Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Is 1600x1200 on 14" display ok?

  • Peter Hayes
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
      On Tuesday 01 October 2002 11:03, vitaliano02 wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I found a nice offer for a Dell i4150 with a 14" UXGA display
      > (1600x1200 resolution).
      > I would like to install RedHat on it and I am afraid that with such a
      > resolution text will be unreadable (at least with default X
      > settings).
      > I went through previous posted messages on related subjects but I am a
      > bit confused.
      > It is enough to increase DPI and/or change the font size? What about
      > the icons? I have been told that now RH allows to use small/large
      > font/icons like in Windows but I haven't found this option up to
      > version 7.2 at least.

      I have a 15" 1600x1200 Ultrasharp display and it is excellent, but I'm not
      sure if I'd like that resolution on a 14" display, especially if it isn't
      Ultrasharp.

      Most apps, Knode / Kmail / etc have options to alter the font size.

      > Alternatively, does the screen looks ok with a "forced" lower
      > resolution? I have been told it does but that is opposite to my past
      > experience with LCD terminals.

      A forced lower resolution is not likely to look good. 800x600 on a 1600x1200
      would probably be ok since there's 2 LCDs per pixel as it were, but what a
      waste :) Otherwise, it's not a great idea.

      > Any helps (solutions and problems found) would be very welcome.
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > Vitaliano
      >
      > PS: by the way, a lower resolution display, like 1400x1050 would cost
      > me more (strange but true for such a Dell offer)..

      If the price is right I'd buy it and worry about the fonts later. YMMV