[linux-dell-laptops] Re: Latitude CPi R400GT + Xwin 3.3.3.1

  • kinkie@tiscalinet.it
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 3, 1999
      tcpbg-@... wrote:
      =150
      > Hi Kinkie,
      >
      > kinki-@... wrote:
      > > > I'm having troubles with the Xwindows on my a Latitude CPi R400GT
      > [...]
      > >
      > > Solution: override XFree's autodetect
      > [...]
      > >
      > > Section "Device"
      > > Identifier "NeoMagic"
      > > Chipset "NM2200"
      > > VideoRam 4096
      > > EndSection
      > [...]
      > > That's all folks.
      >
      > Not really with me ;)
      > Before post on this list I've already tested with *ALL* of the
      NeoMagic
      > Chipsets that the X_SVGA server claims to be compliant and changing
      the
      > VideoRam also but no one works for me, that includes the NM2200
      Chipset.
      > Really sad. :(

      Very strange. Maybe you're using an old XFree? Mine is the one supplied
      with a stock Mandrake 6.1 (should be 3.3.5, I'm not sure though).

      > The next try will be to use the frame buffer device (X_FDEV server),
      > maybe that? :)

      Maybe. I wish you luck, and please post your results.

      > Thanx for your post, Kinkie.

      You're welcome.
    • uzanmike@club-internet.fr
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 4, 1999
        Hello, I'm Mike (i'm french) end i was made last week-end the config of
        X windows for Dell Latitude Cpi R400GT and the file XF86Config is in my
        HDD.
        Please mail me on uzanmike@... if you want it. I've got a
        Dell and my config display on 1024x768 24 bit at 65 htz.
        I think, that my help was very big
        Friendly, Miko
        Bye

        tbear_7-@... wrote:
        =148
        > tcpbg-@... wrote:
        > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-dell-laptops/?sta
        rt
        > =135
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I'm having troubles with the Xwindows on my a Latitude CPi R400GT
        > > The graphic card is a Neomagic MagicMedia 256ZX with 4Mb SGRAM and
        AGP

      • tcpbgp@softhome.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 4, 1999
          Hi again Kinkie,

          kinki-@... wrote:

          > > The next try will be to use the frame buffer device (X_FDEV server),
          > > maybe that? :)
          >
          > Maybe. I wish you luck, and please post your results.

          :)

          It works and even i can use 48 lines on the console 'cause now is
          treated as a graphic device with the XF86_FBDev server (Frame Buffer
          Device server)

          My 'make menuconfig' options that seems to be importants:

          Code maturity level options
          [*]Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers

          Console drivers
          [*]VGA text console
          [*]Video mode selection support
          [*]Support for frame buffer devices (EXPERIMENTAL)
          [*]VESA VGA graphics console
          [*]Advanced low level driver options
          <*>Monochrome support
          <*>2 bpp packed pixels support
          <*>4 bpp packed pixels support
          <*>8 bpp packed pixels support
          <*>16 bpp packed pixels support
          <*>24 bpp packed pixels support
          <*>32 bpp packed pixels support
          [*]VGA 16 colors planar support
          <*>VGA characters/attributes support
          [*]Support only 8 pixels wide fonts
          [*]Select compiled-in fonts
          [*] VGA 8x8 font
          [*] VGA 8x16 font
          [*] Sparc console 8x16 font
          [*] Pearl (old m68k) console 8x8 font
          [*] Acorn console 8x8 font

          Now my /etc/lilo.conf, don't miss the vga=791!

          # LILO configuration file
          #
          boot = /dev/hda
          message = /boot/boot_message.txt
          timeout = 100
          prompt
          # Linux bootable partition config begins
          vga=791
          image = /2213_fbdev
          root = /dev/hda2
          label = fbdev
          read-only
          image = /2213
          root = /dev/hda2
          label = 2213
          read-only
          # Linux bootable partition config ends
          # DOS bootable partition config begins
          other = /dev/hda3
          label = Win
          table = /dev/hda
          # DOS bootable partition config ends

          And now my /etc/XF86Config but only the most interesting parts:

          # **********************************************************************
          # Monitor section
          # **********************************************************************
          Section "Monitor"
          Identifier "Dell LCD"
          VendorName "Dell"
          ModelName "CPi R400GT"
          HorizSync 31.5 - 60
          VertRefresh 50-90
          Modeline "1024x768" 78.654 1024 1056 1184 1312 768 772 776 792
          -hsync -vsync
          EndSection

          Section "Device"
          Identifier "Primary card"
          VendorName "Neomagic"
          BoardName "256ZX"
          VideoRam 4096
          #Chipset "NM2200"
          EndSection

          Section "Screen"
          Driver "FBDev"
          Device "Primary card"
          Monitor "Dell LCD"
          SubSection "Display"
          Depth 16
          Modes "default"
          EndSubSection
          EndSection
          ------------------------------------

          This works on my Dell Latitude CPi R400GT with Linux v2.2.13

          All of this information has been achieved on the Net but sorry! I don't
          remember where! :((

          That's all folks!

          I hope this can help you,

          Alf.
        • tcpbgp@softhome.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 5, 1999
            Hi Mike,

            uzanmik-@... wrote:
            > Hello, I'm Mike (i'm french) end i was made last week-end the config
            of
            > X windows for Dell Latitude Cpi R400GT and the file XF86Config is in
            my
            > HDD.

            Plz, can you post the Monitor, Device and Screen section of your
            XF86Config on the list?

            Cheers,

            Alf.
          • matias.magnusson@cacheflow.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 1999
              Could you please send me this XF86Config cause my X is not working at
              all.

              /Matias

              =155

            • f3668551@ppp.kornet21.net
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 5, 1999
                It works well on my laptop.

                Wolf

                # File generated by XConfigurator.

                # **********************************************************************
                # Refer to the XF86Config(4/5) man page for details about the format of
                # this file.
                # **********************************************************************

                # **********************************************************************
                # Files section. This allows default font and rgb paths to be set
                # **********************************************************************

                Section "Files"

                # The location of the RGB database. Note, this is the name of the
                # file minus the extension (like ".txt" or ".db"). There is normally
                # no need to change the default.

                RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

                # Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (they are concatenated together)
                # By default, Red Hat 6.0 and later now use a font server independent of
                # the X server to render fonts.

                FontPath "unix/:-1"

                EndSection

                # **********************************************************************
                # Server flags section.
                # **********************************************************************

                Section "ServerFlags"

                # Uncomment this to cause a core dump at the spot where a signal is
                # received. This may leave the console in an unusable state, but
                may
                # provide a better stack trace in the core dump to aid in debugging
                #NoTrapSignals

                # Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><BS> server abort
                sequence
                # This allows clients to receive this key event.
                #DontZap

                # Uncomment this to disable the <Crtl><Alt><KP_+>/<KP_-> mode
                switching
                # sequences. This allows clients to receive these key events.
                #DontZoom

                EndSection

                # **********************************************************************
                # Input devices
                # **********************************************************************

                # **********************************************************************
                # Keyboard section
                # **********************************************************************

                Section "Keyboard"

                Protocol "Standard"

                # when using XQUEUE, comment out the above line, and uncomment the
                # following line
                #Protocol "Xqueue"

                AutoRepeat 500 5

                # Let the server do the NumLock processing. This should only be
                # required when using pre-R6 clients
                #ServerNumLock

                # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with
                xset(1))
                #Xleds 1 2 3

                #To set the LeftAlt to Meta, RightAlt key to ModeShift,
                #RightCtl key to Compose, and ScrollLock key to ModeLock:

                LeftAlt Meta
                RightAlt Meta
                ScrollLock Compose
                RightCtl Control

                # To disable the XKEYBOARD extension, uncomment XkbDisable.

                # XkbDisable

                # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
                # lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
                # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
                # XkbModel "pc102"
                # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
                # XkbModel "microsoft"
                #
                # Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
                # For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
                # XkbLayout "de"
                # or:
                # XkbLayout "de"
                # XkbVariant "nodeadkeys"
                #
                # If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
                # control keys, use:
                # XkbOptions "ctrl:swapcaps"

                # These are the default XKB settings for XFree86
                # XkbRules "xfree86"
                # XkbModel "pc101"
                # XkbLayout "us"
                # XkbVariant ""
                # XkbOptions ""

                XkbKeycodes "xfree86"
                XkbTypes "default"
                XkbCompat "default"
                XkbSymbols "us(pc101)"
                XkbGeometry "pc"
                XkbRules "xfree86"
                XkbModel "pc101"
                XkbLayout "us"
                EndSection

                # **********************************************************************
                # Pointer section
                # **********************************************************************

                Section "Pointer"
                Protocol "PS/2"
                Device "/dev/mouse"

                # When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
                # the following line.

                # Protocol "Xqueue"

                # Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice

                # BaudRate 9600
                # SampleRate 150

                # Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
                # Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)

                Emulate3Buttons
                Emulate3Timeout 50

                # ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice

                # ChordMiddle

                EndSection

                # **********************************************************************
                # Monitor section
                # **********************************************************************

                # Any number of monitor sections may be present

                Section "Monitor"

                Identifier "Samsung SyncMaster 17GLsi"
                VendorName "Unknown"
                ModelName "Unknown"

                # HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
                # HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
                # comma separated list of ranges of values.
                # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
                # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

                HorizSync 30-85

                # VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
                # VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
                # comma separated list of ranges of values.
                # NOTE: THE VALUES HERE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY. REFER TO YOUR MONITOR'S
                # USER MANUAL FOR THE CORRECT NUMBERS.

                VertRefresh 50-120

                # Modes can be specified in two formats. A compact one-line format, or
                # a multi-line format.

                # These two are equivalent

                # ModeLine "1024x768i" 45 1024 1048 1208 1264 768 776 784 817
                Interlace

                # Mode "1024x768i"
                # DotClock 45
                # HTimings 1024 1048 1208 1264
                # VTimings 768 776 784 817
                # Flags "Interlace"
                # EndMode

                # This is a set of standard mode timings. Modes that are out of monitor
                spec
                # are automatically deleted by the server (provided the HorizSync and
                # VertRefresh lines are correct), so there's no immediate need to
                # delete mode timings (unless particular mode timings don't work on your
                # monitor). With these modes, the best standard mode that your monitor
                # and video card can support for a given resolution is automatically
                # used.

                # 640x400 @ 70 Hz, 31.5 kHz hsync
                Modeline "640x400" 25.175 640 664 760 800 400 409 411 450
                # 640x480 @ 60 Hz, 31.5 kHz hsync
                Modeline "640x480" 25.175 640 664 760 800 480 491 493 525
                # 800x600 @ 56 Hz, 35.15 kHz hsync
                ModeLine "800x600" 36 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625
                # 1024x768 @ 87 Hz interlaced, 35.5 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1024x768" 44.9 1024 1048 1208 1264 768 776 784 817
                Interlace

                # 640x400 @ 85 Hz, 37.86 kHz hsync
                Modeline "640x400" 31.5 640 672 736 832 400 401 404 445
                -HSync +VSync
                # 640x480 @ 72 Hz, 36.5 kHz hsync
                Modeline "640x480" 31.5 640 680 720 864 480 488 491 521
                # 640x480 @ 75 Hz, 37.50 kHz hsync
                ModeLine "640x480" 31.5 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500
                -HSync -VSync
                # 800x600 @ 60 Hz, 37.8 kHz hsync
                Modeline "800x600" 40 800 840 968 1056 600 601 605 628
                +hsync +vsync

                # 640x480 @ 85 Hz, 43.27 kHz hsync
                Modeline "640x480" 36 640 696 752 832 480 481 484 509
                -HSync -VSync
                # 1152x864 @ 89 Hz interlaced, 44 kHz hsync
                ModeLine "1152x864" 65 1152 1168 1384 1480 864 865 875 985
                Interlace

                # 800x600 @ 72 Hz, 48.0 kHz hsync
                Modeline "800x600" 50 800 856 976 1040 600 637 643 666
                +hsync +vsync
                # 1024x768 @ 60 Hz, 48.4 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1024x768" 65 1024 1032 1176 1344 768 771 777 806
                -hsync -vsync

                # 640x480 @ 100 Hz, 53.01 kHz hsync
                Modeline "640x480" 45.8 640 672 768 864 480 488 494 530
                -HSync -VSync
                # 1152x864 @ 60 Hz, 53.5 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1152x864" 89.9 1152 1216 1472 1680 864 868 876 892
                -HSync -VSync
                # 800x600 @ 85 Hz, 55.84 kHz hsync
                Modeline "800x600" 60.75 800 864 928 1088 600 616 621 657
                -HSync -VSync

                # 1024x768 @ 70 Hz, 56.5 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1024x768" 75 1024 1048 1184 1328 768 771 777 806
                -hsync -vsync
                # 1280x1024 @ 87 Hz interlaced, 51 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1280x1024" 80 1280 1296 1512 1568 1024 1025 1037 1165
                Interlace

                # 800x600 @ 100 Hz, 64.02 kHz hsync
                Modeline "800x600" 69.65 800 864 928 1088 600 604 610 640
                -HSync -VSync
                # 1024x768 @ 76 Hz, 62.5 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1024x768" 85 1024 1032 1152 1360 768 784 787 823
                # 1152x864 @ 70 Hz, 62.4 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1152x864" 92 1152 1208 1368 1474 864 865 875 895
                # 1280x1024 @ 61 Hz, 64.2 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1280x1024" 110 1280 1328 1512 1712 1024 1025 1028 1054

                # 1024x768 @ 85 Hz, 70.24 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1024x768" 98.9 1024 1056 1216 1408 768 782 788 822
                -HSync -VSync
                # 1152x864 @ 78 Hz, 70.8 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1152x864" 110 1152 1240 1324 1552 864 864 876 908

                # 1280x1024 @ 70 Hz, 74.59 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1280x1024" 126.5 1280 1312 1472 1696 1024 1032 1040 1068
                -HSync -VSync
                # 1600x1200 @ 60Hz, 75.00 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1600x1200" 162 1600 1664 1856 2160 1200 1201 1204 1250
                +HSync +VSync
                # 1152x864 @ 84 Hz, 76.0 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1152x864" 135 1152 1464 1592 1776 864 864 876 908

                # 1280x1024 @ 74 Hz, 78.85 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1280x1024" 135 1280 1312 1456 1712 1024 1027 1030 1064

                # 1024x768 @ 100Hz, 80.21 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1024x768" 115.5 1024 1056 1248 1440 768 771 781 802
                -HSync -VSync
                # 1280x1024 @ 76 Hz, 81.13 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1280x1024" 135 1280 1312 1416 1664 1024 1027 1030 1064

                # 1600x1200 @ 70 Hz, 87.50 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1600x1200" 189 1600 1664 1856 2160 1200 1201 1204 1250
                -HSync -VSync
                # 1152x864 @ 100 Hz, 89.62 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1152x864" 137.65 1152 1184 1312 1536 864 866 885 902
                -HSync -VSync
                # 1280x1024 @ 85 Hz, 91.15 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1280x1024" 157.5 1280 1344 1504 1728 1024 1025 1028 1072
                +HSync +VSync
                # 1600x1200 @ 75 Hz, 93.75 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1600x1200" 202.5 1600 1664 1856 2160 1200 1201 1204 1250
                +HSync +VSync
                # 1600x1200 @ 85 Hz, 105.77 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1600x1200" 220 1600 1616 1808 2080 1200 1204 1207 1244
                +HSync +VSync
                # 1280x1024 @ 100 Hz, 107.16 kHz hsync
                Modeline "1280x1024" 181.75 1280 1312 1440 1696 1024 1031 1046 1072
                -HSync -VSync

                # 1800x1440 @ 64Hz, 96.15 kHz hsync
                ModeLine "1800X1440" 230 1800 1896 2088 2392 1440 1441 1444 1490
                +HSync +VSync
                # 1800x1440 @ 70Hz, 104.52 kHz hsync
                ModeLine "1800X1440" 250 1800 1896 2088 2392 1440 1441 1444 1490
                +HSync +VSync

                # 512x384 @ 78 Hz, 31.50 kHz hsync
                Modeline "512x384" 20.160 512 528 592 640 384 385 388 404
                -HSync -VSync
                # 512x384 @ 85 Hz, 34.38 kHz hsync
                Modeline "512x384" 22 512 528 592 640 384 385 388 404
                -HSync -VSync

                # Low-res Doublescan modes
                # If your chipset does not support doublescan, you get a 'squashed'
                # resolution like 320x400.

                # 320x200 @ 70 Hz, 31.5 kHz hsync, 8:5 aspect ratio
                Modeline "320x200" 12.588 320 336 384 400 200 204 205 225
                Doublescan
                # 320x240 @ 60 Hz, 31.5 kHz hsync, 4:3 aspect ratio
                Modeline "320x240" 12.588 320 336 384 400 240 245 246 262
                Doublescan
                # 320x240 @ 72 Hz, 36.5 kHz hsync
                Modeline "320x240" 15.750 320 336 384 400 240 244 246 262
                Doublescan
                # 400x300 @ 56 Hz, 35.2 kHz hsync, 4:3 aspect ratio
                ModeLine "400x300" 18 400 416 448 512 300 301 302 312
                Doublescan
                # 400x300 @ 60 Hz, 37.8 kHz hsync
                Modeline "400x300" 20 400 416 480 528 300 301 303 314
                Doublescan
                # 400x300 @ 72 Hz, 48.0 kHz hsync
                Modeline "400x300" 25 400 424 488 520 300 319 322 333
                Doublescan
                # 480x300 @ 56 Hz, 35.2 kHz hsync, 8:5 aspect ratio
                ModeLine "480x300" 21.656 480 496 536 616 300 301 302 312
                Doublescan
                # 480x300 @ 60 Hz, 37.8 kHz hsync
                Modeline "480x300" 23.890 480 496 576 632 300 301 303 314
                Doublescan
                # 480x300 @ 63 Hz, 39.6 kHz hsync
                Modeline "480x300" 25 480 496 576 632 300 301 303 314
                Doublescan
                # 480x300 @ 72 Hz, 48.0 kHz hsync
                Modeline "480x300" 29.952 480 504 584 624 300 319 322 333
                Doublescan

                EndSection

                # **********************************************************************
                # Graphics device section
                # **********************************************************************

                # Any number of graphics device sections may be present

                Section "Device"
                Identifier "Generic VGA"
                VendorName "Unknown"
                BoardName "Unknown"
                Chipset "generic"

                # VideoRam 256

                # Clocks 25.2 28.3

                EndSection

                # Device configured by Xconfigurator:

                Section "Device"
                Identifier "Neomagic Corporation|[MagicGraph 256ZX]"
                VendorName "Unknown"
                BoardName "Unknown"
                VideoRam 4096
                Chipset "NM2200"
                # IOBase 0xfea00000
                # MemBase 0xfd000000
                # VideoRam 2048
                # DacSpeed 90
                # Option "linear"
                # Option "nolinear"
                # Option "sw_cursor"
                # Option "hw_cursor"
                # Option "no_accel"
                # Option "intern_disp"
                # Option "extern_disp"
                # Option "mmio"
                # Option "no_mmio"
                # Option "lcd_center"
                # Option "no_stretch"
                # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
                EndSection

                # **********************************************************************
                # Screen sections
                # **********************************************************************

                # The Colour SVGA server

                Section "Screen"
                Driver "svga"
                # Use Device "Generic VGA" for Standard VGA 320x200x256
                #Device "Generic VGA"
                Device "Neomagic Corporation|[MagicGraph 256ZX]"
                Monitor "Samsung SyncMaster 17GLsi"
                Subsection "Display"
                Depth 8
                # Omit the Modes line for the "Generic VGA" device
                Modes "1024x768" "1152x864" "1280x1024"
                ViewPort 0 0
                Virtual 1024 768
                EndSubsection
                Subsection "Display"
                Depth 16
                Modes "1024x768" "1152x864" "1280x1024"
                ViewPort 0 0
                EndSubsection
                Subsection "Display"
                Depth 32
                Modes "800x600" "1024x768" "1152x864"
                ViewPort 0 0
                EndSubsection
                EndSection

                # The 16-color VGA server

                Section "Screen"
                Driver "vga16"
                Device "Generic VGA"
                Monitor "Samsung SyncMaster 17GLsi"
                Subsection "Display"
                Modes "640x480" "800x600"
                ViewPort 0 0
                EndSubsection
                EndSection

                # The Mono server

                Section "Screen"
                Driver "vga2"
                Device "Generic VGA"
                Monitor "Samsung SyncMaster 17GLsi"
                Subsection "Display"
                Modes "640x480" "800x600"
                ViewPort 0 0
                EndSubsection
                EndSection

                # The accelerated servers (S3, Mach32, Mach8, 8514, P9000, AGX, W32,
                Mach64
                # I128, and S3V)
                Section "Screen"
                Driver "accel"