Suspend to Disk does not work with 1GB of RAM

  • limsweet
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2002
      Hi folks,
      I have the Dell Inspiron 4100, with 1GB of RAM that I got cheap.

      The long and short of this is that I've been trying all kinds of
      ways to get my machine to at least do Suspend to Disk. I've tried
      using phdisk, mks2d from:
      a. S2D-A08A.exe
      b. RH7S2d.exe
      c. Z5788807.exe
      d. Phdisk.exe

      With the 1GB worth of RAM in the laptop, I've done all the
      abovementioned boot disks with suspend. The mks2d I use are version
      3.7.2. The program tells me that there are xxx bad blocks when there
      really aren't any on the disk.

      Then I hit upon the idea of doing this suspend to disk with less RAM,
      and try it again. So I pulled out 1 of the 512M chips and tried to
      create a 1100MB s2d partition. Then I tried to reboot, and tried
      pressing Fn-A. That gave me "Saving System Memory" screen which then
      carried on to this discolored LCD screen. Hmmm...

      So I thought that there may be too much space on the S2D partition or
      something, so I popped the other 512M into the machine to make it 1GB
      worth of RAM again, and tried booting up. And then I did Fn-A again.
      That's when the machine told me that it's only able to support only
      768MB worth of Suspend to Disk space.

      How the heck was that?? The READMEs did not say anything about suspend
      to disk not working if you have anything above 768MB worth of memory.
      Well, that's just me ranting. I hope Dell will just try to fix this
      once and for all. Sheesh.

      Ciao
      ST Lim
    • Feight