Re: [linux-dell-laptops] 5000e owners can help Alan Cox

  • Brett Viren
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2000
      Richard Simpson writes:

      > It occurs to me that it is possible (but unlikely) that there may
      > be members of this list who do not slavishly follow the minutiae of
      > development kernel changes.

      Indeed. Thanks for the tip. I just installed test11-ac2 and added a
      few notes at:

      http://minos.phy.bnl.gov/~bviren/inspiron/#extras

      (second item)

      The short of it is that the Linux will boot on the 5000e with APM
      enabled w/out crashing and I can `cat /proc/apm' with out any ill
      effects. (Thus, I removed Alan's email address from the CC line).

      However, I wouldn't recommend others moving to this kernel version
      unless they intend to work on the APM code. Currently the only two
      APM features I use don't work (power off on shutdown and battery
      reporting) and the Fn-Esc which normally suspends the machine happily,
      results in a hang upon wakeup.

      If others have had better luck, speak up!

      -Brett.