Is 1600x1200 on 14" display ok?

  • vitaliano02
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002

      I found a nice offer for a Dell i4150 with a 14" UXGA display
      (1600x1200 resolution).
      I would like to install RedHat on it and I am afraid that with such a
      resolution text will be unreadable (at least with default X
      settings).
      I went through previous posted messages on related subjects but I am a
      bit confused.
      It is enough to increase DPI and/or change the font size? What about
      the icons? I have been told that now RH allows to use small/large
      font/icons like in Windows but I haven't found this option up to
      version 7.2 at least.
      Alternatively, does the screen looks ok with a "forced" lower
      resolution? I have been told it does but that is opposite to my past
      experience with LCD terminals.

      Any helps (solutions and problems found) would be very welcome.

      Thank you,

      Vitaliano

      PS: by the way, a lower resolution display, like 1400x1050 would cost
      me more (strange but true for such a Dell offer)..
    • Bill Sheehan
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
        On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, vitaliano02 wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I found a nice offer for a Dell i4150 with a 14" UXGA display
        > (1600x1200 resolution).
        > I would like to install RedHat on it and I am afraid that with such a
        > resolution text will be unreadable (at least with default X
        > settings).

        Hi Vitaliano,

        You can easily drive X to 1600x1200. I don't have the XF86Config file
        myself for it (I went for the lower res.), but I've seen them around.

        -- Bill
      • Peter Hayes
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
          On Tuesday 01 October 2002 11:03, vitaliano02 wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I found a nice offer for a Dell i4150 with a 14" UXGA display
          > (1600x1200 resolution).
          > I would like to install RedHat on it and I am afraid that with such a
          > resolution text will be unreadable (at least with default X
          > settings).
          > I went through previous posted messages on related subjects but I am a
          > bit confused.
          > It is enough to increase DPI and/or change the font size? What about
          > the icons? I have been told that now RH allows to use small/large
          > font/icons like in Windows but I haven't found this option up to
          > version 7.2 at least.

          I have a 15" 1600x1200 Ultrasharp display and it is excellent, but I'm not
          sure if I'd like that resolution on a 14" display, especially if it isn't
          Ultrasharp.

          Most apps, Knode / Kmail / etc have options to alter the font size.

          > Alternatively, does the screen looks ok with a "forced" lower
          > resolution? I have been told it does but that is opposite to my past
          > experience with LCD terminals.

          A forced lower resolution is not likely to look good. 800x600 on a 1600x1200
          would probably be ok since there's 2 LCDs per pixel as it were, but what a
          waste :) Otherwise, it's not a great idea.

          > Any helps (solutions and problems found) would be very welcome.
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > Vitaliano
          >
          > PS: by the way, a lower resolution display, like 1400x1050 would cost
          > me more (strange but true for such a Dell offer)..

          If the price is right I'd buy it and worry about the fonts later. YMMV