RedHat on removable harddrive?

  • danaphammond
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 21, 2002
      I have a Dell Inspiron 8000, along with a 20GB removable harddrive.
      Is it possible to leave my internal drive (primary) with Windows2000,
      then load RedHat on the removable drive, and reboot on the removable
      drive?

      If so, where can I find the steps? I.e., do I need to do anything
      to the bios, which would not adversely affect access to my primary
      drive, yet be able to boot on Linux?

      Has anyone done this?

      Thanks in advance.
    • Jim Richardson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 25, 2002
        On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 10:00:08PM -0000, danaphammond wrote:
        > I have a Dell Inspiron 8000, along with a 20GB removable harddrive.
        > Is it possible to leave my internal drive (primary) with Windows2000,
        > then load RedHat on the removable drive, and reboot on the removable
        > drive?
        >
        > If so, where can I find the steps? I.e., do I need to do anything
        > to the bios, which would not adversely affect access to my primary
        > drive, yet be able to boot on Linux?
        >
        > Has anyone done this?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.

        I have something similar, although without the W2k. I have Debian (and
        gentoo and SuSE) on the internal drive, (Debian is what I use, I play
        around with the others) and I installed Mandrake9 beta on the removable
        20GB drive. (This is all on an Inspiron 8100) I simply plugged in the
        removeable, and started the install, when it got to the lilo/grub bit, I
        told it to leave it alone and manually added an entry to the lilo.conf
        the next time I booted to Debian. Works great. I have to remember to
        have the removable installed anytime I run lilo, or it doesn't add the
        Mandrake install to the lilo menu. But other than that, no problems.
        Grub would work fine too I suspect, but I have little experience with
        it. I have no idea how W2K deals with booting "other" OSen.

        --
        Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26, 2002
          On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 17:00, danaphammond wrote:
          > I have a Dell Inspiron 8000, along with a 20GB removable harddrive.
          > Is it possible to leave my internal drive (primary) with Windows2000,
          > then load RedHat on the removable drive, and reboot on the removable
          > drive?
          >
          > If so, where can I find the steps? I.e., do I need to do anything
          > to the bios, which would not adversely affect access to my primary
          > drive, yet be able to boot on Linux?

          I used my roommate's Inspiron 8100 to install Debian on a removable disk
          a few weeks ago. I was attempting to set up a disk that we could give
          to students where I work who wanted a Linux laptop to check out for a
          while. In the BIOS, I set the boot order to have the drive bay disk
          boot before the internal IDE drive.

          This gets a bit confusing for the system, since when the computer is
          initially booted, the internal and drive bay disks appear to be swapped
          to LILO. However, once Linux boots, it sees the internal disk as hda
          and the drive bay disk as hdc.

          What I did was to install Debian up to the point where it wants to
          install LILO on the disk. I declined to have Debian run /sbin/lilo, but
          edited /target/etc/lilo.conf to swap the hard drives (/target is the
          mount point of the root of the filesystem being installed on Debian)

          disk=/dev/hda
          bios=0x81
          disk=/dev/hdc
          bios=0x80

          Since /dev/hda shows up as the second drive in the BIOS (0x81) at boot
          and /dev/hdc shows up as the first drive (0x80).

          The rest of the file should be pretty normal, with boot=/dev/hdc and
          root=/dev/hdc1 (or whatever partition you put /boot on).

          Please note that I'm doing this from memory, so keep some boot disks
          handy.. I think you might even be able to use hdparm to set the
          internal IDE drive to read-only during the install (though I've never
          done that).

          --
          _ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ ___ _ _ __ Everything that you know is
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2002
            I have the same problem as Jim excpet that I am trying to do it on a
            Dell Latittude C600 (also with removable hard drive).