem.
      >
      > I also set up Acrobat in the "Helpers" section of preferences, but
      > with or without this setting for application/pdf, it doesn't work.
      >
      > JT
      >
      > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Dave Patton <dave@m...> wrote:
      > > I have Mozilla and all the plugins working just fine. I just
      > pointed to
      > > the directory with all my Mozilla plugins, and voila. The plugins I
      > have
      > > working are:
      > > Java
      > > Flash
      > > Acrobat
      > > default
      > > shockwave
      > > plugger
      > > RealPlayer
      > >
      > > As far as I can tell they work fine. I think I missed the orginal
      > > posting, but if you can be more specific I might be able to help
      > you.
      > >
      > > Dave Patton
      > >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

    • oilpatchdog
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 30, 2002
        Dave,

        You have my thanks. I followed your suggestion and started Mozilla in
        a terminal. The error was "cannot exec acroread..." I found this was
        a path problem; there is an "acroread" in both
        /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin, and in /usr/local/Acrobat/...other
        dirs.../bin. The former works; the latter, which I had set, does not.

        I also deleted the installs from vers 0.9.9 just in case.

        JT

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Dave Patton <dave@m...> wrote:
        > Strange. Everything you said sounds correct to me. I have bounced
        > around on a few versions of Mozilla but found that not until version
        > 1.0.1, did things really start working correctly. There are two
        > possibilities here to try:
        >
        > 1> If you have had another Mozilla or Netscape install on your machine
        > you will probably have more than one plugins folder on your machine
        > also. Make sure that the Acrobat plugin is in the correct plugins
        > folder, or atleast that Mozilla is pointing to the correct place.
        >
        > 2> Re-install Mozilla.
        >
        > By the way does Mozilla throw any error messages back to you? Try
        > running it from the command line and seeing if there are any error
        > messages.
        >
        > Dave Patton

      • Dave Patton
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 31, 2002
          Another satified customer :-) Glad I could help.

          On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 19:04, oilpatchdog wrote:
          > Dave,
          >
          > You have my thanks. I followed your suggestion and started Mozilla in
          > a terminal. The error was "cannot exec acroread..." I found this was
          > a path problem; there is an "acroread" in both
          > /usr/local/Acrobat5/bin, and in /usr/local/Acrobat/...other
          > dirs.../bin. The former works; the latter, which I had set, does not.
          >
          > I also deleted the installs from vers 0.9.9 just in case.
          >
          > JT
          >

          > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Dave Patton <dave@m...> wrote:
          > > Strange. Everything you said sounds correct to me. I have bounced
          > > around on a few versions of Mozilla but found that not until version
          > > 1.0.1, did things really start working correctly. There are two
          > > possibilities here to try:
          > >
          > > 1> If you have had another Mozilla or Netscape install on your
          > machine
          > > you will probably have more than one plugins folder on your machine
          > > also. Make sure that the Acrobat plugin is in the correct plugins
          > > folder, or atleast that Mozilla is pointing to the correct place.
          > >
          > > 2> Re-install Mozilla.
          > >
          > > By the way does Mozilla throw any error messages back to you? Try
          > > running it from the command line and seeing if there are any error
          > > messages.
          > >
          > > Dave Patton
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          David H. Patton