RE: [linux-dell-laptops] SuSE 7.1 on Dell Inspiron 8200 and Suspe n Problems with Framebuffer...

  • Mcleod, Ian
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002
      Mandrake works fine
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Bill Sheehan [mailto:sheehan@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2002 1:52 AM
      To: linux-dell-laptops@...
      Subject: Re: [linux-dell-laptops] SuSE 7.1 on Dell Inspiron 8200 and Suspen Problems with Framebuffer...

      On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Vinay wrote:

      > Hi,
      > SuSE 7.1 on Dell Inspiron 8200
      > ------------------------------
      > I am running SuSE with the following lilo arguments...
      > vga=792    [color depth=16.7 Mil and resolution in pixel=1024x768]

      Good God, man, you've got a brand new computer. Use a current release of
      SuSE.  SuSE 8.1 will be out on October 7.

      XFree86 4.2 and the nVIDIA drivers easily support your lovely Dell screen
      without resorting to frame-buffer tricks.  I've got the 1400x1250 screen
      myself, and will happily share my XF86Config file (heck, I just swiped
      somebody else's and filed off the serial numbers myself).

      I haven't seen SuSE 8.1 yet, but I can tell you that I had some
      difficulties with SuSE 8.0 that I eventually worked through.  RedHat 8.0
      is a breeze.  Gentoo 1.4rc1 is fine except for an OpenOffice 1.0.1 issue,
      but I'm hopeful that'll be fixed soon.

      Use an OS that has a chance of recognizing your components!

      -- Bill

      FAQ: http://www.whacked.net/ldl/faq