Re: 1600x1200 UXGA / NVidia on Mandrake 9.0?

  • Rich Hudak
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
      What setting should I use as a default so I can actually load X with
      my Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce2G0? I can't seem to find a
      configuration of X that actually works. I take it I'll have to
      install the Detonators again. I'm down with that. but does it
      matter which monitor I choose at install?

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Mcleod, Ian" <ian.mcleod@e...> wrote:
      > You forgot to add 'Load GLX' in the modules section of the config..
      >
      > What about the 1600x1200 UXGA screens? How can we beef up the
      resolution?
      > Will the group's XConfig need to be updated or can we continue to
      use the
      > files we get from the Yahoo site?

      references "nividia"
      > instead of "nv".
      >
      > That's it. Worked first time!
      >
      > NOTE: Remember that the versions of the KERNEL and GLX source RPMS
      must be
      > EXACTLY the same or it won't work.
      >
      > Regards
      >
      > Darren.

    • John Britton
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
        My working X config file pasted below for my i82k with GeForce2Go, John.

        # File generated by XFdrake.

        # **********************************************************************
        # Refer to the XF86Config man page for details about the format of
        # this file.
        # **********************************************************************

        Section "Files"
        # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
        # By default, Mandrake 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
        # the X server to render fonts.
        FontPath "unix/:-1"
        EndSection

        Section "ServerFlags"
        #DontZap # disable <Crtl><Alt><BS> (server abort)
        AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse
        doesn't work
        #DontZoom # disable <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> (resolution switching)
        EndSection

        Section "Module"
        Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
        Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
        Load "extmod"
        Load "type1"
        Load "freetype"
        Load "glx" # 3D layer
        EndSection

        Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Keyboard1"
        Driver "Keyboard"
        Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
        Option "XkbOptions" ""
        EndSection

        Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Mouse1"
        Driver "mouse"
        Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
        Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option "Emulate3Buttons"
        Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
        EndSection

        Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "USBMouse"
        Driver "mouse"
        Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option "Name" "AutoDetected"
        Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option "Vendor" "AutoDetected"
        Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        EndSection

        Section "Monitor"
        Identifier "monitor1"
        VendorName "Dell"
        ModelName "Dell 1600X Laptop Display Panel"
        HorizSync 31.5-90.0
        VertRefresh 59.0-85.0
        Option "DPMS"

        # Sony Vaio C1(X,XS,VE,VN)?
        # 1024x480 @ 85.6 Hz, 48 kHz hsync
        ModeLine "1024x480" 65.00 1024 1032 1176 1344 480 488 494 563
        -hsync -vsync

        # TV fullscreen mode or DVD fullscreen output.
        # 768x576 @ 79 Hz, 50 kHz hsync
        ModeLine "768x576" 50.00 768 832 846 1000 576 590 595 630

        # 768x576 @ 100 Hz, 61.6 kHz hsync
        ModeLine "768x576" 63.07 768 800 960 1024 576 578 590 616
        EndSection

        Section "Device"
        Identifier "device1"
        VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"
        Driver "nvidia"
        Option "CursorShadow" "1"
        Option "UseEdidFreqs" "1"
        Option "BackingStore" "1"
        EndSection

        Section "Screen"
        Identifier "screen1"
        Device "device1"
        Monitor "monitor1"
        DefaultColorDepth 24

        Subsection "Display"
        Depth 8
        Modes "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubsection

        Subsection "Display"
        Depth 15
        Modes "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubsection

        Subsection "Display"
        Depth 16
        Modes "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubsection

        Subsection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Modes "1600x1200" "1400x1050" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
        "640x480"
        EndSubsection
        EndSection

        Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "layout1"
        InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice "USBMouse" "SendCoreEvents"
        Screen "screen1"
        Option "BlankTime" "10"
        # Option "StandByTime" "15"
        EndSection

        Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "AllowMouseOpenFail"
        EndSection

        Section "DRI"
        Mode 0666
        EndSection

        On Tuesday 01 October 2002 15:03, Rich Hudak wrote:
        > What setting should I use as a default so I can actually load X with
        > my Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce2G0? I can't seem to find a
        > configuration of X that actually works. I take it I'll have to
        > install the Detonators again. I'm down with that. but does it
        > matter which monitor I choose at install?
        >
        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Mcleod, Ian" <ian.mcleod@e...> wrote:
        > > You forgot to add 'Load GLX' in the modules section of the config..
        > >
        > > What about the 1600x1200 UXGA screens? How can we beef up the
        >
        > resolution?
        >
        > > Will the group's XConfig need to be updated or can we continue to
        >
        > use the
        >
        > > files we get from the Yahoo site?

        Centre for Bioengineering,
        Trinity College,
        University of Dublin,
        Ireland
        www.biomechanics.ie
      • Mcleod, Ian
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2002
          Option "UseEdidFreqs" "1"
              Option "BackingStore" "1"

          What are these lines for?
        • John Britton
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2002
            Option "UseEdidFreqs" "boolean"
            This option causes the X server to use the HorizSync
            and VertRefresh ranges given in a display device's EDID,
            if any. EDID provided range information will override
            the HorizSync and VertRefresh ranges specified in the
            Monitor section. If a display device does not provide an
            EDID, or the EDID doesn't specify an hsync or vrefresh
            range, then the X server will default to the HorizSync
            and VertRefresh ranges specified in the Monitor section.

            EDID is a feature of some displays which allows the display to tell X what its
            specs. are

            Backing Store

            One of the features that distinguishes various window systems is how they
            handle the issue of backing store. When part of a window that was previously
            not visible is exposed, there are two basic approaches that a window system
            can take. Some keep track of the current contents of all windows and
            automatically repair any damage to their visible regions (retained windows).
            This saved information is known as the backing store. Others simply report
            the damage to the program that created the window and leave repairing the
            visible region to the program (non-retained windows).

            Note: Using BackingStore "1" (i.e. on) can degrade your X performance - I use
            it because it improves the performance of a finite element package I use day
            to day

            --
            Centre for Bioengineering,
            Trinity College,