RE: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Inspiron 8200 wireless with orinoco_ plx

  • Mcleod, Ian
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 28, 2002
      THIS is what I am STILL trying to sort out - wlan_cs is the 'old' driver
      apparantly - we need wlan-ng as the new PRISM2 based kernel driver. See how
      you go..

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 28, 2002
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Mcleod, Ian" <ian.mcleod@e...> wrote:
        > THIS is what I am STILL trying to sort out - wlan_cs is the
        > 'old' driver apparantly - we need wlan-ng as the new PRISM2
        > based kernel driver. See how you go..

        Ho hum.... okay... one more time...

        I've compiled the latest wlan-ng drivers on my Inspiron 4150 using
        kernel 2.4.18 and I couldn't get them to work at all.

        Searching Google Groups for "Broadcom 4301 Prism" (no quotes in the
        actual search string) brings up an article (dated 6 days ago) from
        someone trying to use a Linksys card with the 4301 in it and a reply
        from someone else stating that there is no support in wlan-ng for it.
        I draw your attention to two things:
        1 - The first guy's lspci output showing the Broadcom 4301, and
        2 - The second guy's not-too-vague phrases like "not supported by
        wlan-ng" and "no Linux support at all".

        > > I'm having trouble getting my Linksys WMP11 wireless network
        > > card to work under SuSE Linux 8.0. This is a native PCI card,
        > > not a PCMCIA adapter.
        > > # /sbin/lspci
        > > <some stuff here>
        > > 00:0e.0 Network controller: BROADCOM Corporation:
        > > Unknown device 4301 (rev 01)
        > It turns out that Linksys changed chipsets without telling
        > anybody. The WMP11 now contains a chipset made by Broadcom,
        > so it is not supported by wlan-ng, which is a driver for
        > Prism chipsets. Apparently, there is no Linux support at all
        > for recent-model Linksys WMP11 cards.

        - Joe
      • Mcleod, Ian
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 28, 2002
          I'm not sure this is true?  The wlan-ng drivers are specifically FOR PRISM2 chipsets - as far as I understood anyway.

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Mcleod, Ian" <ian.mcleod@e...> wrote:
          > THIS is what I am STILL trying to sort out - wlan_cs is the
          > 'old' driver apparantly - we need wlan-ng as the new PRISM2
          > based kernel driver.  See how you go..

          Ho hum.... okay... one more time...

          I've compiled the latest wlan-ng drivers on my Inspiron 4150 using
          kernel 2.4.18 and I couldn't get them to work at all.

          Searching Google Groups for "Broadcom 4301 Prism" (no quotes in the
          actual search string) brings up an article (dated 6 days ago) from
          someone trying to use a Linksys card with the 4301 in it and a reply
          from someone else stating that there is no support in wlan-ng for it.
          I draw your attention to two things:
          1 - The first guy's lspci output showing the Broadcom 4301, and
          2 - The second guy's not-too-vague phrases like "not supported by
          wlan-ng" and "no Linux support at all".

          > > I'm having trouble getting my Linksys WMP11 wireless network
          > > card to work under SuSE Linux 8.0.  This is a native PCI card,
          > > not a PCMCIA adapter.
          > >  # /sbin/lspci
          > >  <some stuff here>
          > >  00:0e.0 Network controller: BROADCOM Corporation:
          > >          Unknown device 4301 (rev 01)
          > It turns out that Linksys changed chipsets without telling
          > anybody.  The WMP11 now contains a chipset made by Broadcom,
          > so it is not supported by wlan-ng, which is a driver for
          > Prism chipsets.  Apparently, there is no Linux support at all
          > for recent-model Linksys WMP11 cards.

          - Joe

        • Samuel Halperin
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 29, 2002
            I maintain my origional position, that the orinoco_plx
            driver has the beginnings of support for PCI orinoco compatible
            wifi cards.

            I just cant figure out how to install the blasted thing.

            Sam
          • jemenake
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 29, 2002
              --- "Samuel Halperin" <samhalperin@a...> wrote:
              > I maintain my origional position, that the orinoco_plx
              > driver has the beginnings of support for PCI orinoco compatible
              > wifi cards.

              The problem is that the Broadcom isn't orinoco compatible. Here's a
              direct quote from an email from David Gibson (the guy who
              writes/maintains the orinoco_* drivers):

              # That log, along with the Broadcom website you mentioned before
              # does seem to suggest that this is not compatible with the Prism
              # chipset, and hence not supported. Bad luck :-(
              #
              # I have enough trouble keeping up with the Intersil chipset and
              # its various firmwares, so you'll have to find someone else to
              # write a driver for the Broadcom device (someone who has the
              # hardware would be a good start).

              - Joe
            • Mcleod, Ian
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 29, 2002
                But if my card shows up as PRISM2 I should be alright, right? I have used
                the packet sniffer and other goodies okay so the card does seem to work..

                Sounds like I was luck - whereas other Dell customer were not so lucky and
                got lumped with a 'dud' card?
                > I maintain my origional position, that the orinoco_plx
                > driver has the beginnings of support for PCI orinoco compatible
                > wifi cards.

                The problem is that the Broadcom isn't orinoco compatible. Here's a
                direct quote from an email from David Gibson (the guy who
                writes/maintains the orinoco_* drivers):

                # That log, along with the Broadcom website you mentioned before
                # does seem to suggest that this is not compatible with the Prism
                # chipset, and hence not supported. Bad luck :-(
                #
                # I have enough trouble keeping up with the Intersil chipset and
                # its various firmwares, so you'll have to find someone else to
                # write a driver for the Broadcom device (someone who has the
                # hardware would be a good start).

                - Joe

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Samuel Halperin
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 31, 2002
                  Well, I solved the wirreless issue.

                  To review, the new Dell's ship with the TrueMobile 1180 miniPCI
                  card. This is made by broadcomm, or at least the main chip on
                  the card is. (How I know this will become clear in a second.)
                  This card is not compatible with any drivers to date.

                  The old dell's shipped with the TrueMobile 1150 miniPCI card, which
                  actually is implemented as a PCMCI bridge, so this device shows up
                  as a third CardBus device. This 1150 is compatible with the wvlan_cs
                  kernel module, and may be compatible with other modules. The main chip
                  on the card is made by Agere.

                  So finally, the solution, though an inelegant and slightly expensive
                  one: I called Dell and spoke with a customer service rep. The old
                  1150 cards are still available and you can order them online if you
                  poke around enough on the webpage. The 1150 is the same form factor
                  as the 1180 and plugs right in. It shows up automatically under RH8.0
                  redhat-config-network. Currentyl I am using the wvlan_cs driver.
                  Seems to work fine. I am still waiting to here if the 1180 card that
                  the dell shipped with is returnable.

                  Sam

                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Mcleod, Ian" <ian.mcleod@e...> wrote:
                  > But if my card shows up as PRISM2 I should be alright, right? I
                  have used
                  > the packet sniffer and other goodies okay so the card does seem to
                  work..

                  > Sounds like I was luck - whereas other Dell customer were not so
                  lucky and
                  > got lumped with a 'dud' card?

                • :)
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
                    you wouldn't have a part number would you?:)

                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Samuel Halperin" <samhalperin@a...>

                    Service.
                  • Samuel Halperin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 1, 2002
                      DELL
                      TrueMobile 1150 Mini-PCI Wireless Network Card for Dell Latitude
                      Notebooks
                      Network Card, Wireless, Mini-PCI, IEEE 802.11, Max data transfer rate
                      up to 11 Mbps

                      $99.00

                      Manufacturer Part# 11VMD Dell Part# 430-3572

                      Even though its for Lats, it still works in my Insp8200.

                      Sam