Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Changing resolution on X-display using keyboard -- more

  • lorentey+linux-dell-laptop@elte.hu
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2002
      oilpatchdog@... <oilpatchdog@...> writes:
      > Well, the sequences Fn P and Fn ; give numeric + and - all right, but
      > have no effect on the screen resolution.
      >
      > That is Ctrl-Alt-Fn P has no effect (other than twisting your fingers).
      >
      > Has anyone gotten this working? It would be handy to change screen
      > resolutions on the fly. One application is supporting LCD projectors
      > that may want 800x600 for example.

      Try my XF86Config-4. (Works with NVidia GeForce 4 32Mb with UXGA LCD
      under XFree86 4.2.1. on Debian GNU/Linux sid.)

      http://caesar.elte.hu/~lorentey/XF86Config-4.inspiron.8200

      Using this configuration, the X server uses an LCD-only server layout
      by default (with resolutions 1600x1200, 1280x1024, 1280x960, 1152x864,
      1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480). I defined several alternative
      layouts for various external display modes. If you want to use
      these, you must add a -layout option when you start up your X server,
      e.g.:

      startx -- -layout TV

      Starting the X server with the "-layout CRT" option sets up X for
      external VGA display output. The frequency rates of the external
      monitor/projector are autodetected by the server. X switches to
      LCD-only mode by default. Pressing Ctl-Fn-Alt-; enables the external
      display using the highest resolution that it supports. Pressing
      Ctl-Fn-Alt-; repeatedly switches to lower resolutions. Note that
      changing the video mode does not change the size of the desktop.
      Nevertheless, most full-screen applications detect and use the
      geometry of the actual display (not the geometry of the desktop), so
      presentations etc. will come out nicely.

      I can enable the TV output by adding "-layout TV" to the X server
      command line. (I live in Hungary, you will certainly need to change
      the TV standard (PAL-x or NTSC-x) to match the one used in your
      country.) Again, the server comes up with TV-out disabled. Pressing
      Ctl-Fn-Alt-; enables high resolution (1024x768) TV-out, centered on
      the virtual desktop. Pressing Ctl-Fn-Alt-; repeatedly cycles among
      the available TV-out modes.

      Starting X with the "-layout Twin" option sets up X for dual-headed
      display (nifty!). Both the LCD and the external monitor are enabled,
      but this time they display different halves of a "widescreen"
      (3200x1200) virtual desktop. The configuration assumes that you place
      your notebook to the left of the external monitor. The external
      monitor must support 1600x1200.

      For me, the NVidia driver fails to set up the external display ports
      correctly when you press Ctl-Fn-Alt-; for the first time after X comes
      up. Temporarily switching to another mode and back seems to fix this.
      If the external display looks scrambled, try pressing Ctl-Fn-Alt-;
      followed by Ctl-Fn-Alt-p.

      The list of modes that Ctl-Fn-Alt-p cycles through is fully
      configurable; see Option "MetaModes" in NVidia's (really nice) driver
      documentation.

      If you want to use one of the above layouts as default, you need to
      edit your XF86Config-4 accordingly, or add the -layout option to one
      or more of the following files:

      - If you start X manually with startx or xinit: /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc
      - If you use XDM: /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers
      - If you use KDE with KDM: /etc/kdm3/Xservers
      - If you use Gnome with GDM: some-similarly-named-file

      --
      Lőrentey Károly