Fresh Install

  • mrpierce303
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2002
      Want to do a fresh install of Mandrake8.2 and XP Pro on a spare 30Gb
      HD on an Inspiron 8100 with 256Mb Ram, Nvidia 32Mb, UVGA (1600 x 1200)
      What is my best approach, i.e.,
      - How much of the partition should I give to XP, I share the XP
      partition for most of the data file as they exist from work.
      - How many Mb should I give /boot /root /usr/local (definitely want
      to separte this partition by itself.
      - Which boot loader will be best to use.
      - What OS should I install first?
      - System has a docking station so, I'll use 2 NICs. Anything I should
      be looking out for here?

      I'll use DHCP to connect to an exisiting LIN home server.

      Appreciate any help is I want this to be my weekend project.
    • ronin2@bellatlantic.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 18, 2002
        I don't use Windows XP, but I've dual- and triple- booted Linux with MS
        stuff for years.

        Generally I'd recommend using as small a partition as possible for XP --
        leave enough room for the OS and the apps you intend to use, and little
        more. Format to taste, but I recommend FAT32 (you can convert FAT32 to
        NTFS after installation, but not vice versa).

        Create a FAT32 partition to share data; configure all your Windows
        applications to save templates and data files to this partition. Make it
        large enough to hold all the stuff you want to access from either OS,
        especially if you save audio or video files.

        It's been reported that XP does something strange with partition tables,
        and that after installing XP but before installing Linux you should run
        Partition Magic and rewrite the partition table without making any
        changes. This is enough to straighten things out. I don't know this
        first-hand.

        If you have installed XP using FAT32, fire up tomsrtbt (Tom's Root/Boot, a
        single-floppy Linux distro) and save the MBR to a file. Mount the XP
        partition (say, to /mnt) and do: "dd if=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
        of=/mnt/bootsect.xp". Believe me, if you don't do this step at some point
        you'll wish you had. At some point you'll want to save this file to a
        floppy.

        Now install Linux. I have no recommendation for partitioning. I strongly
        recommend grub as the boot loader. See
        for a good intro to grub. I believe the Mandrake installer will detect XP
        and set up grub with a choice to boot it.

        Have fun, and let us know how it goes.
      • Roger
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 19, 2002
          --- ronin2@... wrote:
          > It's been reported that XP does something strange with partition
          > tables,
          > and that after installing XP but before installing Linux you should
          > run
          > Partition Magic and rewrite the partition table without making any
          > changes. This is enough to straighten things out. I don't know this
          > first-hand.
          >

          > for a good intro to grub. I believe the Mandrake installer will
          > detect XP
          > and set up grub with a choice to boot it.

          I did a dual boot XP / RH 7.3
          Installed XP first, during the install partitioned the drive and only
          formatted the XP partition.
          Installed Redhat, it didn't setup grub for xp. After the install, I
          had to edit grub.conf with:
          title windows
          root (hd0,0)
          makeactive
          chainloader +1

          I don't want the files from one platform visible on the other. The
          couple of times I needed files from the other platform, I just mounted
          /dev/hda1 on /mnt/cdrom temporarily to move the files.

          Roger

          http://sbc.yahoo.com